Thorn Koa Deluxe Hum GT90 GT90, NGD!

bforest4

Silver Supporting Member
Another masterpiece from Thorn Guitars, and I am lucky enough to be the owner! Thorn Deluxe, Polexia grade koa top, one piece extra thick solid Korina body, Korina neck, super dark Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Thorn trem, 2 Thorn GT90's and a Throbak Dick Wagner humbucker, DW-102B, in the bridge. This tone machine has so many usefull sounds, it's ridiculous. The surprise is all 3 pickups, either with full humbucker, or split humbucker is just amazing sounding, and my favorite for clean sounds. I have owned or own 3 other Thorns with this pickup configuration, and it is probably my favorite, a super strat with the girth and attack of a les paul/solidbody guitar. I have some amazing guitars, including Thorns, Kolls, D'Pergo's, Asher, Underwood, R9's, but this just takes it up another notch, once again, truly stunning!

40901_12.jpg

40901_8.jpg

40901_2.jpg

40901_5.jpg

40901_10.jpg

40901_11.jpg

40901_1.jpg

Last edited:

kev

fire hydrant
Double Platinum Member
Outstanding! That is a(nother!) winner! I read that you got a turn or two on the gun in the spray booth...excellent work!

bforest4

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys! kev, I just got to produce the artist, Ron Thorn, as he did his thing! All I did was tell him when to stop. It was quite a thrill to watch the guitar transform in a matter of minutes in the paint booth, the dude has a seriously steady hand and you have to have alot of confidence and experience to knock out a burst with the quality that Ron achieves!

Reactions: kev

cpa2guitar

Gold Supporting Member
bforest4,

Wow that's a gorgeous guitar - congratulations on that beaut!

The koa top appears a bit too dark to be a natural finish. Which stain did Ron use on that top?

Thanks,

Kirk

bforest4

Silver Supporting Member
Light caramel burst on front and back. Switching is on the back rotary 6 way switch knob, with middle tone knob push pull for split humbucker plus more.

1 - Neck, 2 - Neck and Middle(push pull loses neck to get middle only in this position only), 3 - Neck and Bridge(push pull splits Bridge humbucker), 4 - Middle and Bridge(push pull splits Bridge humbucker), 5 - All 3 pickups(push pull splits Bridge humbucker), 6 - Bridge(push pull splits Bridge humbucker). Lots of choices and they are all very useable, position 5 being one of my favorites!

Kid Tele

:agree

I've always liked Koa but never enough to want to spec out a guitar with it. I've got a serious case of the wants right now!

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
Look tremendous , definitely jealous, lol.
Really looks like a fantastic guitar, I probably would have used different pickup switching but that's just me.
But really a great looking guitar, enjoy it

enigma

Congrats on that Beauty! Interesting pickup combination. One day I'll get my hands on a Thorn.

Shreve

Katzenjammer Kid
Platinum Supporting Member
I think I've looked at the pix about 7 or 8 times so far. Really terrific! :bow :bow

small axe

Silver Supporting Member
love the wood. the grain and look is so killer. and the pickups look classy. enjoy

Top Bottom