Those in the know about Two Rock Ruby, please share?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by voodoochile, Jul 8, 2018.

1. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

hi all. I recently sold a Two Rock Ruby, and the new owner has some questions...hoping for some new info from you guys that know about the Ruby folklore.

- I have heard that the Ruby was made from transformers acquired from Ken Fischer's Trainwreck projects, and that the Ruby was a non-production amp made by Two Rock and used the transformers... (and other parts?)
    - My amp did not have a serial number on it, but I was not surprised with it being a side project and a Two Rock non-production amp.
    - Rumor has it that some Ruby's were assembled by Two Rock, and some may have been sold to dealers and assembled by the dealer? Any details or info on this would be appreciated.
    - There was some variability in fit and feel between control pots. Any opinions?
    - Is there any way to determine the year of manufacture or sale? I contacted the person I bought it from, but have not heard back (it was 9 years ago, so email address is old).

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

2. doc

doc Member

I think I can be of service.

The Ruby was pretty much a straight up clone of a Fischer Trainwreck Express named Amanda Lynn, but with addition of a switchable master volume/effects loop using the extra gain stage left unused in a 'Wreck. The chassis in the Ruby was smaller than a 'Wreck. They apparently also used the codes on the transformers of Amanda Lynn to order 50 sets from Pacific identical to the ones Ken Fischer was using. They discontinued production after making a number of them, possibly after threat of legal action by Trainwreck. I don't remember the exact number, I think they made 36 total. Those amps were Two Rock amps in full production (briefly). Fischer apparently got to try one out at one point and felt that it didn't sound much like a real 'Wreck (as stated in Dave Hunter's book on amps). The remaining transformer sets, chassis and head shells they sold as "kits". If your amp had no serial number, it may have been one of the "kits" that someone else assembled. I got a chance to compare my Ruby head to head with Amanda Lynn, and have to agree that the 'Wreck sounded somewhat better IMHO, but I would say they were very similar amps, and in no way was the Ruby a "crappy" sounding amp. Since I got a chance to compare I've made some small adjustments to my amp and its now closer to what I remember the 'Wreck sounding like. There are a few tricks to adjusting a 'Wreck style amp that the Ruby can benefit from. One of the differences is the taper of the pots - so if you have the pots in the same positions (as I did when comparing mine to Amanda Lynn) its not really comparing at the same settings - the Ruby's gain comes on earlier in the travel of the pots. I don't remember the years these were in production, but if yours was a kit, hard to say. Mine is probably my favorite amp overall, but there are other amps that are better "all rounders" - the Ruby (and 'Wreck) are one trick ponies with a very good trick.

voodoochile likes this.
  3. doc

doc Member

Found another reference that states about 12 of the Rubies were lower output with wattage switchable from 12 to 18 watts. Those apparently use 2 EL84 tubes. That reference stated that about 30 of the 35 watters were made. I'd think they spec'd a different OPT for the switchable ones, so potentially there might be about 20 "kits" out there.

Hope that helps.

voodoochile likes this.
  4. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

Thank you so much, Doc, much appreciated.

5. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

I played a production one once long ago next to an Express (Ingrid), and it sounded quite good when dialed in, and very similar.
    The real Wreck's I've played have a feel that is hard to duplicate. That said, the Ruby was an excellent amp.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    voodoochile likes this.