• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

This tele pickup needs to be made...

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Somebody out there needs to make a noiseless/humbucking tele bridge pickup that sounds like a PAF.

And don't anybody dare say the SD Little '59, which is horribly misnamed...

omfg51

Just put an actual PAF/PAF style pickup in your tele. Not breaking new ground, really.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Just put an actual PAF/PAF style pickup in your tele. Not breaking new ground, really.

Yes, but that's not the point.

I'd really rather not route out my guitar, and have to get a new bridge and pickguard. A drop-in replacement would indeed be breaking new ground...

omfg51

Yes, but that's not the point.

I'd really rather not route out my guitar, and have to get a new bridge and pickguard. A drop-in replacement would indeed be breaking new ground...
A huge part of a pickup's tone is the actual size of the pickup and the way the coils are wrapped, it's why you have so many flavors of single coils, a jazzmaster pickup sounds super fat because it is physically fat.

The coils of a humbucker are no different, when created for that volume, what you get is the SD lil' 59. You just simply can't compare apples to oranges.

Sensates

Dimarzio Area Hot T is supposed to be near that.

Never tried it, but I liked my Area T 615.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
The coils of a humbucker are no different, when created for that volume, what you get is the SD lil' 59. You just simply can't compare apples to oranges.
I do understand that, but IMO there's no reason why at this point nobody's made this. Of course it won't be exactly like a PAF, but it's entirely possible to make a pup like the Little '59 (which is ceramic, btw) with less winding, Alnico II's and a sweeter, more PAF-like tone.

They make noiseless tele bridge pups that sound vintage, like P-90's, made for rock with outputs from hot to molten, Bardens etc...just about every tonality except a PAF-style. And yet, what 'bucker tonality would compliment a tele neck pup better than a juicy, warm but twangy PAF sound for an all-around "fat tele"?

Somebody, please make this pickup!

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Dimarzio Area Hot T is supposed to be near that..
I have one, and like it. But it's really a different tone (in my experience, anyway)...more steely and peaky, not warm and bouncy. Warm, but not much real low-end, more in the low-mids. I like it a lot actually, but it's not PAFish to me...

Dimarzio's the perfect candidate for this, and they should make an Area Hot T Neck, too. Duncan Custom Shop has a Little PG, but I suspect that won't be very PAF-ish, either...more bright and brash I'd assume. It is an Alnico magnet, though...

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a market waiting for you to dominate it. Get to it. You make it sound easy.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I never said it would be easy, just doable. There's a lot of pup makers out there, there's a lot of different styles of pups available already, and given that the PAF is such a classic sound, I just wish someone made this.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's a valid point... :dunno

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Call me a cynic, but I just don't see this as being all that possible. As mentioned above, the size of a PAF and the distance between the two coils and their poles has a lot to do with the sound. It seems to me that getting a guitar body from Warmoth routed for a PAF will get you exactly what you want.

Also, I don't see that much of a market. Most people who want that sound don't play standard Teles, if they play Teles at all.

Edited to add that SD might use ceramic magnets in the Lil 59 because they probably need to be quite small. The alnico magnets in a PAF are as wide as an entire Tele pickup, each.

Last edited:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I've not used one, but the Zexcoil T-Bucker is advertised as being PAF voiced https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1240450
Thanks for that, maybe I'll give one a try. Familiar with the brand, but don't feel like I've read much user experiences with them. I like their slanted pole pieces, pretty cool looking..

The Duncan Custom Shop lets you create your own pup, a pricey but tempting option also.

1radicalron

I am a big fan of the SD59. = But I will admit it only sounds good with a 500k Pot. Something most Tele's don't have.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Also, I don't see that much of a market. Most people who want that sound don't play standard Teles, if they play Teles at all.

Edited to add that SD might use ceramic magnets in the Lil 59 because they probably need to be quite small. The alnico magnets in a PAF are as wide as an entire Tele pickup, each.
I would just point to the Hot Rails, Super Distortion T, Norton T, and even the Little 59T as being pups that are far outside of the "standard tele" player's sound. I'm sure there are others, that's off the top of my head. To me, the PAF tone is more in-line with a vintage "fat tele" sound than a super hot metal pup.

To the second point, that may be true, although as I mentioned the Custom Shop has a Pearly Gates version that uses an Alnico V, and Alnico is an option for the build-your-own version.

Again, I'm not saying it has to literally be a vintage PAF shrunk into a tele bridge size...just something based on that tonality. Duncan calls theirs a Little 59, and I really wish that it was. :-/

2HBStrat

Sounds like a market waiting for you to dominate it. Get to it. You make it sound easy.
He's got a point.
Yes, he has a point, but with all of the many many pickups makers out there maybe the reason nobody has made a PAF sounding Tele bridge pickup is (1) there's not a lot of people clamoring for it, or (2) the pickups that attempt to do that, Li'l 59 for example, are as close as they can get, or (3) it just can't be done due to the physical limitations, not to mention the sound from the big metal Tele bridge when added to that of the pickup.

......Also, I don't see that much of a market. Most people who want that sound don't play standard Teles, if they play Teles at all......
Right. For the most part a Tele player wants that bright ear piercing Tele bridge pickup sound. For those who like the feel of a Tele body but want a bridge humbucker, then those are available, too. The Fender Telecaster Professional:

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I'm sure "the market" is the main reason...bottom-line is always the bottom-line. But it's just surprising to me that there's more of a market for hot metal tele pickups than a classic vintage-style tonality.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know. It just seems like being frustrated with fruit farmers because they haven't grown a banana that tastes like an apple when you can just eat an apple.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom