Thornton #2 has arrived

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Ches, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

First of all, I can't believe I'm taking time away from playing to write this, so it'll be relatively short!

I've been GASing for a CP Thornton for a few years and a Legend Special was my first. It didn't take long for a second to find it's way through the door! I noticed this Legend on Chuck's website in the "For Sale" section. It was made in the last batch and I can't believe it was still available. It arrived yesterday and it went to practice with me last night.

[​IMG]

The build quality is exactly what you'd expect from Chuck. Absolutely top notch. I really like what he does to the neck - they just seem to fit my hand perfectly and I never get any hand fatigue no matter how long we play. The fret work is outstanding - just like glass.

The Marshallhead pickups are great. Big, fat low end without being boomy. Despite having balls like King Kong, there's great string clarity. I'm really digging these pickups. The bridge pickup is KILLER!

And, yes, how about that top? Schweet, eh? I hate to say it, but pictures don't do it justice. Even with no flash, it jumps right out at you. An amazing piece of wood, to say the least! The fretboard has some nice streaking in it - something I prefer that gives it a little more character.

Chuck has spoiled me beyond belief. Nothing else compares, but that's ok . . . I really don't want to play anything else!!!

Got to stop typing and start playing again!
    Ches

2. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Member

Congrats! I know of a couple of local players with "Chucks" and they love their guitars. Thorntons' shop is less than an hour from where I live, I really need to pay a visit.

3. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

Beautiful guitar. Enjoy!!

4. BluesLou

BluesLou Member

Congratulations, I know you are enjoying both of your Thorntons.
    I have several myself and once I got my first I never looked back.
    I won't repeat what you already stated about Chucks builds.

Chuck's models aren't just reworked clones, Chuck innovates and creates. Cool guy also, talk about a guy that gets excited when you start talking design, tone, and anything guitars.. Chuck and Rich are a great team..

Enjoy

5. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

Thanks, guys. I'm really stunned by this guitar and the LS. Both are just spectacular, and I feel fortunate to own some of Chuck's gear.

Back to playing . . . :D

6. jaystrings

jaystrings Member

I won't state the obvious about Chuck's work. But I will state that your Legend could not possibly look better in person than in the pics. I'll accept that it plays as good as it looks, but it just couldn't look any better than the pic you posted & those on his website of this guitar. One helluva GAS inducer!! BIG CONGRATS!!!

7. simplecomplexity

simplecomplexity Senior Member

that's a really nice burst!

8. artguy47

artguy47 Ol' CuRmUGeOn

ARRRRGHHHH!!!! This is killing me, I want a Thornton SOOOOOOO BADLY! Need to pay for the Suhr, then the Ian A., first. Then!!!!!

Congratulatioins on a truely beautiful instrument!

9. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

Thanks! The picture looks good, but in all honesty, it looks amazing in person. Better yet, it plays great and sounds even better. Well worth the sacrifices made to bring it home!

10. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

oh, now, why'd you go and do that. i had to look on the site to see what else is available and there is a black one still available......durn!

11. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

12. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions Gold Supporting Member

WOW!

That's a beauty of guitar.

Congrats and enjoy!

13. Ches

Ches Supporting Member

I can't say enough good things about Chuck and his craftsmanship. I'm totally hooked. God help me if someone throws a Professional up for sale.

As for the Fusion in the Buy and Sell section . . . must resist . . .