This old Gibsons' gotta be worth more than $95....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kenoflife, Jun 28, 2009.

1. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

You don't want to run the risk selling on ebay and having something go wrong, or someone try and scam you out of your $15,000 guitar.

2. newswede

newswede Member

"No patchouli was involved at any point." Thank goodness for that! Great score - I bet it sounds wonderful.

3. dirk nixon

dirk nixon Member

LOL.

You've had this $20,000 guitar for 25 years!!!

4. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

Definately go with an agent!!! They will get their pound of flesh but out of a ton it's worth it. The one's listed previously know who's who and will work to get top dollar for you and in turn the most money in their pocket. No experiance in top money guitars but with other collectables. Peace. J.J.B.

5. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Yes, I concur as well. You'll lose a little $$$ due to their commission, but as a few others have commented, they'll get the guitar to a proper buyer.

Bummer you have to sell it...

6. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I'll see what they say and go with them - thanks everyone for the good knowing advice.

If I can get what I'd hope then I'll be ready to let it go - as it can help me transform my life by allowing the acquisition of a new acupuncture office. In that case, I'll hang a nice photo of the old Gibson on the wall and remember it very fondly!

7. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

That's a wonderful way of looking at it. Good luck in your venture!

HMTM

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You might also consider posting it here in the Emporium for at least a few days.

9. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Once I did find a very small silver coin, it was from 1195 a Duke from Dordrecht Holland, The Penningcabinet did the research for me and make me a offer 25 years ago for about $2500, a lot of money for me, so I deside, after almost loosing it.., to sell it to them,..I still think allot about my coin, I know it is in the museum and I did make television with it but still...

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Whoa one of the earliest forms of currency! YIKES!

11. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

Congrats on the out-of-this-world score!

Now refinish it!

:hide

Jk. :Spank

:phones

12. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to the final result!

Tony

13. gear box

gear box Member

Any word from Gruhn on it's value?

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Agreed - good luck!

15. kenoflife

Gruhn gave it $14K - pretty close to the other price of $15K I had gotten from my
    guitar tech's appraiser friend in Eugene. Of course Gruhn hasn't examined it personally - my tech friend
    didn't think the bridge issue would be damaging in anyway to the guitar when he looked at it - so maybe its $15 if they saw it - pretty dang close anyway..I don't quite get how they can assess these things by photos and not sound and playability.

Curious what their percentage would be - how they would examine it further and if that would affect things, etc.
    I'll have time to look into it next week.

Here's his report:

The guitar described below is, in our opinion, a Gibson Jumbo model made in the year 1934.

Description: Factory work order number 889. We have been provided the following description: “A tech told me half the bridge plate is missing, and it doesn't affect its playability. There is some paint along the side of the (original neck). He had installed a "K and K Pure Western" pickup in a way he said wasn't damaging. The 3 digit # inside is 889.” If half of the bridge plate is missing, while this may not immediately affect the playability of the guitar, it will damage the underside of the top if the plate is not replaced, so we strongly recommend that work must be done. The guitar shows significant playing wear. It conforms to the typical specifications of the model for the period in which it was made, with round-shouldered dreadnought-size body of uniform depth, spruce top, mahogany neck, back, and sides, sunburst finish on the body and neck, white binding on the top and back edges of the body, Brazilian rosewood bridge and fingerboard, dot position marker inlays, pearl script Gibson peghead logo inlay, tortoiseshell-grain nitrocellulose plastic pickguard, and open-back Grover nickel-plated tuners. The Jumbo was Gibson's earliest model standard dreadnought size guitar and was made from 1934-35. These guitars are of interest to collectors as well as musicians.

Current market value in its present condition: $14,000 (fourteen thousand dollars).

16. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Member

I'll give it a $13,000+ amount. I've sold many old Gibson acoustics. You have a great guitar. A nice old Jumbo..

17. Stadler Guitars

Stadler Guitars Member

You'll miss it, but if you consider selling it a reallocation of investment funds some of the sting may come out.

Your "tech" didn't identify the make and model before working on the guitar, and didn't recomend a new bridge plate and not installing the electronics?

18. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

A jumbo in that era based on bluebook in avg condition. it goes in the 14k-to 16,500K in excellent condition they go $21K-25K! For $95 you scored a real prize!

19. kenoflife

on its way to Gruhns' now - miss it a little, the end of an era.
    But hadn't really played it much the last 4 years - so
    I think its time.

even w/ packing it myself it was
    $265 w/ the insurance, shipping and box - and
    I assume some $ out for fixing it on his end (which
    should increase value) - so a little $ ouch on the way to the end.

I'll post later as it finds its way thru and onto his 'for sale' site...:aok

20. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

I know this F'n hurts but...........
    All for the best and man you did own it!!! I can't say that. Put a pic up in the new office and if it takes off you could always go get a new one. They ain't to shabby either. Peace. J.J.B.