Those who like Barber Direct Drive, what other OD/Distortions do you like?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by still.ill, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Ps28

Ps28 Member

I like the Blackout Effectors Mantra with low gain mod. Live in the low gain section. It will sing on command with a Les Paul.

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Gain changer has been my favorite for a while. I also really like the new OCD GE but I have always liked the Zen Drive, Timmy, AM sun face NKT HG. I’m not really a high gain user though and generally set things pretty mild gain wise. The La Grange was pretty useful too.

DesertSand56 likes this.
  3. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Gain Changer didn’t work for me unfortunately, but the CDD is the best overdrive I’ve ever used. I also really the Suhr Eclipse, Honeybee, Providence Stampede, Archer and Royal Blue Overdrive.

voodoochili12 likes this.
  4. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I have the big box DD and use it a lot. I also have the DD V3 compact that I use to get more into Marshall territory. Both are great sounding pedals.

5. mikendzel

mikendzel Member

I have the original Direct Drive, and I paired it with a Menatone Red Snapper for years. I've swapped a lot of pedals in and out over the last 2 years, and right now I have a Fulltone Plimsoul and H&K Tube Factor on the board. Also dug the Menatone King of the Britains, Wampler PLexidrive Deluxe, and the Keeley D&M Drive

6. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

Barber Gain Changer
    Barber BUSS
    Analogman King of Tone and Prince of Tone

I've tried most of the prior versions of the Barber pedals: LTD SR, Custom Cool, Small Fry, Barber Direct Drive LG, unLimiTeD all of which I loved but faves were the LTD SR and DD LG

I've owned other pedals outside of the ones above, but wasn't of fan of them. Those include:

Fulltone OCD v4
    Boss DS1
    Catalinbread Formula 5F6
    Bearfoot SYOD 1

Just about every time I ventured outside of Barber I didn't like the pedal as much as my Barber pedals. I will also say that the KOT/POT and GC/LTD SR were all pretty similar to my ear. At one point I ended up keeping the GC over a POT because it had more options (a good higher gain mode, and more midrange options), and later kept a KOT over the GC because I didn't need the higher gain options and having 2 pedals in one was just better for what I needed at the time.

At this point the only one I own is the Compact Direct Drive v3 (had v2 and replaced it with v3).

7. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Tried dozens of OD's and the Direct Drive Compact is the only one I want.

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Those using the Gain Changer and/or Direct Drive...do both work and sound good with a Strat? Or might these be better for humbuckers? Or it doesn't matter :)

9. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I don't play a Strat, but I think the GC and Direct Drive work great with single coils and humbuckers (I use both types). The GC might give you a little more flexibility with the different EQ settings as you switch between pickup types, but the harmonics switch on the CDDs can be similarly helpful in that regard.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  10. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

IMO both sound good with a Strat, but which works better is more dependent on how you're getting your drive. Both work well into clean or broken up amps, but to me the Direct Drive sounds better into a clean amp and the Gain Changer into a broken up amp. Probably depends on the amp itself too (more mids in the amp use a Gain Changer, more scooped use a Direct Drive).

pickaguitar and ThinPaperWings like this.
  11. Somanytoys

Somanytoys Member

That's pretty interesting. Can the GC's go up to 12 volts? If so, I'll have to try that. I use a GC on each board (LTD side), with a BUSS (but the BU side) on one and a Zenkudo (Dumble mode) on the other. the LTD sound in one amp with the Dumble sound in the other is pretty 3D.

With everyone talking about the differences between the GC and the DD (and the BUSS, really), I assume that you're talking about the higher gain sides, the SS. But I thought that except for the eq voicings, they were all pretty much the same. Is there a difference in the voicings of each one beyond the eq switches?

Since the intent was other non-Barber pedals, here are some that I have and use, that may or may not be at all similar (sticking mostly with ODs but some may be distortions and hybrids):

Zenkudo
    GTC Bloody Fingers
    VFE Pale Horse & Triiumvirate (and Merman, if a klone counts)
    Mad Professor Golden Cello & Amber
    Throback OD/B
    modded BD-2s
    modded TS-9

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  12. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

GC, BUSS, DD can all go up to 24vdc, I've run them at their max at 30vdc without a failure, but you need a power supply that's dead on for that, because 30vdc is the max on that chip, but you could always pop a OPA2604 op-amp in and go for it.

Just remember negative tip.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  13. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

I think they're all different circuits:

GC = Big Box LTD + Big Box unLTD - internal trimpots. American(ish) style breakup.
    DD = Big Box DD + Big Box DD Low Gain - internal trimpots. Direct Drive is classic (pre-80s?) Marshall-ey.
    BUSS = Big Box Burn Unit + Big Box Super Sport - internal trimpots. Super Sport is hot-rodded Marshall-ey.

Someone correct me if I got these wrong.

14. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

I really love my LTD V1
    Harlot
    Page
    BJFE Honey Bee
    BJFE Model G
    Klon
    Zen Drive Tube

There are so many great pedals but that’s off the top