Thorn #71 - Warning - Pretty Guitar Inside

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by CarlWerkmeister, May 14, 2006.

1. CarlWerkmeister

CarlWerkmeister Silver Supporting Member

This is not the guitar for those who afraid to play guitars because they are too pretty. I don't however fall into that category as I have always played all of my guitars, and had this built to sound as good as it looks!
    Preliminary reports from Ron indicate that it was an overwhelming success!:BEER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The full story and details of the construction are here:
    http://p092.ezboard.com/fthornnewsanddiscussionpagefrm10.showMessage?topicID=234.topic

I can't wait to get this guitar next week and introduce it to the Fuchsen and the Nedsel!!!
    Thanks to Ron and Pops for exceeding my expectations at every point in the build process!!

2. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Man that's a sweet thorn, the inlay itself is nuts! :)

Congrats!

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Carl, that one is one of the examples of the highest level of art and instrument. BOOM!

Congrats on it. It's breathtaking.

4. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

It's a good thing you weren't paying Ron by the hour! :eek:

5. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

Nice! Orange is my favorite color. Thorns must be light in general -- 8.1 pounds is at the top end? I'm really tempted to order one now.

6. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

I'm curious -- Why the choice of new growth BR for the board but old growth BR for the neck? Also, could you have had the entire neck and board be one piece, or would there have been stability issues? And why isn't the headstock orange as well -- orange rules!

7. CarlWerkmeister

Darby...it was more that I wanted a very dark BRW neck, which Ron found for me after about a year, and then I fell in love with the fretboard when I was looking for a piece of rosewood to compliment the inlays. I had been looking at figured cocobolo, but when I found this piece on the bottom of a pile of fretboards in a cabinet in Ron's shop I knew immediately that it was exactly what this guitar needed. Because of the truss rod Ron doesn't do one piece neck/fretboards but he did do an IRW neck/fretboard where he had a piece large enough to cut the fretboard off, install the truss rod and then glue the fretboard back on. It looked for all the world like a one piece neck! Ron always seems up for a challenge..talk to him about what you are looking for and see what he can do!

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Carl,

Saw your baby at the Amp Show, it was the darling of the group. It looks even crazier in person than the pics show. Ron was issuing bibs to everyone standing around gawking!

9. CarlWerkmeister

Soooo....did anyone actually PLAY it...??!! :eek:

What did the WCRs sound like???

10. b3l5tele

b3l5tele Supporting Member

I strummed it but didn't play it as I was too nervous about putting a scratch on it. I think you will be happy with it.

11. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

12. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

I was kinda afraid to play it (actually I didn't play any - too afraid of starting GAS pains - one Thorn is enough (so I keep trying to tell myself). :p)

But MAN the inlay work on that guitar is amazing and the finish color is just gorgeous. You are just going to DIE when you open that case for the first time. Enjoy it!

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah, what an impressive guitar. In person, it looks more like a burnt orange, I think. Guess it depends on the light, of course. Stunning guitar!

14. fyler

fyler Member

the workmanship is mind boggling. asthetically, it's not my thing, but it looks like you got what you wanted...so :AOK

15. CarlWerkmeister

fyler...I hope so, because what I wanted was a guitar that plays and sounds even better than it looks! Guess we'll see when it gets here..
    Ron's initial report was everything I wanted to hear, but I had hoped some of the locals would have wrung it out a little bit! Looks like I'll have to do that myself after it gets here as everyone seemed to be intimidated by it's looks. :eek:

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That was it!! No way was I risking dinging that baby....

17. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

18. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Stunning guitar, congrats and enjoy!

19. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

Gorgeous top and finish!
    You just gotta love it
    ArnieZ

20. mgrier1

mgrier1 Member

Love that guitar! Gotta love a Thorn for its looks, of course... But its the playability that puts it into a category of its own! :JAM