Those 70's radio hits you never hear anymore.

charliechitlins

Silver Supporting Member
As bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam become Classic Rock, some great old stuff gets bumped off the list.
If you're only rotating 100 or so songs, something's gotta give.

E2942

Love Kills - Vinnie Vincent Invasion

and thinking to Mark Slaughter,

I wouldn't mind hearing Up All Night or Fly to the Angels, either.

oops, wrong decade

Last edited:

jpagey

Silver Supporting Member
Today it seems to be about 40.

I'm 51 so I remember when the rock stations played all the songs above.

I set up a Jefferson Starship station on Pandora and thumbed up some of the older Marty Balin hits and all of the sudden, the station started playing all kinds of great 70s hits that I hadn't heard in years. Stuff like this:

Driver’s Seat is a great song

dr.prick

At one time they were hits. Now you never hear them. In an endless ocean of Stairway..., Free Bird, and More Than A Feeling, these tunes have fallen from playlists.

I'll start off with this gem. Is it rock? Is it disco? Is it funk? All I know is it has awesome harmony vocals and a great guitar/sax solo.

Remember these?

Whaddya got?

There's an Arkansas radio group that plays these hits, but MOSTLY deep hits. "Arkansas Rocks". It's a format that is pushed through multiple Arkansas stations. Can probably find it online. You'd probably dig it.

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
I grew up in Peoria, IL in the late 1970s. Every Friday and Saturday night, the local AOR song would play every one of these live cuts for all the kids driving around cruising. And everyone *LOVED* them.

Gary Richrath was local and was a hero to central Illinois guitar players.

Ted has jumped the shark, but I'll post this anyway:

Last edited:

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
Betcha no one remembers this 'un, it was HUGE on Philly FM radio in '73... I even saw them perform it, I think it was at the Tower...

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Are we talking about Terrestrial Radio? Who knows what formula they use for their playlist - Sirus XM plays everything - they've got a channel that covers every kind of music - Jazz - Rock - HipHop (and all of it's incarnations)- R&B etc...you can hear anything you want at almost any time of day.

ifallalot

Silver Supporting Member
Sirius XM has Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks, Classic Rewind, and Rock Bar amongst others where you can hear all these songs

Hoodster

Silver Supporting Member
Fun thread, but as others have said, I hear most of these on my rural classic rock radio station, as well as in the grocery stores.

I can’t remember where I saw it online, but I once found a list that was supposed to be from these formulaic classic rock radio stations, and it had about 1200 songs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom