• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

This tele pickup needs to be made...

2HBStrat

I'm sure "the market" is the main reason...bottom-line is always the bottom-line. But it's just surprising to me that there's more of a market for hot metal tele pickups than a classic vintage-style tonality.
That's very true. Have you tried the DiMarzio Chopper T? I have the Strat version and I like it quite a bit.

straycat113

I think right now your best bet would be to order a custom pup from Seymore Duncan as they will know and understand the tone you are looking for. I have a set of D'imarzio Fast Track 1-s in my main Tele since 91 the year they came out and I get all the classic rock tone I could ask for while keeping that warmth. They also make a Fast Track-2 but it is very high output and more for shred, but I understand where you are coming from. I also think there would be a bigger demand then most are stating.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know. It just seems like being frustrated with fruit farmers because they haven't grown a banana that tastes like an apple when you can just eat an apple.
But there's already a rainbow of fruit flavors out there - tele pickups made to sound like strat pups, metal humbuckers, P90's etc.. So I don't think it's unreasonable to ask why this particular color isn't represented?

2HBStrat: I also had a Chopper in a strat many years ago, and liked it. Good suggestion, thanks.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Somebody out there needs to make a noiseless/humbucking tele bridge pickup that sounds like a PAF.

And don't anybody dare say the SD Little '59, which is horribly misnamed...
I really hate to tell you but it's been done. A while ago. EMG makes pickups that are built to the specs you require and actually sound damn good. I don't normally care for EMG pickups either. My friend put a set of them in his MIJ Tele Deluxe to make it sound more like his LP, it worked and it was the only guitar he played live for years.

jamester

Gold Supporting Member
Bumping this to say that I've ordered a Zexcoil T-Bucker! Will do a write-up on it down the road since there's not a lot of user experience info out there. I think they look cool, and like that they're made close-by in Delaware. If it delivers a PAF-like tonal experience, I'll be very happy!

I really hate to tell you but it's been done. A while ago. EMG makes pickups that are built to the specs you require and actually sound damn good. I don't normally care for EMG pickups either. My friend put a set of them in his MIJ Tele Deluxe to make it sound more like his LP, it worked and it was the only guitar he played live for years.
I've always heard good things about the EMG T set, although I was under the impression they were more traditionally-voiced. Interesting, but the battery thing kills it for me, personally... :-/

thrashmetl

Silver Supporting Member
Bumping this to say that I've ordered a Zexcoil T-Bucker! Will do a write-up on it down the road since there's not a lot of user experience info out there. I think they look cool, and like that they're made close-by in Delaware. If it delivers a PAF-like tonal experience, I'll be very happy!

I've always heard good things about the EMG T set, although I was under the impression they were more traditionally-voiced. Interesting, but the battery thing kills it for me, personally... :-/
When I saw this thread that was the first pickup that came to mind. I've been interested in hearing opinions on these since they were released as well. I'm not really in the market for a pickup like this, but out seems interesting. I know splits always sound awful, but interested in hearing what the split sounds like too. I think I read somewhere on the TDPRI forum too that someone bought one of these and wired it up in some special way and was getting some decent P-90 sounds from it too.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member

That T-bucket looks cool:)

I've loved the emg Tele pickuos for over 20 years. The best pickup set they make. The battery's last forever and there's plenty of room to put a 9v easily in a Tele switch cavity. It's a non issue. Seriously.

Just for giggles, here's my single EMG T bridge pickup yamaha tele style live if you care to check it out. http://youtu.be/oMl3QFARjpI

Last edited:

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
The Area Hot T does exactly that.
the area hot T is a great pickup for noiseless twang with some balls, but it's not remotely like a PAF.

+1 on the zexcoil stuff, the protos i tested a while back were shockingly good at sounding like a full-size 'bucker, as opposed to the "hotter but still bright and narrow" sound of rail pickups squeezed down into a single coil slot.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom