Thoughts on '68 Custom DR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

As a cool gigging amp, pedal platform but nice to play at home moderate volume totally clean and with breakup. This seems pretty close to the Tonemaster DR I had (minus the DI options but plus the tube feel and tone).
    Thoughts? The below seems interesting:

The '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb Amp pays tribute to the classic look, sound and performance of Fender's late-'60s "silverface" amps. In a special twist, both channels boast reverb and tremolo, and the "custom" channel has a modified Bassman tone stack that gives modern players greater tonal flexibility with pedals. The amp also features quicker gain onset and reduced negative feedback for greater touch sensitivity. The '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb's single 12" Celestion G12V-70 speaker also delivers a more distinctively rock ˜n' roll flavor.

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

Very happy with mine. Great tones that are easily found, no clipping of a bright cap required to be pedal friendly, and the Reverb and trem work on both channels.

There’s a very slightly higher noise floor due to the “mods” that come stock on the amp, but it isn’t an issue for most owners.

I did an audition with mine a while back. It went well, just an HSS strat style guitar, a few pedals, and the amp. I think I only used an OD on a couple tunes. I got offered the gig, and one of the first things they told me was how much they liked my sound. They said i “had a great tone” - their words, not mine.

Gasp100 likes this.
  3. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I think mine is pretty killer. My Super Reverb is still my favorite amp ever, but I gig the '68 DR more often.

My only complaint is that the 'verb isn't as nice as any blackface I've ever played.

Question for the rest of you out there...

Why is the 'verb lacking? Reverb tank? Would a replacement tank make it better?

4. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Wish I hadn't sold mine but they're relatively cheap and easy to find used. Great sound.

The noise floor was definitely one reason I let it go. No issue with a band but noticeable at home.

e??? and flume like this.
  5. woof*

woof* Member

I doubt you will have any luck with another modern tank. When my tank died in my 66 Super Reverb I tried three modern ones, acutronics, Mod etc.
    They all were harsh and came on way too fast and strong.
    I located a 67 tank and my amp returned to glorious normal.
    Unless you pay the price for a vintage tank you can try different Reverb tubes and may get it a little better.
    Good luck

Rossi163, HotBluePlates and BobbyRay like this.
  6. DV52

DV52 Member

Very good sounding amp . I keep threatening to get one.

Hefalump and BobbyRay like this.
  7. Pizzaking

Pizzaking Member

I bought one when they first came out and just recently sold mine. It’s a good sounding amp at low volume, but starts getting noisy around 4 or 5 on the volume. Mine made a ticking noise whenever the tremolo was turned on that made the term useless.

Once I swapped the speaker on my HRD, I decided I liked the HRD much more and sold the Deluxe.

Rydock likes this.
  8. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

I just bought a limited edition with creamback speaker.....my Dad did as well.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

e???, JK1965, Gasp100 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Dew it!

BobbyRay and DV52 like this.
  10. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

My reverb is fantastic. Try a new tube.

BobbyRay likes this.
  11. Madison

Madison Member

Over the years I've owned 2 DRRI's, a 68 Custom, a '72 Deluxe Reverb and another DRRI I've had for 5 years. Killer amps, I'd be happy with any version of deluxe. I've been eyeballing the TM Deluxe at 23 lbs, but just got a 'so so' report from a friend after his first gig on one. This guy also uses the 68 Custom, and has since it first came out.

Hefalump and JasonElGato like this.
  12. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

In response to the reverb, I called Fender and spoke with them about. I have a 68 and had a 65. The reverb on the 65 was much better. The guy at Fender didn't really have an answer except to say that both models have the same reverb tank. Might look into swapping out the tube.

My 68 also has the pine cabinet with Neo Creamback. Sounds great with drive pedals but lacks that Fender clean chime. The cleans are a little dull in comparison to the Jensens.

JasonElGato and Gasp100 like this.
  13. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I have an Eminence Texas Heat in mine. Big sounding speaker!

14. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

IIRC, the Reverb on the '68 was modified slightly to ''Tame" it a bit as compared to the '65.

The noise floor can be reduced somewhat by swapping out the JJ power tubes for some Tung Sol RIs and playing around with the bias some. Still noticeable but not that much more than other DR's.

The trem ticking can be greatly reduced by the right tube and adjusting the lead dress to the opto-bug(separate the blue and yellow wires, IIRC). In extreme cases a cap can be added to the trem circuit, per Fender's service bulletin #9.
    This can be an issue on all Deluxe Reverbs.

I've had my CDR since they first came out. Still bone stock except for tubes.
    Great amp.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    JasonElGato likes this.
  15. Gasp100

My 68 also has the pine cabinet with Neo Creamback. - that sounds like an awesome combination!

16. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

Awesome sounding amps

e??? likes this.
  17. Ugh

Ugh Member

I’ve had mine for about 4 months and am really enjoying it. I run it fairly clean with a Benson preamp always on for dirt in a rootsy soul-rock band. My only complaint is with the footswitch-it’s already failed on me (had to resolder on the jack side).

18. Gasp100

What indicates Limited? Color tolex? I’f I can get one with Creamback I’m in!

Hefalump likes this.
  19. Leftyman

My "Limited" does look any different. Still has black tolex. You can always buy a Creamback. Not sure how much difference the Pine cabinet makes.

20. Leftyman

I'm struggling with the speaker somewhat. The Neo Creamback loses some the Fender thing. The Jensen almost seems to be too much the other way with the highs. Really bright. I have been looking at either an Eminence Legend or the George Alessandro speaker. How would you describe the Texas Heat? Did your amp come with the Celestion V type?

BobbyRay likes this.