this might seem like a weird question, but...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GibsonMarshallguy41, Mar 9, 2015.

1. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

... is there such thing as a transparent, low gain, fuzzy overdrive? just wondering if something like that exists. preferably something heavy on the low end.

2. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

skreddy screwdriver.

3. JCJones

JCJones Member

I like the same kind of thing, I would think it needs to have a germanium chip. The Skreddy does have that, had one a few years ago but I can't remember what it sounded like. I keep meaning to try the EH Germanium OD but haven't gotten around to it, but in order to get some fuzziness to the sound I would think you might need a GE based OD. The Rat has a fuzzy tone but maybe not so much low end.

4. YETI

YETI Silver Supporting Member

That sounds like a Red Llama with the gain rolled back

5. Ghost Dancer

Ghost Dancer Member

There are a lot out there. A Red Llama, Colorsound Overdriver, or Tweed/Supro in-a-box-pedals would be my first suggestions. I've built and used both the RL and CSO with great results.

6. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I think lots of fuzzes are fairly transparent and low gain with the guitar volume rolled back. Fuzz faces / sun faces are know for this in particular.

7. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

BAT Black Forest can do this.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Swart Fuzzy Boost - one of my favorite pedals

It is highly tailorable and cleans up beautifully.

It can do fuzz and also chimey open distortion (think a DOD 250/Greer Vintage 390 without all the compression).

9. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I agree with the comments about the Screwdriver and the classic Ge-fuzzes too (e.g. Fuzz Face).

The Fuzzy Boost has Ge too.

10. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

GE treble boosts will get you there as well

11. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

PTD Mini-bone, with a GeSi switch, has a nice overdrive range.

12. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Roger Mayer Voodoo Boost with gain past 2 o'clock and the Fatness knob crancked

13. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

A tonebender set very low, also the Fulltone Catalyst is a pedal that was designed with clean boost/fuzz in mind.

14. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

Here's a weird suggestion: Dr. Scientist The Elements. Turn the gain up in low-gain mode, and it'll do almost exactly what you've described. Tons of EQ choices, too. And pretty transparent in low-gain mode.

15. Named

Named Supporting Member

This is a good rec. I had a Black Forest for a while and it can most definitely do what you're asking for.

16. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

some great suggestions here... thanks a lot, people.

and what I'm looking for is definitely more transparent OD than fuzz (low gain). I'm thinking only a subtle hint of fuzzy-ness. something that can be used along with a mild or moderate amount of amp distortion.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Red Llama and Crowther Hotcake.

18. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

My top 2 were said (Screwdriver and Red Llama) but I suggest also checking out the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver - excellent pedal with either strats or HBs

Also you might like the JColoccia Horus Overdrive. Nice clear OD that can get fuzzy if you crank up the Growl control.

Oh and also maybe a Cornish G2 - if you like your fuzz more on the muff side - there are clone kits available if your are a DIY guy.

19. meowmers

meowmers Member

Germanium styled.

My Lumpy's Class A Germanium does it, the Skreddy Screwdriver and Hybrid Fuzz Driver and LMMD does it. The Analogman Sunface NKT275 does it

20. JCJones

JCJones Member

This thread has got me looking for other options for fuzzed out overdrive tones. The Red Llama had not been on my radar before but the clips I've heard have been impressive. And of course there a lot of DIY kits and clones of this pedal out there. Mojo Hand Mule seems close and it's a smaller pedal but the price is better for the Way Huge.

The next question is what kind of music is for? 70's rock, Blues or ? I just like the sound, sometimes people associate that cranked Tweed thing with Neil Young and so the Durham Crazy Horse comes to mind, but that's really pricey at least to me. I've never found that Tweed style pedals (like the Clark Gainster) are fuzzy enough for that sound, not to me anyway.