• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Thornbucker and Pearly Gates

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
I recently put a Pearly Gates in the bridge of my Gibson Pat Martino. It was a nice change, I find the Pearly Gates to be less muddy than the stock 57. I would like to try a Thornbucker, does anyone have a comparison or thoughts on a Thornbucker and Pearly Gates?

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
I've got a PG in the bridge of my PRS Custom. I have a Thornbucker that I had in the bridge of a Charvel So Cal. WAY different guitars, WAY different construction. But by way of comparison, they were in a similar ballpark, but the Thornbucker (mine has a cover) was a bit lower output than my uncovered PG.

Probably very little help but it's all I've got....

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! I'm just going to get one and try it out. I want to change the pickups in my PRS McCarty as well so they will have a home either way.

Jason Carter

Gold Supporting Member
Had a chance to try a Classic 57, Pearly Gates and the Thornbucker in my Gibson Pat Martino. It is a simi-hollow thin bodied guitar that has a carved maple top, mohagany body with an ebony fingerboard. I'm not a jazz guy, I use it with mid gain to play blues, rock and hard rock. All three pickups sound good in the guitar but I stayed with the Thornbucker. The Thornbucker lives up to its billing:

Balance, Warmth, Sweetness, Clarity, Versatility and Tone!

I really can't describe it any better than the above statement. I will say this that it seems that with the Thornbucker I have wider range of adjustment on my overdrive pedals. Its like the sweat spot on each has been expanded, a bit more versatility. If your looking for a change in your pickups I would give the Thornbuckers a try.

ArchtopAnimal

Jason , have you still got the Thornbucker ? I've just got a set cheap hardly used second hand set from emporium and put them in one of these lefties : Very nice indeed . Money well spent , but I didn't reckon Pete was misleading us either ; he's solid on reviews imho ;-) I've a '90's ES335 with Classic57/plus that's too much trouble to try them in first , versus
the Tokai that definitely needed attention !

Trending Topics