Thought: Did YouTube/Social Media Ruin Good Music?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Ren007, May 19, 2019.

1. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    You are correct.

2. Grun

Grun Member

I thought it was the MTV that ruined the music..

3. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

If anything it’s led me to more really great music. Especially when you can listen to just about everything before you buy. Remember going to the store, flipping through bins and picking something from a band you know, a band someone suggested, or a good album cover?? Now you can see everything a band you like has ever done, get everyone in the world’s suggestions re ordered to best match things you already like, and see every album cover AND listen to any of it to see if you like it.

It’s one of the only things I think the internet excels at.

AltecGreen likes this.
  4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Hardly. Pretty much every song known to man is at our keystrokes. It's never been easier to listen to music.

uab9253 likes this.
  5. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

Rock, Classic Rock and Metal - or any of their sub-genres - are not the be-all and end-all of "good music". Much as I like a lot of guitar centric music, I'd get bored to death if that was all I had to listen to. There are at least 3 centuries worth of Western music in all kinds of categories, genres and types.

As for new stuff that I enjoy, it's out there and I keep finding it. Never gave a tin **** about what's on the radio or telly, and apart from the brief times in the past when something I liked became popular, I never listen to or watch either.

AltecGreen likes this.
  6. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Once more I will post this, which was a major hit in many places in 1970. The single sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. Versions released before and after it also charted in the period in some markets. Yeah, the "good old days" were so wonderful

If you asked the typical 50 year old in 1970 what they thought of music they would have said something that sounds a lot like many posters in these kind of threads do. Probably you could find at least one poster state that no one would remember that Joni Mitchell girl 20 years later like they would Doris Day or Judy Garland.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    MGT likes this.
  7. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I'm listening to Mystic Sons on Stoned Meadow's youtube channel right now! Dude has some great stuff on there... it's been my 'go to' for new music for the last few months.

8. Bennihana

Bennihana Member

@paranoid70

Ive found at least 20 new bands to listen to in the past year alone. Been playing Mote and Ordos on repeat lately. If you like some of the fairly more textured stuff, I'd be happy for some feedback on my stuff too.

paranoid70 likes this.
  9. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

Of course! In 1965, a James Michener novel (The Source) topped the best-selling list. But also Saul Bellow's, Herzog. I don't think there's any collective poll, or marketing statistics pulled from an entire country (or the globe!) that's not laden with flavor-of-the-day pap. That's just...humanity. But at times: great art, or rock and popular music, in this case, is celebrated greatly.

Cherry pick 10 artists from the Billboard's Top 100 in, say 1970.
    Simon and Garfunkel
    Temptations
    Stevie Wonder
    Beatles
    CCR
    The Hollies
    Santana
    BB King
    CSNY
    Aretha Franklin

Now take, 2010: I don't even know who to pick. Ke$ha? Pitbull? Flo Rida featuring David Guetta?

10. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

But the point is would someone who was 65 in 1970 have a similar opinion of all those artists as you have of Pitbull?

MGT and A-Bone like this.
  11. Madsen

Madsen Member

I think there has always been crap to weed thru in order to get to the good stuff & occasionally a truly great act or scene breaks thru into "mainstream culture". With social media there's just more to weed thru. There's also an easier method to share & discover the good stuff, so it's a trade off IMO.

12. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

Maybe? Maybe not? We're not talking a Benny Goodman -> Elvis Presley cultural shift, here....Or the Four Aces vs. Megadeth.

We've got 50-60 years of sort of the same thing going on, so that will cross two, three?, generations. It's not that I don't like Pittbull because I'm 53 and offended by his lyrics and rap-lite. It's that I was around with NWA, etc...

edit to add: in terms of the original question, I have no idea. It's good for us, as consumers to have an amazing library of music, free, if you're willing to wait 15 sec for an ad, at our finger tips....Is it healthy for musicians? I don't really see how -- I mean, "look: it's great how you can promote yourself!," but...now you have to promote yourself. And there's the "free" part. As an old guy I'm shocked -- oh here's Landau's complete album. Just rip it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  13. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Now you can’t find an original video of a song without having to wade through 200 videos of different broads playing the song on a ukulele

:facepalm

boo radley and pickaguitar like this.
  14. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

It has suffered immensely over time! :)

Now we have noteless wonders like Drake who drone on and on

15. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I think newer means of communication only facilitate what's already liked rather than, in and of itself, influence it.

The internet though can't really replicate a club experience, you can't make it rain on a messageboard or pop bottles of cristal. You're gonna want to buy a sclade and get the latest mumble rap mp3s. People will spend on that.

Whereas rock music doesn't have that life experience attached to it anymore. New bands aren't marketed well and I think rock fans have most of the songs they want in their collection already. I listen as I commute to work and back but now the rock competes with smooth jazz which calms my nerves from the stresses of the day.

U2 tried to force feed me a record a few years ago and I was like, ewwww, go away. It was a knee jerk reaction cause I am old too. U2 get your ball off may property! Nuisances.

But "good" music or "good" art is totally subjective.

16. mikebat

mikebat Member

What ruined music is the people who work in the music selling industry. They were stupid fat cats resting on their laurels, thinking it was going to be 1985 forever.

They were warned that clients wanted to move away from purchasing full LP's, but they lacked the vision and ambition to come up with a solution, so, someone did it for them, Napster and file sharing. By then the train had already left the station, and the labels still could not figure it out.

The rest is history.

The movie industry has been a lot more successful in protecting their revenue streams, and developing new ones.

As much as it is sport to make fun of Hollywood and how "pie in the sky" they are....they seemed to at least partially address technology successfully. What has the music industry done, working backwards? They now buy into the streaming sites and manage to cut their own artists out of the game.

What's left? You don't sell your music, you use it as a tool to sell something else, eyeballs, product etc. That is why it is a fool's game for an emerging artist to spend a lot of money recording a project where you will need to give the product away for free, just make it passable, and prepare to make your money elsewhere

pickaguitar likes this.
  17. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Point of reference is always good too. I would agree that American Hip-hop could be stagnating like Rock music did after the 90s but that’s because the English speaking countries have heard it ad-nasium.

Where Rock music kind of died, because it was the voice of the Boomer generation, there weren’t many outside of the first world countries that picked up the Rock mantle. It carried on for a while but seems to be fizzling out.

Hip-hop on the other hand has spread voraciously through other developing countries as the ‘voice’ against the establishment (governments, corporations, the Man). That is what made Rock the voice of a generation but now that generation is very much the Man.

18. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

More like it put bad music on life support.

19. markmann

markmann Member

I try to be open minded but hunting for quality music today is exhausting. Think about years past, from classical to big band to jazz and blues. In the 50's through 70's... rock, blues, country, jazz, funk, etc. LOTS to choose from and plentiful. Did musicians run out of great original musical ideas or is there no market for it? I think it's the latter.

20. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

No, Apple offered it to you. Did Justin Timberlake force feed you his music when NBC last paid him to perform at the Super Bowl? Exact same thing....

FACT! The TV show "The Office" was going to be dropped very early in it's first season. Two fairly obscure people working for NBC and Apple knew each other and the idea of putting a free episode of on the latest iPod came up. The deal gets thrown together quickly and no money was exchanged. People who bought the iPod watched the "force fed" episode and then ratings shot up the next week. And it wasn't just anyone watching the show, it was the coveted teen and young adult demographic. Boom, the show gets a lifeline, then a better time slot, and ultimately becomes one of the most successful shows in history. No free sample on your iPod and "The Office" gets dropped halfway through season 1.

chandra likes this.