Those that own the Wizard MC25...

bobbtoz

Silver Supporting Member
Are you guys still digging the MC25? You don't see them come up for sale very often, that probably says a lot right there! I'm contemplating a new purchase but the price tag is a bit steep. I had a 50 watt MTL- loved the open raw tone, but the lower mids were not for me. The master volume was fantastic which is important to me. Currently have a incredible 50 watt 2204 modded by Cameron and a older 2554 Jubilee from 1987. Both sound great from low volume and obviously better in a band format. I'm craving that open, raw uncompressed Wizard tone. I've searched previous threads so looking for some updated feedback both positive and negative. Lets hear what you have to say...

bobbtoz

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone had a MC 25 and move on from it for a particular reason? Any situations where it did not keep up in a band situation? For those that have the MC 25 and MC 50 or 100 what are notable differences?
I know there aren't a lot of these out there and any opportunity for me to try one is probably very slim. Any input would be cool.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
The MC25 is only $1000 less than the MCII 100W. If you're willing to spend nearly $4K for a 25W amp, safe to assume you're not hurting for the money and can afford another $1K. In that case, I don't see a particularly compelling reason to get the 25. Sure, the 100W sounds better/superlative at volume, but even at loudish TV volumes it sounds great. Frankly, it also sounds great at whisper volumes - although there's a bit of a hitch between whisper and loud TV volume where it sounds weird (but then again so do all other gainy amps - SLOs, IIC+s, etc.).

Edit - Not sure what you expect to hear about the 25 compared the 50/100 that hasn't been discussed before specifically to the Wizard or comparable amps in general. The tubes are different and the transformers are different. 100W sounds biggest/most forceful, then the 50, then the 25. Does the 25 sound exactly like the 50/100 in terms of gain structure, no. It uses 6V6s, so it'll be different. Close? I guess, but only you can tell if its close enough. Is the 25W loud? Yes, certainly loud enough to keep up with a drummer, but who knows, you might play a style that demands more headroom.

Nobody is going to say the MC25 sounds better than the 50 or 100W because it doesn't. It's an inherent compromise, the point of which I don't see given the aforementioned price gap.

Last edited:

bobbtoz

Silver Supporting Member
The MC25 is only $1000 less than the MCII 100W. If you're willing to spend nearly $4K for a 25W amp, safe to assume you're not hurting for the money and can afford another $1K. In that case, I don't see a particularly compelling reason to get the 25. Sure, the 100W sounds better/superlative at volume, but even at loudish TV volumes it sounds great. Frankly, it also sounds great at whisper volumes - although there's a bit of a hitch between whisper and loud TV volume where it sounds weird (but then again so do all other gainy amps - SLOs, IIC+s, etc.).

I hear what you're saying w/ the price difference between the 25 and the 100. My thought is typically the differences I hear between say a 50 and a 100 watt amp is usually more ass end thump. My 50 watt Wizard MTL sounded huge compared to me Freidman BE, actually to huge especially in lower mids. I'm thinking the MC25 would sit exactly where I need it too in the mix, thus saving me some cost between MC25 and MC100. I'm still not sold on $4K for a 25 watt amp! I don't live in that financial bracket, but we want what we want...Only considering it because I haven't seen one come up used in over 1yr!

Appreciate the replies. Thanks

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
I hear what you're saying w/ the price difference between the 25 and the 100. My thought is typically the differences I hear between say a 50 and a 100 watt amp is usually more ass end thump. My 50 watt Wizard MTL sounded huge compared to me Freidman BE, actually to huge especially in lower mids. I'm thinking the MC25 would sit exactly where I need it too in the mix, thus saving me some cost between MC25 and MC100. I'm still not sold on $4K for a 25 watt amp! I don't live in that financial bracket, but we want what we want...Only considering it because I haven't seen one come up used in over 1yr!

Appreciate the replies. Thanks

Yeah, I think that's a MTL thing. It certainly has its own vibe going (especially in the low mids), and its very cool. The MCII sits higher in the mids, so it has a different and more familiar vibe. So I think the MC is more in line with what you're wanting. Plus the MCII 50 or 100 would be easier to find used, so thereby conceptually cheaper.

