This whole "CONUS US only shipping" is ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by murraythek, Sep 4, 2015.

1. MIM#1

MIM#1 Member

Not complaining about Americans at all, I am one!
    Just saying, if you guys think the receiving foreign customs office is going to contact the US IRS cause a pedal box doesnt look like the correct value...your paranoid.
    Now the 'moral' aspect is your judgement call. Morally, I tend to side with the one getting ripped-off.

2. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

What, you can't get Dilma in the USA?!?
    [​IMG]

3. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Exactly! Via PayPal I can spit out a domestic USPS shipping label and slap it on in about 30 seconds with zero thought. Sometimes I use FedEx Ground, and that too is a breeze. Unless it's a big dollar item that's tough to move, I'd rather not even waste five minutes of my life on international paperwork - electronic, or otherwise.

When I have sold overseas (or north of the border) I've also found that the potential for damage multiplies significantly. I've had a much higher percentage of foreign buyers report mangled shipping cartons, etc., compared to when things stay in the U.S. Even if the contents arrive in fine shape, the added stress of having to "pack for perfection" makes the hassle factor just not worth it for me. Nothing personal - I love visiting Canada and Europe!

The_Whale and cajone5 like this.
  4. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

No it isn't the same. When you buy a used product in Canada (or other country with sales tax), sales tax was already paid (or should have been paid) to the applicable Canadian taxation authorities when the product was initially sold retail (or imported). When you import a good - new or used - Canadian sales tax (likely) was never paid, so now the taxation authorities want their cash.

5. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

It doesn't matter if it is used if it is the first time they are collecting the tax for the imported item, though there may be some exceptions... Whether it is new or used product being imported into the country for the first time, taxes can be collected. Here's a scenario where there might be an exception (talk to a tax or customs attorney to be sure): Let's say an American buys a Kingsley pedal from Canada. Now a Canadian buys that same pedal from that American used... There might not be any taxes due on that item if the American seller uses the proper tariff code and lists the country of origin/manufacture properly (in this case, Canada).

Edit: Oops I see rumbletone beat me to it.

6. Nevets

Nevets Member

I regularly drive down to the US for shopping trips. If you're down less than 24 hours you get no exemption and have to pay duty and tax on all your purchases. Every time I'm asked how much I'm bringing back and I've only been pulled in to pay duties two or three times. It seems to me, from my experience, up to $400 per person in the car and you're good. Once you go over $400 they'll pull you in to pay the tax. I've ordered thousands from China and the US in the last couple of years, paid duty twice. Both times from the states, once on a pedal, once on a guitar. So it's really not all that bad. Like I said upthread, honesty is the best policy and I've never gotten burned by being honest with customs.

7. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

Screw them. They never used to charge tax on used stuff. Or eBay. As far as it goes, when you buy a used pedal from a store, 13% goes on again. They are way too greedy, and squander the cash collected like drunken sailors. I never feel guilty not paying taxes... $200,000,000 on advertisements to tell us what a great job they are doing. Using military jets at $1,000,000 a trip to go to the cottage... I am not giving up my pennies for any govt waste boondoggle.

MIM#1 likes this.
  8. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Same in Australia with the 10% GST on used items
    If a guitar gets bought & sold ten times the gov gets the full value of the guitar in tax
    and they want to raise it to 15%...