Thorn #73: Koa and BRW finished!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by eric102673, Feb 29, 2008.

1. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I know a lot of my buddies over here at TGP don't make it over to the TNDP so I'm wanted to post this over here too so they could share in my excitement.

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Here's the bulk of Ron's comments:

"Thorn Artisan Master #073
    Body: 1-pc. Golden Koa
    Neck & Fretboard: Old-growth Brazilian Rosewood
    Pickups: Koa covered Lollar P-90s
    Bridge: Thorn 1-pc. tremolo
    Nut: Koa with brass "string inserts"....cool.
    Purfling and 12th Firesun: 14K Gold
    Color: Natural

I'll cut right to the chase, this guitar is breathtakingly beautiful to look at. The chatoyance of the body rolls and flutters like a kite in the wind. As you slowly shift it the curl flashes on and off catching your eye in random places across the carve. The neck is pitch black, smooth as silk and the extra rolled frets and fretboard edge make it feel like a well used 50's Strat. Bling time...14K purfling, side dots, 12th fret, even the trem-claw is gold plated. The frets are the same golden-colored alloy as Dane' and Mike's, a nice detail.

Tone. I think I've used the "grand piano" reference more than once in describing a tone report. This fits it to a tee. The lows are very present, not boomy, but rather tight and solid. The rosewood neck provides the midrange spike and the Lollar's vintage clarity adds the perfect amount of definition and articulation on the high-end. Strumming a 6-string chord is like listening to a string-quartet. It's very full, rich, clear, and BIG."

For those who are curious, on the push pull with the tone knob down you get LP Special switching. Bridge, Both (humcancelling), Neck.
    With the knob pulled up you get Bridge/Middle, All Three, Neck/Middle for those Stratty in-betweens. Ron says the all three position sounds absolutely huge.

So, just my .02ยข here...

Ron is the King! A lot of things went into this guitar, and much of it was thought. Mine, his.
    Most of you have met me at some point and a lot of you know I'm not a trophy guitar kinda guy. Well most of the time. Once this hunk of koa was destined to be mine (a heart warming story in and of itself), I knew whatever I did needed to live up to it. I mean how rare is a piece of wood like this? How many come around in a lifetime? The neck, Ron set aside for me at my request a very LONG time ago and after some talks about mating the two, the whole thing clicked.
    A few of you are aware of my love afair with the IRW McSoapy Std PRS made and that I had two of them at one point (Shreve has one of them now, or did) and I really dug the huge gigantic sounds of the Rosewood/P90/Slab mahogany formula. I wasn't a fan of the Duncan PUs though and I sold them off before the aftermarket P-90 explosion happened. Well, this guitar is that and then some. For all the glamor and over the top nature of having the gold purfling, this is a very simple guitar at it's core. 2 big hunks of the best of the best in timber, with the best of the best in purfling. Built by one of the coolest guys I've ever met in my life who just happens to build my favorite sounding guitars.

I honestly won't know exactly how she sounds until I've got her plugged into my rig here at home, but from our discussions back and forth it sounds like it ended up landing right on the sweet spot. That's where the real Thorn magic happens. Ron knocks you out with the looks and then kicks you in the teeth with tones. I'm expecting nothing less than really good things.

So there you have it. A lot of thinking, a lot of care and love pured into her. I'm sure she'll give it all back and then some.

Oh, and for those of you that are keeping score, along with the 1 of a kind nut with the brass inserts, there's a BRW collar around the electrosocket jack. You can sorta see it in the last series of images. This is right up my alley. As far as I'd ever want to go with flash, but such a fine fine example of what a great builder can do.

Wahoo!

-e.

p.s. We decided NO backplate on the trem, so you could really get a look at the fact that this body is one slab, through and through.

For the pretty guitar police, who cares? I dig it much and plan on playing the bejeezus out of it.

Oh yeah, and this thread is useless without...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eric102673

eric102673 Member

3. tequilaboy85

tequilaboy85 Member

What can you say if not simply WOW!!!!
    Congrats!

4. johnnybrulez

johnnybrulez Member

That is some dark Brazilian Rosewood... wow. :) Ron can make a great looking guitar.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Damn, I just got a boner. Wow.

That is perhaps the finest or one of the very few finest Thorn's I've EVER seen a pic of. That's utterly stunning in every way.

Game over, you win.

6. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

That is a beautiful piece of Koa! The rest of the guitar ain't too bad either;). Ron does some killer work.

7. clarkram

clarkram Member

ok, I'll give an editorial comment..........wow, WOW, WOW.

congrats and enjoy.

8. c-dub

c-dub Member

Holy carp. Props to Ron and congrats to you.

9. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

DAMN! Ron just never dissapoints!

Congratulations man, that is a stunning guitar.

10. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Ok how many of you skipped the text and rolled right down to the photos.

Worth a thousand words. Beautiful.

11. dwes

dwes Member

It's ok...

:rotflmao

AWESOME!!!!
    Congratualtions. I'm captivated...
    Ron's work is stunning and tasteful simultaneously.
    Dave

12. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

My goodness, that's gorgeous!! Congrats!!:BEER

Please give us a tone report when you get to it!

13. lazymonday

lazymonday Member

Unbelievable guitar. Truly unbelievable, wow.

Wow...

Again, holy smokes...

Wow...

14. mikef1331

mikef1331 Member

I said this over at the Thorn board, but I'll say it again, that is one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen.

Congrats!:BEER

15. free_jazz

free_jazz Member

Aw man... I had a guitar daydream while looking into the gently stirred froth of my cappuccino and saw three P-90's float up to the surface. Little did I know that you and Ron were the source.
    Simply stunning.
    Breathtaking.
    I can only imagine the rich tones...

16. joel

joel Member

What a wonderful guitar! And a work of musical sculpture! Wishing you many years of golden tone from #73...

17. carson072

carson072 Member

Gorgeous, I like all the choices on this one. Sweet.

18. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Been waiting to see the final result ever since Ron and Eric showed me the body and neck at the Thorn shop last year, which along with Dane's #03 made me change my Thorn order to Koa. Another masterpiece, and definitely one of the best Thorn's yet!!! Congrats!!!!

19. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

That wood is intense. It reminds me of pictures you see of the Martian landscape. Vivid and beautiful, you are stoked! What's happening with the nut? I've never seen the metal insert strategy before.

20. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Unbelievable... great.