This new area was needed

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by Brian Scherzer, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Putting a new forum up for people to post demo soundclips of different gear was long overdue. Here you go!

2. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I agree this new area was needed but please, let's start being more diligent with specific equipment being used for the clips. To me it does no good to post a clip of "my favorite new amp" but leave out the fact that I have an Eventide Harmonizer in the loop or the fact I used a $1500 mic on the cab. Most likely people are going ask anyway. :)

3. xroads

xroads Member

Thank you very much!!
    the member soundclips area was not the right place for these clips, IMHO.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Cool idea. Are you moving all the existing clips? I still see some room for ambiguity. For example, you post a clip of a tune you want to "show off" but you mention the equipment you used. Does that make it a gear demo? What's the criteria?

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

A few previous clips were moved.

My take personally is that if you mention the equipment used, you're demoing the equipment, even if your original intent was just to show off a song.

Scott

6. jzucker

Just to play devil's advocate that's going to be 95% of the clips that are posted in the member's soundclips section. Also, be prepared for folks complaining about their stuff being moved when so and so's clips were not. :D

[edit] - Seems to me like this is going to open up a pandora's box for the moderators. I was perusing the member soundclips today and almost all of them are equipment demos of some type. I suspect that the criteria for a clip being a demo or member one is going to be how many whiners complain it. IMO, trying to legislate categories for where a clip can go just opens up the floodgate for complaints. Folks complaining about a particular poster they think is spamming, folks complaining that a particular member clip is really a demo, folks complaining that their clip was moved to demo when so and so's are not, yada-yada.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

As always, we'll see how it goes, and address any issues that come up. But as many members main aim has seemed to be pimping gear via demos lately, I like the new area.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

New area makes sense for manufacturers, stores and endorsees; let alone a guy that wants to show how gear works. You are either talking chops or songs musically in the Member Soundclips or showing gear of some sort or another in the new section. Seems easy enough to understand.

9. jzucker

Agreed. I'll post my demos there but I see lots of demos still in the member-clips site. If you're going to do this, it has to be 100% compliance, not just folks who are subject to whine-stalkers. ;)

10. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

This new area isn't even 24 hours old jack, you might want to reserve judgement and give us a chance to get it running correctly before we get hammered.

11. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

Jack..........I'll be blunt. We opened this section to prevent the constant stream of complaints by quite a few members that certain members were acting as shills for companies. This new section provided relief from having to deal with that. What you are asking for is microscopic investigation of the intent behind every clip posted on TGP. I think that the spirit of the new section is quite clear and we're not going to engage in making rule after rule as people look for ways to get around things. If the clip is meant to demo gear, it belongs in this section. If it appears elsewhere from now on, and if we deem that it is a demo clip, it will be moved. If there is arguing about it, I would prefer to just ban people who continue to argue. I'm tired of having to be a semi-lawyer while running this website. The purpose of the new section is crystal clear. It also allows easier finding of clips of specific gear that people might be interested in. No good deed goes unpunished, indeed! We are not going to go through hundreds or thousands of threads to find every clip. We have moved some to the new section so that it isn't as empty. We simply expect new clips to be posted in the right area in the future.

12. jzucker

As I stated, I think the new section is cool. Hopefully this keeps the complaints to a minimum.

13. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

This is going to create a lot of videos on youtube of people playing their gear.

14. jzucker

huh?

15. Wilson Effects

Wilson Effects Member

I'm glad this is happening. It's nice to have a place to demo a pedal and show how it works and what it can do. It sort of backs up the site name The Gear Page. Thanks guys!:AOK

16. Faustine Amps

Faustine Amps Member

Thanks guys. This is much appreciated. Sound clips are forthcoming.

Regards,
    Tim Gregoire

17. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Excellent idea to make a new area, fellas. Definitely needed and appreciated.

18. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

great idea. A lot of the demos I send here are by-products from consultancy sessions where I just put a clip up to demostrate whatever we have been doing... I'll fling them in here too.

19. Mike

Mike Member

Good job, I like it.

Mike

20. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Very cool. I will post the clips I posted over at the Splawn forum.