Thornton Guitars

Discussion in 'Reviews of Electric Guitars' started by Marty Grass, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Marty Grass

Marty Grass Member

I have several of Chuck Thornton's guitars. Specifically, I have his Classic, Contoured Legend Special, an earlier true hollowbody Improv, and the 10th Anniversary hollowbody. I can't rave enough about the overall quality of each build and the inspired thoughtfulness of the designs.

I've had Thorntons for more than a decade and haven't had a single issue with them. Their setups are perfect on arrival. I've made some minor adjustments only when I used heavier strings, which is expected under the best of conditions.

There are no corners cut in the build. The finest woods are used. The finishes are beautiful.

I have a Super 400, a Johnny Smith, numerous Gibson semi-hollows and a couple of other archtops, and various Heritages. The guitars that feel most natural in my hands and consistently sound great are the Thorntons.

It is true that Thorntons do cost more. But they are worth it for the quality and peace of mind in purchase you get. I was getting frazzled dealing with recurrent minor issues with the more common brands.

I want to support Chuck's work here because he doesn't get the attention he deserves.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. GasMask

GasMask Member

Love my Thornton (Improv)! Flawless construction by one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. An underrated master builder. I lust after a 10th anniversary/16" archtop! I've spoken with him about it- maybe someday.....

3. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

I completely agree re Thornton guitars, and like you I have never figured out why TGP doesn’t love on them the way they do instruments from some other builders. It’s a deep mystery.

That said, there is one place where I think you make a mid-statement:

Cost more compared to what? New Thornton Tele-styles sell for about what *used* Fender CS telecasters go for, for much (in my experience) better build. The shock to me is that he hasn’t moved into the $4K+ zone on those yet ... he’d get it and deserve it. Thorntons in my view are distinctive values in the market.

Other than that, I’m with you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 8:40 AM
    jwalker99 likes this.
  4. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

My C.P. Thornton Improv ended my search for a semi-hollowbody guitar. I was so impressed with the aesthetics, design innovations, build quality, tone, ergonomics and playability of this guitar that I quickly followed up my Improv purchase with a C.P. Thorton Legend. Both of these instruments are incredible guitars, and are a joy to play. I now have a Blues Queen on order, which I'm really looking forward to getting in a few months.

middlechainringguy likes this.
  5. jwalker99

jwalker99 Member

Agreed 100%.

Chuck is a great master builder. I all own his solid bodies. The Strat known as the HTL or Homage to Leo, the Nashville Tele, which is a great spanky sounding machine, gold top Special and the Blues Queen which is for sale at the Music Zoo if anyone is interested.

He is acessible by phone and a happy guy. My opinion is that his guitars are not marketed as well as they are built. The resale market shows this. Many people just dont know of CP Thornton. Anyway, his guitars are great values in the used market. Go on reverb and see for yourself.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?make=cp-thornton-1

remocity and middlechainringguy like this.
  6. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

This thread needs more pics just about here. My contribution: Classic II with Lollars, matador red:

PLX likes this.
  7. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Isn't the Blues Queen a Semi-Hollow guitar?

8. remocity

remocity Supporting Member