Those 70's radio hits you never hear anymore.

WickedPenguin

It didn't come out in the 70s, but it was hanging around on 70s radio like an especially hard-to-kill vampire: Sonny and Cher....I Got You Babe.

Worst part is, it had finally faded out when Groundhog Day came out, and gave that song another year's worth of currency. Which is a shame, because I adore that movie and hate having even a trivial reason to resent it.

Think Floyd

Gold Supporting Member
I might be in the minority, but IMO a lot of those 70s songs are far better than most of the music recorded over the past 40 some years. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd rather listen to those 70s One Hit Wonders and wonder why everyone seems to hate them so much!

WickedPenguin

I might be in the minority, but IMO a lot of those 70s songs are far better than most of the music recorded over the past 40 some years. I'd even go so far as to say that I'd rather listen to those 70s One Hit Wonders and wonder why everyone seems to hate them so much!

That's a shame....there's been a lot of fantastic music recorded in those 40 years. I mean, we like what we like, but it makes me sad when people miss the good stuff happening around them.

I suppose that's most everyone, though....an awful lot of folks my age think popular music peaked in 1994, too.

Norm N Playin

Real dogs don't go Moo!
Silver Supporting Member
No one remembers the name of this song or the artist, BUT everybody remembers hearing it on the radio. (...maybe if America would have covered it?)
Hold on - Ian Gomm

And of course, these guys...
Vahevala (sail away) - Loggins and Messina

fitz

This thread popped up. I started reading it and wanted to respond to this post before realizing that it's over 2 years old. I'll respond anyway.

There's a fun interview with Rupert Holmes on the Sodajerkers On Songwriting podcast in which he tells how "Timothy" was a calculated attempt to make a recording a hit due to it being banned.

I guess the Jerry Kelly Band was related to Dakota? I saw them at a festival in the early '80s and they noted their connection to both The Buoys and Chicago. I looked them up on internet a few years ago and read about it, and had a brief e-conversation with a former member about the fact that some people think The Buoys were from the DC area (they're not).

The Jerry Kelly Band was genesis of Dakota. Jerry Hludzik (RIP) & Bill Kelly were the guitarists/songwriters of the band, great guitarists & vocalists, good guys in general. They were a major part of the Wyoming Valley (Wilkes Barre/Scranton, PA) scene which was hopping at that time during the '70's. Our band were underlings to these guys, but I had many chances to talk and meet with them.

Funny story: I worked sound with the sound guy from our band on a Dakota show right before Dakota went on tour with Queen. Our sound guy was a wizard and right after that he went on tour with Clair Brothers Audio in support of the Queen tour with Dakota opening. Turns out our sound guy moved on from Clair Brothers & became the stage monitor mixer for U2 and just retired after 20+ years. That is my claim to fame!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom