Those 70's radio hits you never hear anymore.

dedmouse

Silver Supporting Member
I've gone down a Little River Band rabbit hole lately. They were really good and I don't know why I never listened to their stuff past what I heard on the radio.

LRB had some serious vocal chops. All the bands I've been in over the years were heavy on vocal harmonies and I love bands that are the same way.

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
Fun thread, but as others have said, I hear most of these on my rural classic rock radio station, as well as in the grocery stores.

I can’t remember where I saw it online, but I once found a list that was supposed to be from these formulaic classic rock radio stations, and it had about 1200 songs.

Let's hear it for grocery stores with adventuresome playlists. I heard "I don't want to go to Chelsea" (1977!) playing in a Wholefoods. (Not my normal grocery store!)

gazfrome

Today it seems to be about 40.

I'm 51 so I remember when the rock stations played all the songs above.

I set up a Jefferson Starship station on Pandora and thumbed up some of the older Marty Balin hits and all of the sudden, the station started playing all kinds of great 70s hits that I hadn't heard in years. Stuff like this:

They still play Driver's Seat a lot in the UK, I hear it quite a few times a year on Radio 2.

gazfrome

omg I swore if I ever heard Love Is Alive again, I would have to break a radio somewhere. That guy was on every music show, and that song was on every station every couple of hours. He must have made several million $ on it alone.

Those Leo Sayer tracks were kind'a cool. "You make me feel like dancin" was one I thought they did well live.
I've not heard maybe half of these songs, and the 70's were huge for me music wise, my teen years. I've never heard that Gary Wright song before - shows that some songs were only hits in one country, and for whatever reason didn't break out elsewhere (I'm in the UK). Leo Sayer's stuff is still played a lot over here.

daveccampbell

i recall specifically in Kroger (Louisville, KY) hearing some really deep cuts on occasion. older Steely Dan and not the standard 5 songs, Herbie Hancock 'Rocket', etc. (not so deep, but notable for a grocery store). what's the deal with that - is it something that was promoted at the annual Grocers Conference the last few years?
for my contribution i always liked Badfinger, but only recently dove into their story and albums.
i also liked Chris Cross during earlier days, so really loved this guitar solo review done by Rick Beato:

jkl

At one time they were hits. Now you never hear them. In an endless ocean of Stairway..., Free Bird, and More Than A Feeling, these tunes have fallen from playlists.

I'll start off with this gem. Is it rock? Is it disco? Is it funk? All I know is it has awesome harmony vocals and a great guitar/sax solo.

Remember these?

Whaddya got?

Albums that the whole thing was a hit/ FM Radio:
Ziggy (Bowie & The Spiders From Mars), Electric Warrior (T-Rex), Never Mind The Bullocks (Sex Pistols) and the first albums for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Cars, and Van Halen

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member

Ok, here's something you never thought you'd read:

I got a wicked The Soapmakers by Clutch vibe off of the first verse to Crazy Horses by the Osmonds.

Maybe it's all in my head... you be the judge:

80smetalhead

Ozone Safe Hair Metal Served Daily \m/
Gold Supporting Member
I sang “Joy To the World” at a 7th grade recital lol

“Hello It’s Me” hits me hard in the feels to this day. Always reminds me of being 11 years old and listening to my portable radio under the covers late at night. Love “I Saw The Light” too.

Always loved “Don’t Pull Your Love” but especially so after it was used in the Harley Quinn and Batman animated movie. It was great (and hilarious) in that scene.

Last edited:

gmccoy

The 70's was a tough decade. It had to follow the 60s and was simply going to pale by comparison, no matter what anyone did. However, there was some really good stuff. Then, in the 80s it all came crashing down.

Top Bottom