Thorn Grantura build pics (sound clips added @ 343)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by WayneM, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

There's a collection of talent for sure. Three wonderful players, three absurdly gorgeous and perfectly engineered instruments. Fantastic!

2. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

That is a magnificent testimonial for Thorn and Mr. Goldenberg; wowser :beer!

3. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Those are gorgeous! Ive been checking back on this thread for clips often!

I just bought a used deluxe goldtop and am obsessed with all things Thorn for the moment... So few clips, so much time (gets here Friday)! You would think the Thorn website was my homepage...

I went to Chico State and saw Spark and Cinder many times- a Chico staple! The internet has made it a small freakin world.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator and Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

5. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

Thanks for posting this Wayne. I watched it 3 times already!

With the risk of sounding corny, I have to say that there is an aura around this Grantura build that feels right on a lot of levels. IMHO It just looks "right" and based on the opinions of credible players who have posted here, it feels and sounds "right". To top it off, the fact that it is being introduced by a stellar crew led by Mark Goldenberg is just flat "right".

There is something about Mark's playing that is very inspiring. Last night I spent some time trying to mimick some of his voicing and tonal nuances that I heard in a clip. For me, thats what its all about.

Ron, if you are reading this. A little less reading this and a little more work on posting those clips! Just kidding, take your time, but hurry up! :horse

6. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I'll bet that was remarkable to listen to...three great players putting their skills into what has to be a remarkable instrument. I can't wait to check out the clips...! Have to add...besides three great players, they are also really good guys!

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

As someone once said, "I'm not fit to tie _____'s shoes" and I feel REALLY TRULY lucky to have the opportunity to be in the same room with let alone hang out and play with Mark and Dana....not to mention the Amazingly Talented Ron Thorn!!!

As Dana put in a phone call afterwards, "Gee, we really ought to thank Mark for the free lesson." (But I need to thank Dana AND Mark! So Thanks Gents!!!) Mark is such a fantastic player, the ideas just pour out of him...listening to him play is the musical equivalent of watching Jean Claude Killy swoosh down a slope; it just comes out so smoothly, naturally and effortlessly.

To the guys who are buying these guitars, you won't be disappointed. The workmanship, playability, tones are second to none. Just flawless.

8. meanmud

meanmud Member

Ok, you guys need to get a room, again.... Let's hear these guitars!

:band

9. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Leon..speaking of lesson, I just learned a new chord from you by looking at at picture :dude

10. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

This all went down at Simeon,TGP member bforest4's studio, which looks really nice. Nice setup Dude! I got a chance to watch that Jackson Brown clip, wow, great band, and Mark's playing is sublime, love the beautifully grindy textural rhythm playing and the solos. I have to admit to looking around at my pile of older guitars and wondering what I could do without, to snap up one of these Thorns. Asking Ron, is there any possibility that the Grantura design could support a vibrato?

11. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Simeon is a great guy, has great ears for sure. Always a joy to catch up with him when I'm in socal. I wanna trip to that studio though. he introduced me to the PWE and I'm still ticked...I can't swing one yet. LOL

12. bforest4

bforest4 Member

What a great day recording these 3 awesome musicians playing these amazing instruments!

I got to play these also, and am definitely scrambling to figure out a way to get one!

Thanks Big Mike and Mark R, come by anytime to play with the toys!

-Simeon

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^

And I forgot to mention that Simeon did a great job recording the Grantura demos last Sunday.

His studio, a full pro deal, was lovely. The room felt great and sounded great, he's got a fine selection of guitars, great amps and cabs as well as hip outboard gear and nice cabs and drums too, great mics.

He also is a good facilitator - he records, engineers and produces but never gets in the way or is obtrusive - he did a great job.

He's got a really cool PWE Event Horizon that I have a crush on - sounds amazing.

Great Job Simeon - thanks, Dana O.

14. big mike

You and me both Dana. I'm smitten. I could probably live with an EH2..I could do anything and more than I could ever need on that EH3.

15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

You and me both...:aok

16. jero

jero Member

Awesome looking guitars!

Can I ask what the selling price is? Cannot find it on the Thorn website :dunno

If prices are discrete then apologies for this direct question.

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Amazing looking guitars, no surprise there.

Can anyone tell me if these are more 335ish or more 339ish tonally?

Thanks,

S.
    j

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Steve -

More 335 to my ears, but I don't have much experience on a 339. They sound a lot like my 335, at least that's what I felt while I was playing one.

I'll go out on a limb (GRIN - a little joke) and say that IMHO, any ES-335 player will feel right at home on a Grantura - in fact, they'll wanna move in and stay.

Thanks, Dana O.

19. big mike

likely depends on options. I'd shoot an email over.

20. WayneM

WayneM Member

Mark,

If you consider a Bigsby as a vibrato.....that is one of the options.
    I adore that video...the entire band nailed it and Marks' guitar work just made it great.