This tone--a 335 through a ???

straightblues

It sounds a little bit more chimey than a Fender Twin to my ears. More of a Voxish tone. But that might be the guy on the Rick we are hearing more of in the mix. I also don't think they are playing in that video. Who knows what they were playing in the studio. I don't hear that Harmony in the mix at all.

strawberries

335 and perhaps a twin with some pedals. He used a cornish thing for a while. I'm not sure what he uses now besides his les paul and a line 6 amp.

kevmin

It certainly has the chimey overtones and clear, prominent midrange of an AC-30. But it definitely has had that 80's sound sauce added on in the mix.

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds great.
Just gob a bunch of verb on just about any bridge pickup, should get you close imo.

bobmc

Silver Supporting Member
It doesn't sound like a 335 to me...
I was just going to post that while he may have used (and been known for) an ES335, I never automatically assume the guitar in a theatrical video is what is on a recording.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, no telling what guitar was used in the studio. At first, I was thinking Tele. I've been trying to capture that sound with my Strat Plus and a Line 6 HD500 using a Vox model and various verbs, but can't quite nail it.

Trending Topics