1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

This week's tune and Backing Track with a strange solo

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Sep 6, 2005.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

I had a go at a few of my Gino Vanelli records and that gave me the idea for this tune. The instrumentation is very much Gino V but when I got to the melody and solo I got absolutely nowhere. For some reason I started thinking of Steve Ferris and Adrian Belew and their way of go from notes to noise to squealing hamonics back to noise and afew more notes. I remeber seing Steve Ferris in 1986 and he just blew me away. Almost 20 years later I'm trying to incorporate that into my playing.

Here's the tune:
    Vanilla Rip

Here's the BT:
    Vanilla Rip Backing Track

This is my Yamaha Pacifica 604W through my Boss GS-10 direct to computer. All synths are Native Instruments FM7. Drums Battery 2.

This is different to what I usually do so please be gentle with the acid in your comments? :D

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Why have you been hiding that side of your playing???
    :D
    Loved the funky feel and biting tones.
    Chewed me a smile;)
    Most cool playing Mats.
    And that track is quite inspiring too.
    Niels

3. Marcello

Marcello Member

4. haml

haml Member

Great tracks!

Brad

5. journo

journo Member

Hi Niels,

The eason I've been "hiding" a lot of my playing is lack of self confidence. There used to be so many really good guitarplayers around so I just figured I would keep to myself and my little studio. Just doing commercials and the odd gig here and there. After having published a few tune here on the TGP I realized that even if there are a whole load of great guitar players maybe I still have something to contribute.

So now my self confidence grows with every positive comment I get. I'm not kidding either. The TGP has been very good for my self esteem. And also for my compositional skills as I get a lot of good feedback.

Cheers,

Mats N

6. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Brad - Thanks for listening. Every comment like that makes my day a better day.

Marcello - I didn't have those dudes in mind but when I see them I realize I probably have had my dose of Jan Hammer as well because I used to watch that show a lot. I really laughed when I saw the pic. Thanks!

Cheers,

Mats N

7. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Journo loved it !!

It Saddens me to read that you were hiding your self away due to lack of self confidence as your contributing some killer stuff. Many of us are blowing over BT's but rarely submiting our own written tunes and especially at the rate you seem to be posting them.

You've had some of the best players here on TGP raving about your playing and tunes and then spending considerable time blowing over them themselves and submitting them for comment. On one level it's great to see that you're not arrogant as I despise that in players, but don't be blind to the praise your recieving either as that can be detrimental to you and stifle your creativity.

I don't mean to lecture, but believe me from someone who has spent many years tormented with self doubt and very low self esteem I hate to see another player who is obviously so talented allowing other views of them pottentially destroy talent. We all have strengths and weakeness's. Some guys are great jazz players but not so hot on rock or country etc. Some are great rock players but cant play through changes. Some have great playing but terrible tone. Some are great lead player but not great compers some are great improvisors but can't write a decent tune and so on and so on........ Thank god for that too otherwise the guitar world would be dominated with just a handful of elite players.
    :)

8. journo

journo Member

Hi Woody,

Food for thought indeed. Thanks for your concern.

Just FYI, In Sweden there is something called "jantelagen". Translated straight off it is "the law of you are not". It's not a law in a legal sense but it's very deeply ingrained in the swedish psyche. What it actually means is the "don't think you're special because you're not". Instead of encouraging everyone to be as much as he/she can be we are encouraged to be a part of a group and not differ from the norm. This way of thinking was really prominent when I grew up. Nowdays it's a bit different and I'm very careful to ecourage my sons to be whatever they want to be.

Enough rambling. Back to music.

Glad you liked the tune. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I really enjoy the process of writing. Getting feedback is great bonus pleasure.

Cheers,

Mats N

9. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

thats killer.....yess, i love it! Great groove, great playing......i absolutly love your backings! There is nothing better than yours....

Triple WOW Award! :dude :dude :dude

greetz
    Paco

10. CarlosEduardo

CarlosEduardo Member

man!! you drive us breathless with such a high class backing tracks....

:dude :dude :dude you make me encouraged to work in my tracks for post...at least one monthly lol thank you a lot!

Carlos

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music

11. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Mats,

You never cease to amaze me. :AOK

12. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Aw you got that crap too??
    I thought that it was only us stupid Danes that had that silly mentality?
    Anyways we tend to think that you Swede are great at music, you always churns out some cool stuff from time to time.
    But I guess both you and I, like music that not many else is into?!
    Keep it up, you make beautyful stuff.
    Niels

13. journo

journo Member

Hi absolutely everybody,

You guys are just too kind. Thanks for your feedback!
    This is without doubt my favourite hang-out.

Cheers,

Mats N

14. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Mats, keep on jammin'!!! You rock, man! No doubt you are one of the better players here. Keep that great stuff comin'!

Ditto what was said about your BT's. They're some of the best.
    Loren

:AOK

15. journo

journo Member

Hi Loren,

Thanks for the encouragement.

My next BT will be in a style I have never ventured into so it may be a catastrophy. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

16. mexicaster

mexicaster Guest

first class backing track, audio is pro and music so great. :dude

17. journo

journo Member

Hi Mexicaster,

Thanks for listening. I see you're a new member so welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Mats N

18. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

19. Dave35

Dave35 Member

Thats some very good stuff. I always enjoy listening to your tracks and you have nothing to worry about in the self-esteem department.

i post stuff all the time but not much gets said.....but then im just a self taught player with no real background or musical knowledge. I just do it because i enjoy it and i figure one of these days ill make a backing someone will play over :)

I try to play over your stuff but, to be honest, i simply lack the skill to do it. But i do enjoy listening to you and the others.

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Dang that was great. You did one thing I for one really appreciate you made the song better with your solo. You played the song in the solo never once did the solo loose track of where and what the song was about. Terrific professional sound too.