This S&W seems cool to me.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rhinocaster, Feb 12, 2015.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

and thats odd because I was never a fan of Smith and Wesson, NEVER liked the exposed ejector rod, found the small S&W grips wimpy, wanted a shorter barrel on a gun like this....

I don't know. Now it all comes together in a way to my eye that I find incredibly appealing.

Pre lock in the house!! :D

[​IMG]

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

3. rhinocaster

Yes! :)

4. Jiffy_Jeff

Jiffy_Jeff Playin Tunes and Having Fun! Silver Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with a wheel gun. I love mine.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    Yeah baby! I can dig it. Here is one of my favs >

I think it's a model 19 in nickel and it's fogged up from being in a cold room and then trying to warm up for a picture. :waiting

[​IMG]

6. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Exposed ejector rods are basically a non-issue for me. Never cared one way or another about that.

I took the grips off mine and put Hogue grips on. The Hogues fit my hands better than anything else anyway. Smith & Wesson wheel guns are great guns, imo. Love 'em.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I love me some S&W revolvers. Pretty much all of them.

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I had a model 64 which is just like yours but in 38 special

9. semore butts

semore butts Member

But I don't want it in stainless steel.

Sweet weapon.

10. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I've started liking S&W more and more lately, actually. I was never a huge fan either, but they're starting to win me over :)

12. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

It's those flash-chromed forged hammers and triggers that just do it for me. Always love wood grips, but I'm not a fan of the small ones shown.

S&W used to make an elegant looking gun, but the newer MIM parts just look cheap in comparison.

Top vs. bottom - look at the trigger and hammer on the guns to the right. The MIM trigger and hammer just uglifies a beautiful gun.

[​IMG]

13. rhinocaster

The grips have really had to grow on me over the years....I really do dig them as part of the whole package here....:) nothing matches the hand filling full size grips though!

14. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

It looks a bit Ruger-like. Needs a heftier grip.

15. rhinocaster

Lol..maybe that Ruger look is a reason I dig it. ;)

I disagree that it needs bigger grips. Not only would that throw the visual balance of the gun off (to my eye) but a reason I think I like this so much is because of the "form follows function" elements at play here. This is an ideal carry revolver with everything you'd need and nothing you don't. The larger grips are not practical or desirable on a piece like this.

Also, I have big hands and the grips are much more band filling than they appear from the side.
    :)

16. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Funny you say that, because I dislike the smaller grips for the exact same reason - I think it throws the balance off (both looks and feel).

My wife loves the smaller grips, though, because the larger ones are just too big for her dainty hands.

17. rhinocaster

I can definitely understand a different aesthetic taste with it...no denying though, these grips work for their intended job of concealment better than the big boys! :)

18. JBrasca

JBrasca Member

Can't beat reliability, especially with handguns that could end up saving you or your family's lives. The S&W revolvers and Colt revolvers, especially the older models have survived the test of time for a reason, they work. I've got an old Colt .357 Pre-Python (no model number or name, simply referred to as pre-python or pre-trooper based on year of production) and a Colt New Frontier model SAA with two cylinders one for .45acp and the other in .45lc. I'd love to get my hands on an early model 25 or 27 Smith & Wesson or a Colt Single Action Army 1st or 2nd generation from the '50s or earlier with the ivory grips. Beautiful pieces of history and craftsmanship for the time. Smith & Wesson also made some beautiful Model 36's and Model 40 Centennial Edition revolvers with some gorgeous engraving work.

19. autologic

autologic Member

I prefer my Walther PPQ M2. I just wish it had more aftermarket support.

20. JBrasca

JBrasca Member

My preference on handguns is Glock 36 for EDC, Glock 34 for competition, Colt 1911 Trophy Gold Cup, Kimber Custom II 1911, and for long range fun accuracy the FN 5.7 is hard to beat. I shoot more rifles though a few Remington 700s in .308 and .300 winmag, and a Savage Model 10 HS Precision .338 Lapua Mag. A couple AR-15s, an LWRC IC-SPR and a BCM / Haley Strategic Jack Carbine; Armalite AR-10 National Match, FN SCAR-17s. I've got one AK that's an all American made Centurion 39 Milled Receiver and some historical rifles, of course a Mosin Nagant, a rifle passed down from my grandfather Marlin 39A (i think) Golden Mountie lever action .22, Winchester 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine, and a WWII 1943 Springfield M1D Sniper.