This thread has probably been done to death, but....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p.snail, Apr 13, 2016.

1. p.snail

p.snail Member

What 2 channel amplifier would have a believable Blackface clean that takes pedals well, and a touch sensitive drive channel that can do the Marshall Plexi thing that responds well to your volume control?

I think I want something where on the clean side, if I were to run a D-style overdrive pedal, it would have enough headroom to accommodate that, but then on the drive side it get's very British.

Is there something out there production wise that does this?
    What about getting a vintage Bandmaster head and having it modified? Make the normal channel more Marshally, and set the Vibrato more traditional blackface? Might be cool to be able to jumper two channels like that.

What do you think? What works well for you?

2. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

my rivera knucklehead 55 does this really well. extra footswitching options too (boost for either channel). they can usually be found for under $900.

3. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Redplate Magica

MHG likes this.
  4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The Steve Stevens Friedman amp has a Blackface side and a hot rodded Plexi side; sounds killer from the clips.

RayBarbeeMusic, Jim S and MmcGrouty like this.
  5. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Bogner XTC 20th Anniversary and throw all of your pedals away. Seriously.

buddaman71 and dwoverdrive like this.
  6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Steve Stephens signature amp. Friedman. Blackface and Marshall channels.

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Both Fender and Marshall purists will say you cannot have the two sounds within one circuit and speaker.
    Those who claim to be able to produce both don't know their tone.
    IMO, your best bet is to go Marshall...the best you can do and then use the guitars controls to eek out that punchy clean sound. Its there, you have to coax it out. Don't want to be a downer too much but its really tough to get a Marshall sound out of any Fender amp with about any drive pedal.

neteraser likes this.
  8. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

In your situation without a doubt I would buy a Suhr PT100SE

Dave_C likes this.
  9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Probably hundreds of amps, of all pricepoints will do this. Some better than others, but that i subjective and totally depends on your ears.
    Some people, as long as it distorts, then it is Marshally.
    Some of the amps I've owned /played have done the Fender/Marshall thing really good but fell short next to a classic Marshall.....both clean and dirty.

jpage likes this.
  10. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

This amp is AMAZING in its ability to nail both camps.

11. p.snail

p.snail Member

Thanks for all the replies. Lot of love for the Friedman SS. Will need to check that out.

I have always been a Bogner fan. The Ecstacy blue channel is almost spot on the gain tone I'm after. Do any of Bogner's other amps do the Blue channel thing? I always thought the Shiva would be closer to the Ecstacy Red channel.

12. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Friedman SS nails the OP request.

Soldano Lucky 13 is close but I don't think the high gain channel is as touch sensitive as the Friedman SS.

13. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

14. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

The RP Magica is what ended my search for BF & Plexi Tones in a single box.

Not just believable, but GREAT BF Tone.

This is a keeper!

15. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

I play a 101b and use no drive pedals. The 20th cleans are even better. Search would be over

rdodson and stratpaulguy86 like this.
  16. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I recently purchased one of the new Fender '68 Vibrolux Reverb reissue amps and am very happy with it. While it doesn't have channel switching, it does have dual channels with the "Vintage" channel being voiced blackface Fender and a "Custom" channel that's voiced Fender tweed Bassman/Marshall...which might make for a good, dual voiced, pedal platform. I like my Tele in the Vintage channel and my Strat in the Custom channel...and jumping the channels makes for some interesting blends of the two.

17. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

I am also considering a 68' Custom Vibrolux. And regarding the channel splitting it's easily done with an A/B/Y box like the Switchbone or BigShot for instance.
    However I am wondering if the Vibrolux has enough headroom to accomodate a full band (2 guitarists, bassist and a loud drummer) or if I should go with the 68' Custom Twin?
    Any of you tried the Custom Twin?

18. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Bad Cat Hot Cat
    Bogner Shiva

19. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While I haven't gigged my '68 Vibrolux Reverb reissue, it does sound pretty loud in my den...but it's not very heavy and you could mic it and/or put more efficient speakers in it. I bought mine mainly as a "grab & go" den/jam amp as I'm not planning on joining a gigging band. The Twin would definitely have more clean headroom available so, if you're young enough to lug it around, it would probably have a better chance with it working as a gigging amp if clean headroom is a concern. However, I'd probably opt for a '59 Bassman RI or Super Reverb RI over a Twin though for a gigging amp as 4x10 sounds better to me than 2x12...but that's subjective.

Leif Johan likes this.
  20. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I have one, and totally agree, it is EXACTLY what you want. The Fargen DBC also gets honorable mention, have one of those to, it does the Fender clean and M style gain, but IMO the gain channel, while fine, isn't capable of all the things the Friedman is.