This may sound very retarded to most...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ryanverbena, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. ryanverbena

    ryanverbena Member

    Nov 8, 2007
    Okay so i am an absolute newb when it comes to recording. Been playing for about 7 years and the only way i have recorded riffs is by using an old dictaphone. Anyways i downloaded audacity, and have a shure sm57 in the mail. Just wanting to know what kind of cable i need to connect the mic to my laptop? Do i need to covert it to a usb input somehow or does it go into on of the other inputs? Cheers
  2. devinb

    devinb Member

    Jun 28, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    You'll probably need a usb analog/digital converter, if you have a Mac, it has a built in mic jack, and you can just get a mic cable that is XLR to 1/8 inch. I'm pretty sure the usb interface would get you a much higher quality sound.

    You may want to consider some sort of pre-amp too, or you'll end up with a fair amount of hiss if you try to do vocals or acoustic guitars with the 57. If you're just doing electrics, and can turn up enough, you might be okay without it for just recording riffs and such.

Share This Page