those 20w H/W marshall heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Jun 26, 2005.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i played one of those H/W marshall heads that are 20w,also through the matching 2x12 cab.
    man i couldnt beleive how bloody loud this thing was and the georeous tone it spat out.
    if these thing wernt $2700 i would of walked out of the store with it today!
    anyone here own one? tell me about your own experience w/ it.

2. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love mine! It's a sweet sweet amp. I do use some attenuation, but it get's "THAT" tone at much more reasonable club levels. I love it!!!

Oh, I didn' t bother with the cab. Pfffft. Too overpriced. I'm using an Openback Avatar with Greenbacks until my Scumbacks get here.

3. Shemp

Shemp Member

I own a set. It's exactly as advertised, a classic raw Marshall in a 20 watt size. It does get loud, but works surprisingly well at lower volumes with a good pedal. I disagree about the cab. I own 3 2X12s, including a huge overbuilt Madsounds Cab with a pair of Wizards and a Jenkins 2X12 with V30 and H30, and the matching cab with H30s is hands down the best.

4. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Cheating? Yeah, maybe...

[​IMG]

The head's an original '73 20 watter that Hogy modded with the voice of god. The cab's also a 73 with the original speakers/cones. Such a cool cool amp. Chiba and I have been meaning to put mine next to his RI some time for a side by side. Should be fun.

-e.

5. Shemp

Shemp Member

Nice! I'd love to hear the side by side, but given the age on the speakers make sure you try each cab with each head.

6. eric102673

eric102673 Member

I think we'll probably just be going head to head as it were. I don't want to lug that bigass 412 up there, and it wont fit in the car with all the other gear I'll be taking anyway. :D
    We'll use the cabs that are on hand. Obviously it wouldn't be a real test unless they both go through the same cab.

-e.

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Plus, even if he did lug a 4x12 up here, I wouldn't help him carry it - I don't 'do' 4x12 cabs :D

I passed on the matching 2x12 as well, strictly for cost purposes. I don't think it's necessarily overpriced for what it is, but it does cost more than I'm willing to spend on a speaker cab.

I started out running my 2061X through a couple different 1x12s, and now run it through an all-original (but not quite vintage) 1965A 4x10 cab that makes it sound simply heavenly!!

Great amp, great sound.

--chiba

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

I've only played the combo version and they sound great. A bit too simple controls for my tastes but what they do they do really well. They also sound very good at reasonable volumes which is nice.

9. noctilux1

noctilux1 Member

had a '72 20 watt head and ran it through an older, 8x10 Marshall cab at 8ohms, that was a beautiful combination. then I switched the 20 watter to 16 ohms and ran it through a 2x12 open back with jbl D120's. that was a little different. at lower volumes the 8x10 just blew it away. if you cranked that 20 watt head, the 2x12 was superior. the jbl's had more clairity at the higher volumes and didn't mush out.
    a great little amp

10. brent

brent Member

I have the 2061 head and cabinet, It fills all my Marshall needs at very reasonable volumes. It does great classic Plexi/JMP tones with a surprising amount of versatility given the limited controls-there are aLOT of great Marshall sounds to be had with this head. Its not anywhere near high gain but definitely all Marshall with that immediacy of attack I always associate with a great old Marshall.

I think the cab is the secret weapon portion of this setup, I definitely prefer this head through a closed back cabinet. It sounds good through my THD 2x12 but the 2061X is the way to go for any type of distortion tones with this head, it has great low-end does a really nice 3-D dispersion when unattenuated and the 1 piece slanted baffle is a brilliant idea for getting nice coverage on stage without killing people 20-30 feet out. I've been using this cab pretty much exclusively since I got it the Flexi sounds great through it although there is almost too much low-end available with that combination.

11. jeffh

jeffh Silver Supporting Member

Played both this weekend and loved them.

I played the 20 watt head and cabinet in a store, and played the 18 watter that was brought to an open mic our band hosts. The 18 watter hung in there with the drummer, not sure how it projected off stage as it was not mic'd.

