• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

This One Goes Out to Those "Longer in Tooth" Members of the TGP Community: Which Piece of 80s Gear Did You Feel Was the Shiznit?

Guitar wise for me there wasn't much that blew me away, although listening back to some old rehearsal cassettes I'm impressed by how good my Squier strat sounds.
I did love my (ahem..borrowed) Boss RDD-20.

This sampler was a revelation. You could get a whole string section in every song. And we pretty much did.
Brass stabs were everywhere.

I still smile when I hear a DX7
There's a somewhat well known Prog band that the keyboard players rehearses with two X7000's because all of the mellotron sounds they use live are sampled into it. They normally play live with three mellotron players but keeping them going is kind of a pain (and they've added some of the digital mellotrons to reduce maintenance). But the X7000's seems like a clever idea.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
There's a somewhat well known Prog band that the keyboard players rehearses with two X7000's because all of the mellotron sounds they use live are sampled into it. They normally play live with three mellotron players but keeping them going is kind of a pain (and they've added some of the digital mellotrons to reduce maintenance). But the X7000's seems like a clever idea.
Didn‘t Jonny Greenwood sample his mellotron into an Akai?

HerrRentz

Someone Photoshopped a bunch of crap on that JX-3P that it did not originally include.

I just noticed that.

guitz

Remember the ADA 1 preamp? The ads made it seem like the greatest thing ever...and it had so many buttons, so it had to be great. Looking back now, how goofy was having 128 memory slots for 1 set of preamp tubes and bass, middle, treble, and presence and nothing more? Lol

el greco

The Studio 15 was a killer little combo from the 80's. Marshall got it right with this one. If you didn't like moving huge amps around (who doesn't?), you could get a massive sweet singing tube sound from this baby. For recording, but also for small pup/club gigs, this amp was perfect, simple, and dependable.

Flogger59

I worked in a major music store from early 81 to late 87, I got to try everything.

The things that I still like are Mesa Marks and the Steinberger TransTrem.

The TransTrem is the work of genius.

The Sound of the Eighties-

Marshall JCM800

As my teeth got longer, downsized from 100w full stack to my current 50 w/slant cab.

Also, my first gen RAT.

-Bruno

mdubya

I was already searching for classic tones in the 80's.

JCM 800 2204 and Boss DS-1 are the only 80's gear I would be interested in.

I still have Marshall JCM 8001936 2x12 cabinet but it is loaded with Pulsonic Celestion G12M's from 1973. It has the cool faded grill cloth that some of the JCMs had. I had the matching 2205 head for many years (don't miss is one bit).

This is a pretty good little practice amp paired with an ES 335. Plug and play after work. Simple.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Im still using an amp, a ts9 and a rat that I bought in the 80's! I thought they were good then and I still do.

I bought a Tascam cassette track recorder back then that changed my life and made me dig into music and playing quite intensely. Never been with out a multi track recorder since then.

Edit: Tascam T244. LOL! So primitive and lo fi but so cool.
I "recorded my first demo" at 17 on one with a broken #3 channel. So we had to constantly "bounce down"- which obviously made it even more lo-fi and nasty. But damn it was fun.

Sometimes I miss that era of my life where I (and my other bandmates and friend bands) had no money and gear and just had to get by on pure ingenuity, creativity and desire to create.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
For me, though I didn't own them at the time as they were expensive as hell and I was in my early teens in the very late 80's: Roland SDE and Korg SDD rack delays. Specifically the Roland SDE-2500 and SDE-3000 and Korg SDD-1200.

The SDE-2500 is just as good as the herald SDE-3000 (better in some ways I think) Same with the Korg SDD Series- the SDD-3000 is NOT the best one. The SDD-1200 is the far better unit for all of the routing possibilities: 2 SDD rack delays in one enclosure with routing between them. The SDD-3000 only has the Pre going for it and for me its not worth putting the SDD-3000 above the rest in the series. The SDD-1200 would be the obvious superior unit but lost to the popularity contest.

I now have multiple instance of all versions/models of the Roland SDE & Korg SDD series. For awhile there people seemed to be giving them away (except for the SDD-3000). It was easy to grab ones in great condition for cheap (like $100 or less sometimes). Prices seem to have climbed again though, at least for many of the models.

Both of those early digital delays were fantastic. The only racks units I have anymore.

ctreitzell

Gosh I almost forgot my Heartfield EX-2! Still have it. Plays and sounds terrific. The pickups changed about a year into ownership as we were doing a lot of recording then and needed something quiet (the stock Heartfield single coils were prone to pick up flourescent lights for bar signs etc). Still a great guitar.
The stock single active PU in the RR-8 is pretty cool, with single, HB and overdrive settings. I never had any noise issues in the studio...I did often have tuning issues in the studio, which I always put down to the Gotohs. I certainly broke an awful lot of strings mid song during gigs; hence why I bought another, 2 serial numbers apart...to have two identical...Well, they never, EVER sounded identical.

The reason I got an RR-8 in the first place is I won it in a music store raffle in 1991 (so, not really 80s, then:hide)...and I was in a gigging band at the time.

Trending Topics