• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Those playing with a tunomatic bridge...where are you rrsting your picking hand??

Russ73

I recently got a guitar with a tunimatic...on a trem I usually rest my palm on the trem but the tunomatic seems to stick up and inch...any tricks to smooth playing??

dewey decibel

It just gonna take a couple weeks to adjust. Truth is, I wish I didn't rest my hand at all and kept it floating, I think it's better overall technique. I've even tried to change it but it takes more discipline than I seem to have.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
I don't rest my hand on the bridge (my jazz teacher beat that habit out of me years ago). It's only there on the occasion that I need to palm-mute the strings.

RevDrucifer

Right on the edge of the post holding it in place. I don’t have a TOM specifically, but the same idea/setup. This was another thing Ibanez did extremely well and decided to abandon, the Gibraltar III.

just_one_more

Gold Supporting Member
If I am doing intricate single note stuff, I anchor my pinkie finger about 1/2" below the high e and a little on front of the tom. Other than that I only touch the bridge when muting.

Guitarworks

Do not like the Tuneomatic or ABR bridge whatsoever. Never have. The right angle corners on the saddles are so sharp it feels like I'm resting my hand on the points of 12 little thumbtacks gouging into the flesh of my right hand every time I play one. PRS's adjustable saddle wraparound was the answer for me. They did it right. The saddles don't poke and it's very comfortable.

cap10kirk

I only rest my hand on the bridge when palm muting, and sometimes on the strings behind the bridge when I'm picking really close to the bridge. But most of the time my picking hand isn't resting on the guitar at all, I change where I pick/strum way too much for that.

Gclef

I played strats for 2 decades before I got a guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge.

I really like them! 4 of my 9 have TOM bridges

My hand feels more natural on them.

As far as tips: you just have to put the time in. It becomes second nature

Tomi JR

I also don’t rest my hand on the bridge, unless doing some palm muting.

My problem back in the day was the opposite. I was so used to TOM-bridges and resting my hand on it, that when I picked a guitar with a trem or a Strat-style hardtail, I couldn’t even play the damn thing.

So I kicked the habit and learned not to rest my hand on the bridge. I really recommend doing the same.

Yamaha 350

I do not think about it much. I'm born with a birth defect anyways in my left hand. My fret hand so I play different than you would 2 percent.

sunking101

Do not like the Tuneomatic or ABR bridge whatsoever. Never have. The right angle corners on the saddles are so sharp it feels like I'm resting my hand on the points of 12 little thumbtacks gouging into the flesh of my right hand every time I play one. PRS's adjustable saddle wraparound was the answer for me. They did it right. The saddles don't poke and it's very comfortable.
The sharp saddle screws on a Fender are much worse IME.

fuzz guy

I never realized that people rest their hand while playing, that would feel so unnatural. I don't see how I could play properly doing that. Like others mentioned above, I only do it when muting. Most of my guitars are Gibson style with tuneomatics or wraptails.

korus

Original ABR-1 saddles were not only made of softer brass to define less metallic tone than modern ones have. Those original ABR-1 saddles also had ROUNDED EDGES and WIDE FLAT TOP.

It is common sense, really. There is no hard science involved. How stupid were and are those who 'improve(d)'... never mind. Profit is God. Of incompetence.

Trending Topics