What I think I'm saying, in a roundabout way, is that the 100W is the perfect operation of the Wizard ethos. Articulate note definition, with heavy note weight. I think the 25/50 compromise this, which then defeats the purpose of getting a Wizard (or at least what sets it apart from other amps). Oddly, rather than being the Mesa Coliseum version of the MC, the 150W also gets it wrong. Way too dark....

Good luck!

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
Good points @MichiganEsquire, but we're still free to wonder so long as no MC25 owners (or even MC25 clone owners) chime in.

One consideration is there may be a certain speaker that one prefers (or speaker cabinet arrangement, such as avoiding carrying around a 4x12), which a 100w or even 50w amp would be incompatible with.

I certainly understand. That being said, Unless you're absolutely cranking a 100W MC, Alnico Creams in a 2x12 work extremely well and to me are preferable than greenbacks. You could even (reasonably) run a single Redback in 1x12. But I get what you're saying.

Good luck!

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
That's good to know about the Alnico Creams; I only use Celestion Alnico's given a choice, and it was the Ruby in particular I had in mind.

I'm not very familiar with Wizard in general; do they make any channel switching (foot switch) models?

The MCII and MTLs are channel switching (can also engage the loop, etc. via footswitch).

Wouldn't recommend the Ruby's in all honesty, at least for the 100W. The wattage rating is too low, with even the 50W being potentially problematic.

rockin robbie

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Wizard MC25. This amp is incredible. the 25 watts are louder than my 50 watt bogner Helios. I play ina fairly loud rock band doing the 70s and 80s., and I have not been able to push it past 3. The only amp that I have found that competes with my Wizard is my Morris amp that can sound like a Wizard plus many other ampflavors.

bobbtoz

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Wizard MC25. This amp is incredible. the 25 watts are louder than my 50 watt bogner Helios. I play ina fairly loud rock band doing the 70s and 80s., and I have not been able to push it past 3. The only amp that I have found that competes with my Wizard is my Morris amp that can sound like a Wizard plus many other ampflavors.

I've read some glowing reviews for Morris amps. Probably should educate myself on them a bit.

MichiganEsquire

Silver Supporting Member
Still have mine.....and MC50, and MC100 II.

Personally, I love the extra muscle of the 50W & 100W builds more. But they all sound great to me and have their own thing happening, but still have that unmistakable "Wizardness" to them.

I haven't turned the MC25 on in 7mo, but for me, all the Wizards here will probably stay. They (along with a group of others in the amp collection) are those "long search for the sound in my head" type amps.

O96EYWl.jpg

I was extremely fortunate when I went shopping for an MC25. I posted WTB ad's in all the places I thought would get responses and NADA!......Finally, I made a random call in 2019 to Vintage King in MI after seeing a Lance Keltner YT vid. I absolutely could not believe they had one! $2,900 shipped to my door! I didn't care if it was used or new, and didn't ask.

K6gBw7L.jpg

I love Wizards, and the threads on them when they come up. The Wizard threads and comments seem to irritate some people here (although I believe me posting almost anything here annoys/irritates someone).

And when I do, (and not just the MC25) the listings usually don't have much info, and the sellers are asking for nearly new price. I finally just ordered a new build last year for the MCII 100. At least I have a better idea what I'm getting.

$2900 is a solid price!

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
Nice rigs.

Is that a 10th Anniversary top left?

Got rid of all my TR's a couple of years ago....would still love to find a 10th Anniversary for the "right" price though.

Sorry for altering the context of the thread.

I'll shut up before I get banned for derailing the thread.

That is all.

Nah thats a Krinard three channel custom one off! High gainer in third channel. Ferocious beast of an amp.

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
Which Morris?

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
I am curious about that too. Had a Morris and My Helios 100 ate it for lunch. Mine was a Perplexed S2. Good sounding amp! Glen builds good stuff.

Top Bottom