1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

This song has 73million views on YouTube -- uhmmm...ok

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by EpicEsquire, Feb 6, 2019.

Rate it

1. it's got a good beat and you can dance to it

40 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. WTF‽

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. willyboy

willyboy Member

Agreed the poll choices were kind of pointless. I liked the Billie Elish tune though, thought it was cool. It's not likely something I'd give many more listens to but I much prefer that to everything I've thus heard from Ariana Grande or Dua Lipa.

david57strat likes this.
  2. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

That’s probably how many views my 2 year old has of Baby Shark since Wednesday!:facepalm

3. Purple_Plexi

Purple_Plexi Member

Reminded me of Lana Del Rey. It's pop culture. What's the big deal? It's not my thing, but I definitely wouldn't call what I heard bad.

This, for example, has 122 million views :D

4. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

idk, i like it.
    73 mln tho
    you never know, i guess. kids drive this business.

5. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

I agree. And when it comes to social media I'm a luddite too; I mean to say I like writing as a means of communication. :)

But she's also a talented young lass, unlike the Kardashians, who seem to have no other observable talents apart from genius-level media manipulation; which is a rare skill-set in its own right. Given she was 14 when she made that vid I'd say she was a lot closer to Mozart's level of childhood prodigy than I ever was. (And obviously it's not all of her own work; but I wonder how many of Wolfie's early bits were actually written by Leo?)

I'd rather listen to her stuff than Yngwie's version of The Blues (TM), but right at the moment I'm going through a phase of listening to French late romantic/early modern music: Debussy, Faure, and Ravel etc, so that may explain it. (If you want to know where reverb-laden minor 9ths really took hold on musical culture you can trace it back much further; but I'm having fun listening and imagining the impact of Debussy in the context of the revolution in art that occurred with the Impressionist movement. This is interesting because it's not often that similar movements in music and art coincide at a time and place; for example Pointillism in painting and Serialism and Minimalism in music are many decades apart.)

I can remember in the '70's when Ritchie Blackmore came out with a comment about how he really liked ABBA and thought Bjorn and Benny were great composers. If it had been any normal person making that comment at that time they'd have been laughed out of the room, but this was Blackmore; the mad, sullen genius who you didn't cross. (Lemmy had some pretty outrageous stories about what happened to folk who rubbed Ritchie up the wrong way, some may be up on youtube.)

Yes, she isn't J S Bach. Or Mozart. Or Poor Deaf Ludwig. Or even Bird or 'Trane or Jimi or Jeff. But none of us are unless we have been hiding our talents under a bushel.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    bizzwriter likes this.
  6. xrcdan

xrcdan Member

i voted wtf,why because the song is fine but i can't believe 73,000,000 million times its been heard and viewed.73 million i still cant' comprehend that!

7. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I like it. Her voice is cool.

8. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

But I like this, too:

...and Bjork, Lana Del Ray, Grimes, and a ton of others that are sort of similar.

vanklomk and slybird like this.
  9. vanklomk

vanklomk Supporting Member

Yep, I liked it. And I agree with the above ^

MoarGear likes this.
  10. poison7512

poison7512 Member

Im not sure anything could be more generic. Yet another young female singing like she has an accent from the 1920's because someone told her she sounds "unique". Simply watching ANY reality talent show will immediately prove otherwise. Im not surprised at the views though. McDonalds has lots of customers, I still wont eat there.

11. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Ha! Then she touched her face. Wash your hands!!!

I liked it.

12. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

There's criticism, then there's your juvenile comments which are just another form of bashing.

Here's a young lady with a form of disorder that can be very embarrassing and socially limiting. She is putting herself out there to create something. You've managed to reduce your response to a manifestation of rudimentary ignorance. The fact that you couch that as criticism and are "standing behind" your statements only compounds it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    david57strat likes this.
  13. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I like the Unicorn song!

14. Dunconia

Dunconia Member

Lol. I didn’t make it that far.

15. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I knew Unicorns could rock and fly!

16. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

This thread needs some Bhad Bhabie. 140 million views.

17. EpicEsquire

EpicEsquire Member

Can you show me the "juvenile comments" I've made in this thread about the song/video? I'll wait

18. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

Bhad Bhabie now has 140 million and one views lol!

Ampedusa likes this.
  19. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Decent pop song.

20. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

SHe's a star. Has 5 records in the top 10 streaming, with no album out.

Headlining 5k+ cap venue tour annonounced today and already forecasted to sell out.

There is nothing to "get" for the over the hill Foghat and Kansas set.

slybird and david57strat like this.