A rather gifted player got up and ran it with my Trem Cat. It was awfully cool !!

Guess what I want !!

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Hello gentle sir. Would you be so kind as to compare your Marshall 20 head with your Dr Z Carmen Ghia?

Sincerely,
    Mr Manners

guitar007 likes this.
  13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Wow. Mr. Manners now! ;)

Um, lesse....well, the ghia is a bit more rude (not that that's a bad thing) it has it's own sound that has some EL84 and Voxy/Marshally overtones to it. The Marshall is well....a Marshall. Compeletly different beast. It's got less chime but a smoother mid character. It sounds more like a small plexi, where the Ghia is really it's own amp. Different strokes.

I like the Ghia better with Single Coils and the Marshall with Buckers.

14. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Mini-halfstack :D

[​IMG]

Still trying to track down that 1965B cab...

--chiba

15. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

73 20 watter through a 1972 4x10.
    [​IMG]

ModEdit: removed an errant tag that was fudging the formatting. --chiba PS Cool cab!

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful rig Tony. :)

17. pepperco

pepperco Member

:dude

I have one, for 9 monthes now. This little amp continues
    to amaze and delight me. It really makes me want to play.
    The guys in the band love it too. Last rehearsal during a
    pause we all just sat and listened to the tone of my
    amp for a little bit. Just to hear what a Marshall is
    SUPPOSED to sound like. Jimmy Page all the way,
    back off on the attack and it gets clean, lean into
    the amp and grab feedback easily.
    All at a reasonable volume.

I have been able to squeeze a little more headroom out
    of the amp. I made several changes at the same time so
    I don't know which one gave me the little boost, here is
    what I did.

I am playing it through an Orange 2X12, originally it had
    vintage 30's, one of them was rubbing so I replaced both
    of them with Mojo Tone 30's. I also had my tech mod the
    normal channel to be EXACTLY like the bright channel.
    I thought I would try an A/B box for switching. At the same
    time I swapped the power tubes for new JJ's. The end result
    has been great. Now I can run the treble on 10 without
    the extra gain. It stays a little cleaner all the way up on
    the tone dial. Sweet. Run it on 10 and use the tone
    control on the guitar to tweek it back a smidge.

It really likes My SG better than my Tele. The 57 classic
    humbucker adds the right midrange peak to really make
    the rig "sit in the mix".

Could not be happier. :D

18. swankmotee

swankmotee Member

I've been playing a couple of original ones from 69' and 73' which I cascaded the preamp stages on and made them into little "100 watters" which are perfect for getting the Marshall experience at lower club levels. They are VERY loud through old basketweave 4x12's and that's the way I've always run them and never had a problem with them pushing them. It's really easy to get the "Gibbons" tone out of a vintage Strat which always befuddles many a guit picka because they just can't understand that phat sound coming from single coils?~!?!HA! I absolutely love em' for live and studio playing and could not live without that sound! :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

19. pepperco

pepperco Member

I forgot to mention......

When I changed the speakers I rewired the cab.
    I hard wired each 8 ohm speaker to its own input.
    And I am running both outputs on the amp, with the
    ohms set at 4 to both speakers at the same time.

I thought I would try running only one speaker
    when I needed less volume. I found out right
    away it sounded really weak running only one speaker.
    But, running both speaker outputs at 4 ohms gives me a
    better sound than before.

So I have a question, In general would changing the
    ohms selector to 4 give you a little cleaner character on
    a Marshall amp? I have no experience with ohms selectors.
    Also, is 4 ohms the proper setting for two 8 ohm speakers
    while running both amp outputs ?

Thanks !!

20. MikeP

MikeP Member

they do sound excellent. As someone else said I think the cab really helps it too.
    As for price ...........If your the least bit handy with a soldering iron. You can build one for 700-ish before the cab.
    Here is mine. Although I just got done switching the trem channel to a TMB (treble-middle-bass) style instead.
    [​IMG]