those '60's Guild mini HB pickups?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by WahmBoomAh, Sep 23, 2017.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I`m kind of intrigued by these for a jazz guitar. I remember Jimmy D'Aquisto used them in the old days as his favorite jazz guitar pickup and there was a time Jim Hall had a 175 with Jimmy`s ebony board on it and the Guild mini HB.
    I briefly had a Capri with them but it's been so long ago.
    Any fans out there ? love em? Hate em? How have you used them to your satisfaction?
    thanks

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

You may want to visit the Let's Talk Guild web forum. Google it.

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels

I like them on my Starfire XII because the brightness suits the jangly nature of the guitar. For 6-strings, though, I much prefer the HB-1s from the 1970s onward; they have a much fuller sound, both chimy and woody at the same time, with higher output.

Drew816 and soulohio like this.
  4. WahmBoomAh

spent an hour surfing over there ...thanks .
    I still haven`t found an in depth on it ...but get the idea. Kind of a single coil chimey version of a HB.
    I have a pair and sent them to a luthier doing a special build for me ...jazz guitar that can do some crunch and twang too. If we can get past the routing in the top issue I`m gonna go for it .

5. captaincanada

captaincanada Member

My 1966 Guild CE-100 came with a mini humbucker.. which I soon discovered was much too bright (and thin sounding) for my purposes, which is playing jazz. It was many years ago when I replaced it with a full sized humbucker, but I seem to remember that the mini-humbucker read like 4.5-5 ohms...

Drew816 and bobmc like this.
  6. WahmBoomAh

I hear you but since a tele can do it depending on the amp and settings ...i`m thinking it`s a way around the honk and mud I sometimes get out of Gibby`s on this particular gtr design with a thicker carved top and no holes for feedback resistance

captaincanada likes this.
  7. Jayyj

Jayyj Member

The only Guild electric I've owned was a '68 Starfire and I always found them to be more like a gold foil than anything else, if maybe somewhat higher output. It was a cool guitar but it was never the first guitar I went for.

Although I'm by no means a jazz player I always found a fully hollow Gibson with a neck P90 to be the perfect guitar for clear, clean toes that are chimey without being overly bright. My '65 ES330 is definitely my number one for clean sounds.

8. blujaz1

blujaz1 Supporting Member

the sound isn't so great on this vid. Last I heard Tim Lerch owns this guitar now. Might be good to get his thoughts on it.

WahmBoomAh likes this.
  9. blujaz1

blujaz1 Supporting Member

I just found this video. The sound is a little more clear. I love the CE-100s. Mine is a '61 with Franz pickups. I think they're warmer and "thicker" sounding than the mini humbuckers. Very nice for jazz tones.

erksin likes this.
  10. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've not played the minis I guess. I have had the HB's with the two raised areas on the cover. There are those mini's that seem to have big poles... not sure what those are called, are they actually SC's? but they are clean bright ugly IMO. The small pickups I'm talking about look like this: (They were in a model that looked a lot like a Johnny A shape with double venetian cutaway, hollow. Man that guitar sounded terrible, woody and clean with no sustain.)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  11. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

I'm not sure why people are showing single coil Guilds. I have a 1970 M-85, the last year of the hollow model I think. I also have a 1974 M-85 which is solid and has the full size pups. The Mini Hums are very nice. The neck pup is not really suitable for jazz, but does great wailing blues licks . The later full sized pups are more suitable for jazz as they are thicker sounding. Remember, Guilds were wired with the pups out of phase. Very Peter Green sounding (which I dig) in the middle position. Someone mentioned the Franz single coils. They are probably best for jazz if you like the P90 sound.

WahmBoomAh likes this.
  12. nmiller

That stopped when they brought in the larger HB-1s.

WahmBoomAh likes this.
  13. WahmBoomAh

OP here. I actually have used the HB-1 so I know and dig their sound alot. That and the fact that D'Aquisto cited the mini as his favorite were the factors in snagging a pair of 60's minis I realize Jimmy had limited exposure to all we have today. The fact that the HB 1 footprint is bigger than a Gibby turns me off. Plus I ended up preferring the Ellis HB over the HB1. Im looking at the mini as an alternative sound. Keep the helpful feedback comin please!!!

Mark Kane likes this.
  14. Dirtystranger

Dirtystranger Supporting Member

Ok...I know that my 1970 hollow Bluebird has the smaller 'bucker and is wired OOP. My 1975 Bluesbird has an extra switch which throws the pups OOP. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

15. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

The old guild mini's have there own thing going on. clarity, chimey, and can get a nice grit, grind to them.
    I had to pot mine for higher gain with no ill effect on the tone of.
    Great pickup, almost a P90 character to them. Lovely pickup.

[​IMG]

erksin and Drew816 like this.
  16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Is that a fully hollow or solid one? My Bluesbird had pickups that looked like that, but I wouldnt call them minis, pretty much HB size. But mine had 2 height adjustment screws on one side like many guilds.

17. nmiller

The hollow and semi-hollow versions have harp tailpieces, while the solidbody version has a stop tailpiece screwed into the body. In Guild parlance, these are minis; if they have three height-adjustment screws, they're HB-1s (which are slightly larger than Gibson humbuckers).

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Cool, thanks. Yes I've had both hollows and semis. I guess my 69 had HB1's. (they had that look of the tops in your pic though, not flat on top) I thought some of the early 70's solids had harp tailpieces before they went to the slanted tailpiece?

19. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Full hollow. a sound board was added for reduction of uncontrollable feedback and bridge support.

20. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yeah, when I had my 69 I had a marshall stack! The hollow worked perfectly for the start of Foxy Lady! Stand in front of the stack and it would feedback as long as you wanted. Sometimes I thought the Bluesbird was going to come apart!