Thoughts on 2013 Gibsons?

Brian N

I remember reading that certain years weren't the best for Gibsons...I'm look at one from 2013. Are those any good, or do I need to watch out for anything on them?

Also, the guitar happens to have a min etune system...is there anything wrong with that system?

Jason_77

I have one and they're VERY good guitars. I think everyone that has one says the same. I didn't think they every came stock with the min-e-tune. Maybe someone else who knows for sure will chime in.

Go on a case by case basis, and examine each guitar for what it is, regardless of year. In terms of specs though, 2013 was a good year. I have a 2013 LP and the guitar kills. The setup and playability is absolutely fantastic. Fit and finish isn't flawless, but it's not often flawless on most Gibsons.

Tim Plains

Legend has it...:rotflmao

2013 was a good year as far as historic guitars and LP Traditionals specifications go but that doesn't mean every guitar achieves legendary status.

If you walk away with anything from this thread, it should be this: Each Gibson should be played and assessed. Forget what year it was built.

Brian N

Legend has it...:rotflmao

2013 was a good year as far as historic guitars and LP Traditionals specifications go but that doesn't mean every guitar achieves legendary status.

If you walk away with anything from this thread, it should be this: Each Gibson should be played and assessed. Forget what year it was built.
Indeed, I was looking at a guitar online though. In person of course I wouldn't care about what year it was made.

Guitattorney

I have a 2013, and it's a great instrument, but I had to send back another 2013 for pretty bad finishing issues. So like everyone says, it depends on the guitar. If you're dealing with an online seller who doesn't accept returns, you're playing with fire.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
According to TGP 2013 was one of the few years Gibson didn't completely blow. This is actually high praise.

Last edited:

Totally Bored

The etune works really well IMO. I have one on a acoustic that is never coming off. I do at least 10 or more different tunings at my acoustic gigs.

The thing is that if you don't use multiple tunings then you'll get bored with it real quick. I had one a Strat for a while and really liked it but we tuned 1/2 step down and stayed there pretty much all night with the exception of the occasional Drop D and Open G song. Swapping it out for regular tuners is easy.

lemonpaul59

I remember reading that certain years weren't the best for Gibsons...I'm look at one from 2013. Are those any good, or do I need to watch out for anything on them?

Also, the guitar happens to have a min etune system...is there anything wrong with that system?
2012 was the year of the laminated fretboards.

2012 was the year of the laminated fretboards.
2013's have them as well. Members over at the MLP forum have confirmed this physically by knocking their nuts off (pun possibly intended) and verifying the multipiece fretboard visually.

Furthermore, one member in particular contacted Gibson about 3 guitars he had, and was told by Gibson that none of them had laminated fretboards. He confirmed that Gibson was wrong on all 3 and had posted pictures a while back to back it up.

That being said, I have a 2013 and i'm totally fine with it having a laminated fretboard, if it does. They're said to be stronger and make the neck less susceptible to warping or changes due to weather. The issue though, is with people that bought guitars that were described as having one piece fretboard, when in fact they didn't. That, as I take it, is why most people are fired up about that topic.

Telechamp

I've got two 2013 Gibsons (an Alpine White Les Paul Studio, and an Ebony SG Standard), and they are both great guitars. Really happy with both of them..

However, I did pick this particular 2013 LP over four others just like it - and this one was definitely the best of the bunch - by far. So, there are some 2013 Gibsons out there that are better than others..

As far as the 2013 SG Standard is concerned, within 5 minutes I knew it was going home with me... What a great axe....

tele1951

Gold Supporting Member
I have a '13 R8 that has caused me to rarely play my other guitars for almost 2 years.

What I believe is important about the '13s and later is the change of specs: Custombuckers pickups, Hide Glue neck joint construction and to a lesser degree,the truss rod change.

Individual guitars may vary in fit and finish from guitar to guitar but these specs and construction method changes give the newer Gibson Historics a definite leg up versus older models,IMHO.

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
The Signature T's (only made in 2013) and the 2013 Traditionals, by most accounts here and over at the LP-related forums, got heaps of praise sonically and visually.

There are links to the entire 2013 line over on the Gibson site if you want to nose around for some visuals and dig into the specs. Of course, unfortunately some folk got a few lemons, but for the most part it seemed like a very good year from top to bottom for most models.

I think everyone's biggest gripe about the Sig T was the 'T' truss rod cover, though I left mine on, and instead added nickel covers over the exposed humbuckers. I don't have one with a Min-E-Tune system, so I can't comment.

Trending Topics