Those who like Barber Direct Drive, what other OD/Distortions do you like?

Boogie92801

Gain changer has been my favorite for a while. I also really like the new OCD GE but I have always liked the Zen Drive, Timmy, AM sun face NKT HG. I’m not really a high gain user though and generally set things pretty mild gain wise. The La Grange was pretty useful too.

Muzzy

Supporting Member
I have the big box DD and use it a lot. I also have the DD V3 compact that I use to get more into Marshall territory. Both are great sounding pedals.

mikendzel

I have the original Direct Drive, and I paired it with a Menatone Red Snapper for years. I've swapped a lot of pedals in and out over the last 2 years, and right now I have a Fulltone Plimsoul and H&K Tube Factor on the board. Also dug the Menatone King of the Britains, Wampler PLexidrive Deluxe, and the Keeley D&M Drive

vibrostrat43

Barber Gain Changer
Barber BUSS
Analogman King of Tone and Prince of Tone

I've tried most of the prior versions of the Barber pedals: LTD SR, Custom Cool, Small Fry, Barber Direct Drive LG, unLimiTeD all of which I loved but faves were the LTD SR and DD LG

I've owned other pedals outside of the ones above, but wasn't of fan of them. Those include:

Fulltone OCD v4
Boss DS1
Catalinbread Formula 5F6
Bearfoot SYOD 1

Just about every time I ventured outside of Barber I didn't like the pedal as much as my Barber pedals. I will also say that the KOT/POT and GC/LTD SR were all pretty similar to my ear. At one point I ended up keeping the GC over a POT because it had more options (a good higher gain mode, and more midrange options), and later kept a KOT over the GC because I didn't need the higher gain options and having 2 pedals in one was just better for what I needed at the time.

At this point the only one I own is the Compact Direct Drive v3 (had v2 and replaced it with v3).

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
Those using the Gain Changer and/or Direct Drive...do both work and sound good with a Strat? Or might these be better for humbuckers? Or it doesn't matter :)

Those using the Gain Changer and/or Direct Drive...do both work and sound good with a Strat? Or might these be better for humbuckers? Or it doesn't matter :)
I don't play a Strat, but I think the GC and Direct Drive work great with single coils and humbuckers (I use both types). The GC might give you a little more flexibility with the different EQ settings as you switch between pickup types, but the harmonics switch on the CDDs can be similarly helpful in that regard.

Last edited:

vibrostrat43

IMO both sound good with a Strat, but which works better is more dependent on how you're getting your drive. Both work well into clean or broken up amps, but to me the Direct Drive sounds better into a clean amp and the Gain Changer into a broken up amp. Probably depends on the amp itself too (more mids in the amp use a Gain Changer, more scooped use a Direct Drive).

Somanytoys

Currently have a CDD v2 (green, used in low gain) and a GC on my small board. I also have a CDD v3 waiting in the wings and use a BUSS and 2nd Gain Changer at 12V on my main board. (I use mainly the Super Sport side of the BUSS and low gain on the GC.)

Other favorite drives are the Bogner Wessex and Burnley (GREAT feel but as is often attested, dark sounding and not voiced for all amps) and the Wampler Catapulp.
That's pretty interesting. Can the GC's go up to 12 volts? If so, I'll have to try that. I use a GC on each board (LTD side), with a BUSS (but the BU side) on one and a Zenkudo (Dumble mode) on the other. the LTD sound in one amp with the Dumble sound in the other is pretty 3D.

With everyone talking about the differences between the GC and the DD (and the BUSS, really), I assume that you're talking about the higher gain sides, the SS. But I thought that except for the eq voicings, they were all pretty much the same. Is there a difference in the voicings of each one beyond the eq switches?

Since the intent was other non-Barber pedals, here are some that I have and use, that may or may not be at all similar (sticking mostly with ODs but some may be distortions and hybrids):

Zenkudo
GTC Bloody Fingers
VFE Pale Horse & Triiumvirate (and Merman, if a klone counts)
Mad Professor Golden Cello & Amber
Throback OD/B
modded BD-2s
modded TS-9

David B

Silver Supporting Member
That's pretty interesting. Can the GC's go up to 12 volts? If so, I'll have to try that.
GC, BUSS, DD can all go up to 24vdc, I've run them at their max at 30vdc without a failure, but you need a power supply that's dead on for that, because 30vdc is the max on that chip, but you could always pop a OPA2604 op-amp in and go for it.

