Thorn Goodness Incoming.... and... New Thorn Pickups?!

GuitarGuy510

So I saw Thorn Artisan Standard #180 up for sale a short while ago here on TGP and being that I'm not only a huge fan of Ron's work (this makes Thorn # 4 for me! :beer) but also a HUGE fan of Silverburst finishes I absolutely had to have it! :D Only problem for me was that while I do dig P90 pickups, it's safe to say I'm definitely more of a humbucker kind of guy.

After speaking with Ron about not wanting to make him carve up this beauty, we were able to come to the conclusion that P90-sized humbuckers were in order. I owned a Jr. 90 for over a year and loved it (still miss that one, those Stapletop P90 pickups are the best! :eek:) so I figured I'd ask if there was any way to make Stapletop HUMBUCKERS that had the same clarity as the P90s Ron made for the Jr 90 series but with a little more ass and the added benefit of no hum. ;) Ron being Ron said that he had never made a set of those before and would love to take on the challenge just to see what he could do! :D Although I won't have her in my hands for a few days, Ron and Tony were both digging the pickups in this guitar so I'm excited because they both have great ears for tone! As of right now Ron is calling these pickups the GT90-H set. Here are a few pics Ron graciously snapped for me:

I can't wait, I'll be updating the thread in 3 or 4 days when I have the guitar in my hands and get some time to play around with the pickups! Without hearing them yet I can't comment on the tone of these pickups but I can definitely say they LOOK awesome! :drool

mikef1331

Congrats again Matt on getting Thorn #180. The new pickups look awesome & I can't wait to hear some clips of them. Now we need to convince Ron to make some staple top p-90's to fit a hum sized route. :D

GuitarGuy510

Congrats again Matt on getting Thorn #180. The new pickups look awesome & I can't wait to hear some clips of them. Now we need to convince Ron to make some staple top p-90's to fit a hum sized route. :D
You're thinking outside the box... and I like that! :beer In all seriousness, if Ron could get the stapletop p90 tone in a humbucker I'd be all over that! :D Ron actually said over the phone that the neck position had a little of that single coil-ish action going on, curious to hear it myself! :D

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Whooooo that's badass.

Sorry, I have to confiscate that on the grounds that it's Raider colors, and belongs here near Oakland.

AmplifyMe

You owe me!!!!!

That looks fantastic and I know how killer it plays!

Congrats on the high class decision to transition or alter it in this way.:aok

Now if we we in the late 70's carving it up for a Khaler and some Dimarzios would have been its fate!!!:FM

Shane S

That is really cool Matt. Hopefully Ron made another set for everyone to hear at the Thorn Open house in a couple of weeks. Enjoy your new guitar and new pickups!

Shadscbr

Congrats Matt, that is very cool.

Now you need to use your super powers to get Ron to build us a couple 7 string Thorns :)

Shad

RayRay

Matt... so cool of you to not get it hacked up for hums! This is much cooler.

And Ron... is there anything that you can't do? Wow!!!!

I want a set of these in something... we'll talk next week.

Congrats, Matt! Can't wait to hear it and your impressions!

Trending Topics