• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Those Gibson "quick connect" circuit boards...

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone know what the volume pot values are? 500 or 300?

Not mine...just a picture for an example.

PunkKitty

Silver Supporting Member
I pulled the board out of my LPJ, swapped the pickups, and rewired it. It made a huge difference.

I attribute most of that difference to rewiring it. I pulled the 490r/498t set and replaced them with a Burstbucker 1 neck and a 57 Classic + bridge. I like the sound of 490s and have them installed in a few guitars. They are different than BB's and 57C's, but not that different. The new wiring really opened up the sound of that guitar. IMO the circuit boards just suck tone away from the guitar.

RTR

Mine had that setup in it. It's now in a bag in my junk drawer. Replaced with a '59 neck and a Pearly Gates bridge, 500k CTS pots and Orange Drop caps. It's now like it was meant to be.

PCB in a LP? Meh...

ke3ee

Yes, I would love to hear why and how the boards hurt the sound of the guitar. I personally like 300k pots in my LP and SG.IF 300k pots hurt sound that bad Gibson wouldn't have and wouldn't be using them on current production. There's no cost different between 300k and 500k pots. My LP has orange drop caps on the board. I've only been an EE for 30 years and I cant figure it out. To me it helps keep cost down a bit with automated production, you don't have to worry about solder joints. It may make changing Pickups a bit harder.. but heck PRS changed the size of their pickups to hamper changes with other brands. There are some of the connectors needed on Ebay.

D|C|M|E

I don't know. I'm pretty sure my 2016 SG Standard has QuickConnect in it (never opened it, just assumed) and I've never felt more like the rolling back of the volume knob has attentuated the high end sparkle my tone when cleaning up a drive tone than when I use this very guitar. Something sounds off. Its not as warm of a clean up. Seriously considering having old school pots and orange drops installed. Of course, I assume this means I need to replace the pickups to standard solder connect versions. More expense. I wish Gibson could have just done it right from the get go.

ferrinbonn

A circuit board is going to make absolutely zero difference in the tone compared to it being hand wired. The differences would come from different component values (like different pot or cap values) or whether or not the guitar has a treble bleed wired in or 50s style wiring.

What the circuit board will do is make it a pain in the butt to swap pickups. That's the real reason to do away with it.

MmcGrouty

That stuff is all total garbage. I ripped it all out, new pots, new jack, new switch, new wiring. It’s a much better guitar now.

Jordan63

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know. I'm pretty sure my 2016 SG Standard has QuickConnect in it (never opened it, just assumed) and I've never felt more like the rolling back of the volume knob has attentuated the high end sparkle my tone when cleaning up a drive tone than when I use this very guitar. Something sounds off. Its not as warm of a clean up. Seriously considering having old school pots and orange drops installed. Of course, I assume this means I need to replace the pickups to standard solder connect versions. More expense. I wish Gibson could have just done it right from the get go.
You don't need to replace the pickups, just remove the quick connects and solder as normal

GravityJim

The entire modern concept of "tone" - as if it were something that could be defined, idealized, quantified, and either gained or lost - is great for a laugh. But that's all.

There is absolutely no reason why a circuit board would sound different than exactly the same circuit made with wires. None. What you heard at the guitar store is BS.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
I get it if you think the tone is too dark, maybe 500k pots are warranted over 300k at that point, but really - what’s bad about PCB boards in a guitar?

Heck, people praise amp manufacturers like Bogner and Mesa here and the majority of those amps are all... PCB.

Seth L

Yes, I would love to hear why and how the boards hurt the sound of the guitar. I personally like 300k pots in my LP and SG.IF 300k pots hurt sound that bad Gibson wouldn't have and wouldn't be using them on current production. There's no cost different between 300k and 500k pots. My LP has orange drop caps on the board. I've only been an EE for 30 years and I cant figure it out. To me it helps keep cost down a bit with automated production, you don't have to worry about solder joints. It may make changing Pickups a bit harder.. but heck PRS changed the size of their pickups to hamper changes with other brands. There are some of the connectors needed on Ebay.
I don't subscribe to the 500k pots theory. I tried it and hated it. I went back to the values Gibson had in there. I'm not a big fan of 50's wiring either.

fitz

Uh, as a former electronic tech & EE, quick connectors will make no difference. Unless things have changed, the following still apply:
1) V=voltage
2) R= resistance
3) I = current

Also, the 300K vs 500K pots is debatable on the guitar. Some guitars are a bit smoother with 300K pots. My 58 RI is crazy bright with 500K & 50's wiring while my Midtown with the same pups is much rounder and sweeter sounding. IMO, this is all subjective with the exception of the quick connectors.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom