Thorn Jr90 Trem (koi) with JTM45

Jaya

Gold Supporting Member
Mike, koi sounds awesome!
If I could/would choose between two I would prefer tremolo version.
Are they little heavier due to steel trem block?
Thanks for sharing,
Jaya

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Nah I think they offset with the wood removed.
Block is brass, 1 pcs thorn bridge.

I love them both pretty equally.

hapharriman

Nice playing Mike, great sounding guitars. Have had my eye on the Jr90 for a while, are they still orderable?

big mike

Cathode biased
Thanks for the compliment!

the answer is 'sorta'. LOL

Ron does a set neck carved top version now with no maple top called the Deluxe 58.
Trem or no trem, P90's or buckers.

http://thornguitars.com/customguitarhtm/D58-specs.htm
This would be closest to what I own. (sound same or better)

he also can do the Socal series bolt on (with 25.5 fender scale) in very similar specs. IE the GT90's and hardtail or trem. The Bolt ons and longer scale have a hair more 'snap' to them.

if you see the gallwery here there are a few close in spec G/T's.
http://thornguitars.com/socal-htm/socal-gallery/socal-gallery-01.htm

G/T 29 is close...Gt 43 is one Iv'e played and lust after, I think it even sounds better than this Koi.

Last edited:

hapharriman

Hmmm, that is a "sorta"!

Have mostly bolt-on's currently, looking for a P-90 or bucker set-neck with a little more snap as you say.

Never played a Thorn, they look like fantastic instruments..

big mike

Cathode biased
the deluxe 58 is the evolution of the Jr90. Same neck, same neck joint, only real difference is the non 'tele' style control layout, and the carved top.

Every thorn I've played, without exeception, has been remarkable. I admit I'm a total fan boy now, and Ron's become a friend in the process. But I absolutely adore them. No better fit and finish and attention to detail in the industry as far as I'm concerned.

The set neck D58 in korina will def. have a little more snap over a mahogany body version. The GT90 P90's are amazing. Little mroe 'snap and air' get it with a trem.

Mark Goldenberg is touring with one now (He's ex-jackson browne, and currently playing with Hue Laurie among others..amazing guitarist).

They really are just incredible.

hapharriman

Thanks for the info, time to give Ron a call.

I know Mark G, we both hail from Chicago and played the same circuit way, way back when. He was in the Eddie Boy Band. Have run into him a few times since then, one of my fav's!

big mike

Cathode biased
Mark amazes me everytime I see him, and a fantastic person. Love that guy!