Thorn.....opinion please....

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by guitarcrazy2004, May 30, 2005.

1. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Hey i need your help with the sound comparisions from the maple top guitars....Do they sound similar to any model by PRS or gibson?? I would like to order one but need some opinions,as allways -THANKS:D

2. Ericsson

Ericsson Guest

They look like they're based pretty closely on a PRS Santana so you could always try one of those to get an idea, there should be one at your local guitar center for convenience.

3. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Thorns are completely and totally custom guitars. If you spec it out to sound like a PRs or gibson, you can bet it probably will. As for based on a Santana. Assuming what a guitar sounds like from the body shape is not an accurate assessment. Santana's are 24.5 scale guitars. That gives it's own characteristics. If you go with a 24.75 scale with single coils or P-90s you are not going to sound anything like a Santana. Talk to Ron about the tones you are trying to get and see what he reccommends. Good luck.

cmn

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

+1

Right on the nose.

Signed - owner, Thorn #47. :D

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Yep, +2.....

Ron does incredible work, and if you spend a bit of time talking to him about what you want he'll get you there. I have Thorn 091 and I'm sure it sounds very different than Scott's Polexia-grade Koa baby. Both great tones, just different. :D

6. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

+3

My Thorn #18 damn sure won't sound like Scott or John's Thorns. Ron rocks. Call him, let him know what you're after, and he can get you there. A great experience, and a phenominal guitar whichever your direction.

7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

cnardone has it right. Thorns aren't based on PRS Santanas...they're all "based on" the basic body sillouette of old Gibson Les Paul double-cuts (juniors/specials) from the 50s. Other than the outline of the body...Thorns don't necessarily have anything in common with them...or they can an awful lot in common with them...depending on what you're going for. Your choices are just about infinite.

8. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Thanks guys....hard decision..talked to ron-super guy.....time to call back......leon i have a 9/15 that makes my hair stand up!!!! Now i only hope rons guitars do that toooooooo:D

9. big mike

It will no worries there.

10. Ericsson

Ericsson Guest

[​IMG]

Seems pretty close to me.

11. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

So you think Gibson based their double cut shape on PRS' Santana too?:rolleyes:

12. big mike

Yeah, 22 frets...birdseye maple....different purfling...control layout, scale length, inlay...Straight Santana copy. Oh yeah, see it immediately.:rolleyes:

Guess Hamer is a Santana copy, as is the Gibson LP DC huh?

Dude. It's "influenced" by a 59 Double cut LP Jr. Just like PRS' first design.

13. Ericsson

Ericsson Guest

hero worship defies reality

14. big mike

Whatever. If you don't dig it, don't buy one. More for me. Some people just can't be happy unless they're peeing in someone else's pool.

15. MOJO

MOJO Member

Hamer been using the shape since the 70's also..PRS was not to originator of double cut shape

16. Testudo

Testudo Member

No, Gibson was probably the first with that doublecut shape - as has been noted, with the '59 LP Jr. Hamer, PRS, and Thorn have all borrowed a bit (or a lot, however you like it) from that shape.

17. Ericsson

Ericsson Guest

I'm not saying the guitar sucks, I'm saying it's remarkably close to the Santana design. Not just the body shape.

18. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

thanks bigmike...........now the wait.....;)

19. big mike

You say it's remarkably close to the Santana. Fine. But your first post said, basically, go play a Santana, it's close enough. You are misinformed.

The Santana is an Evolution of the Gibson design
    The Hamer Studio is an evolution of a Gibson design
    The Thorn is an evolution of a gibson design
    the Gibson LP Doublecut is an evolution of a gibson design.

Now. all 4 of the above guitars, sound nothing alike IMO (Unless you spec'd the thorn as such) but all designs evolved from a common 59 LP jr shape. It on NO WAY means, that they're all the same, or will sound the same.

The original poster, has not mentioned what spec's his desired Thorn will have. you chose one of the most similar Thorns to illustrate your point. But go back through the gallery, and there's more that bear no simbalance to the Santana then there are that are similar.

Point 1, Scale Length. Ron does not offer the Santana scale of 24.5
    Point 2 Number of frets. Thorns are only available in 22 fret.
    Point 3 Control layout. No where close unless requested.
    Point 4 Pups. You chose a thorn that couldn't be FURTHER from a Santana in this respect. Those are Rio Grandes, and the neck pup is actually 2 single coils wired together for a better split tone.
    Point 5 Body shape. Not identical.
    Point 6. Try getting a Chambered Santana with a stoptail.

You are making broad generalizations that are incorrect. One COULD spec a thorn to be a Santana-esque design. But it STILL wouldn't be the same. Too many things arent available to do it. IE Fret #, Scale, etc etc.

Now in saying this, it's obvious I'm a Thorn fan, but I also own 5 PRS. But if I wanted a santana, I'd buy a Santana. It's a different beast.

This one's mine, #018. No where NEAR a Santana clone.
    How do you know something like this isn't what the thread starter wants? A Santana will NOT put you in this ballpark.

[​IMG]

Peace,
    Mike

20. Ericsson

Ericsson Guest

Why is it such a big deal that the guitars are very similar?