Just remember negative tip.

With everyone talking about the differences between the GC and the DD (and the BUSS, really), I assume that you're talking about the higher gain sides, the SS. But I thought that except for the eq voicings, they were all pretty much the same. Is there a difference in the voicings of each one beyond the eq switches?
I think they're all different circuits:

GC = Big Box LTD + Big Box unLTD - internal trimpots. American(ish) style breakup.
DD = Big Box DD + Big Box DD Low Gain - internal trimpots. Direct Drive is classic (pre-80s?) Marshall-ey.
BUSS = Big Box Burn Unit + Big Box Super Sport - internal trimpots. Super Sport is hot-rodded Marshall-ey.

Someone correct me if I got these wrong.

Strumlord

I really love my LTD V1
Harlot
Page
BJFE Honey Bee
BJFE Model G
Klon
Zen Drive Tube

There are so many great pedals but that’s off the top

megatrav

Supporting Member
Personally I could not get along with the Gain Changer at all. Sounded very fizzy and not amp-like to me.

The Direct Drive, however, is undefeated in my long search for the perfect overdrive. It is simply awesome. It has a way of sort of gluing together my tone, no matter where it is stacked in the chain.

I've gone through a handful of the most sought after, expensive, flavor-of-the-month pedals over the past year in my quest for the perfect dual overdrive (I won't name names because what doesn't work for me obv could work great for someone else), and none of them can unseat the DD as my favorite od.
Sorry to resurrect old thread.. what amp are you using and are you still using the Direct Drive?

megatrav

Supporting Member
Currently have a CDD v2 (green, used in low gain) and a GC on my small board. I also have a CDD v3 waiting in the wings and use a BUSS and 2nd Gain Changer at 12V on my main board. (I use mainly the Super Sport side of the BUSS and low gain on the GC.)

Other favorite drives are the Bogner Wessex and Burnley (GREAT feel but as is often attested, dark sounding and not voiced for all amps) and the Wampler Catapulp.
Sorry for also quoting you on an old thread..

How do you like the Wampler Catapulp and Bogner Wessex? How different in character are these pedals and the Barber stuff?

Strumlord

I didn’t like DD until Dave release V4

It sounds more open, less dark and mid scooped.
Not sure if they’re even available now.

Kevsonic

Supporting Member
My DD (w/PCB mod) is a favorite of mine, and general speaking anything that compliments it is fair game. Running it into a klone is heaven. Running any flatter-EQ overdrive or boost is gold.

My amp is a '73 Twin, my guitar a MIM Nashville Tele w/ DiMarzio Area Ts and a treble bleed. Hearing it in this setup makes me want to keep nudging the volume up little by little...

CarlGuitarist

Gain Changer didn’t work for me unfortunately, but the CDD is the best overdrive I’ve ever used. I also really the Suhr Eclipse, Honeybee, Providence Stampede, Archer and Royal Blue Overdrive.
Funny reading this now. The Gain Changer is now practically glued to my board. I could easily gig with just that and a boost.

RJLII

I have a Direct Drive and an LTD. Both are parked right now in favor of a Timmy and an Xotic AC Booster. It's not that they sound bad, it's just that my head is in a different place for awhile.

Sorry for also quoting you on an old thread..

How do you like the Wampler Catapulp and Bogner Wessex? How different in character are these pedals and the Barber stuff?
I like them quite a bit.

The Wampler Catapulp does a good job of having the OD/distortion flavor with the low-mid emphasis Oranges tend toward. (I have an Orange Rocker 15 amp). It has the amp-in-a-box thing of a pretty wide gain range and taking boosts well, especially with the gain low.

The Wessex is my low gain chime-y drive pedal that I use with neck and middle pickups. It's touch-sensitive and relatively smooth (not TS smooth) with a nice top end.

The Barbers to me have a sort of compression which, while not eliminating touch sensitivity, makes them a bit more even-sounding. They sit nicely in a mix and do not need much help (nor do they particularly benefit) from additional EQ or boosting. The break-up characters are different, slightly less raw.

Trending Topics