1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts and opinions: TC Electronic VPD1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rsm, May 22, 2011.

1. rsm

rsm Member

Anyone use / try the VPD1? How about using it direct? Thoughts?

Pricey bugger, but if it sounds good in front of an amp and direct, could be worth it.

2. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

I tried my board without it for a while, as soon as I put it back on, my sound came alive - great spkr sim. The OD is very smooth, but by no means light - though you could dial it back. Absolutely a must for my direct board. I also run it through a Twin, just switch off the sim. and it sounds great. I use a Tech 21 Blonde on my other board and I really like the OD tones on it, I just like the spkr sim. on the VPD1 a little better. Highly reccomend the VPD1, and the boost is great. I like that I can step on just the OD or boost separately or both the OD and boost at the same time. Comes in very handy.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

^^^I agree

As for the price, you can get one for @ $150 on ebay, I have seen a couple for sale recently.

I actually stack it after my Blackstone overdrive, or I will stack it w/ a distortion after the VPD1. I have also used it for my acoustic setup when I am playing strictly acoustic.

4. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Mine sold a few weeks ago in excellent (almost near mint) condition for about $150; a little depressing since they are about $300 new.
    I thought it sounded good, not great. The 'top boost' setting was WAY to midrangey (cocked-wah) for me. I don't run anything direct, so the speaker sim wasn't a factor.
    Overall, it just wasn't enough to bump anything else off my board, so I let it go.

5. rsm

rsm Member

Thank you for the info!

I have a Liverpool or a Vox Tonelab table top that I keep swapping on my direct big board project. Right now the Liverpool is winning...but that changes regularly...

As a big TC Electronic (for guitar and bass) user I can't believe I missed the VPD1. :eek:

I read a review that said it can provide a Brian May Vox tone (not my target) and a decent Vox top boost, can you get decent cleans / edge of breakup with it? What flavor tonestack are you hearing / getting from it: Vox, Fender, or....?

6. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I've never tried to emulate the Brian May sound, but yes I think it could get close to it. The is not a transparent boost, but very versatile tonally. The boost side is not independent of the drive side, but you can certainly shape the boost independent of the drive. The boost has a mini toggle to give you a top and mid-boost option to go w/ a flat response, there is also a small pot for adjusting the bass level for the boost.

On the drive side, there is a volume and a gain pot, and a small pot for adjusting the tone for both drive and boost. The boost is placed before the drive, which allows you to really push the gain more rather than just an increase in the volume level. So depending on how you set up the drive relevant to the boost, you should be able to get really close to the Brian May tone.

7. 10strings

10strings Member

I was absolutely amazed at how awesome this pedal is direct!! Just wow... Holy cow!! I never imagined it to sound this good and cleans right up with the guitar's volume knob, from clean to low gain, med gain, and singing distortion leads!!! Never giging without one!!! :omg

8. 10strings

10strings Member

Any good stacker's with the VPD1? I am thinking about an Atomic Overdrive...