Thoughts on a " do-it -all " guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Anthony Gring, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Wondering how many of you have a " do-it -all " guitar and how it works for you. I have a killer R7, SRV Strat and Suhr Tele. I play in church a lot now and there really isn't time to change guitars for the next song. I seem to play either the LP or Suhr the whole set. A killer player just joined our team. He plays a Tyler w/ SSH. He gets really good Strat type tones and when using the bucker , though not as nice as my R7 tone, it's pretty close for thicker stuff. So - I know there's compromise but my wheels are turning a bit thinking about one axe to cover clean and thick well. I welcome your thoughts. I guess I would be looking at Suhr ( Standard or Pro series ) Tyler or ??? Thanks!

2. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Mine is a Hamer Mirage I. I have to roll back the volume to get anything Fenderish, but you can get a pretty convincing Allmans tone from the neck or middle pickups. Then roll down the volume and select positions 2 or 4 on the pickup switch, and you get a pretty convincing "Bell-Bottom Blues" tone.

There's also a "blow switch"... it connects the bridge pup to the output, bypassing volume and tone controls. It's a lot of fun, and a flamey koa top makes it even cooler.

Rumor has it that mine was once owned by Andy Marshall of THD, and that he's the one who blocked the trem (which I've left). If so, I'm eternally grateful to him for having sold it.

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, a do it all guitar MUST have a Strat 2 or 4 position tone, a neck single coil and humbucker tone, and a bridge humbucker tone.

I have a Suhr Standard H-S-H, maple over basswood with a five position and both of the humbuckers split. In the 2 and 4 position on the 5 way, the humbuckers are ALWAYS spilt so its all single coil in those positions.

I think its better that a PRS 513 because the tones are just BETTER, although not quite as versatile as the 513.

Anderson (I think) does a similar H-S-S super strat.

Pic:

http://msnusers.com/petesguitarsandamps/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=100

4. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

One other thing-

A bridge humbucker in a "Super Strat" will NOT sound like the bridge humbucker in your Lester. It'll be fatter than a single coil, but I haven't found one that sound like a Lester. Perhaps a mahogany body and/or neck will help, but I still don't think it will get REALLY thick.

5. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

I'm the electric guitarist in the praise band at my church. depending on the set list, i cover a lot of ground with my PRS McCarty. Although not a strat sound, splitting the coils on the McCarty kind of puts you in tele territory. I play a Les Paul as well but the the pickups are modded for series parallel with a push pull on the volume knobs if i want a cleaner sound.

it depends on what you play too. We play a lot of Chris Tomlin and Hillsong which requires some humbucker guitar tones.

6. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

A strat-type with either HSH or SSH setup will be more of a swiss army knife guitar. However, like mentioned earlier, there will be some difference in tone because of scale length and body woods. Anyway....

I really like HSH setups with split coil options. A basswood or mahogany body with a maple top will thicken up the humbucker tones on a 25.5" scale axe, and single coil sounds will still have some sparkle. In the shorter scale end of things, a couple of guitars worth looking at are the Anderson Cobra or PRS Swamp Ash Special.

7. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

My do-it-all guitar is my PRS CU22. I replaced the pickups with Duncan Jazz/JB combo and McCarty wiring and puck-pull coil tap. I use this allot in our P&W band and if I could only bring one guitar to a gig it would be this one.

8. KennethC

KennethC Member

I've been grappling with the same issues with the threadstarter, and I think I am going with a Tyler SE with SSH and a midboost bypass.

9. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

Here is my do-it-all guitar:
    [​IMG]

Alder body, maple neck w/ pau ferro fingerboard, Gotoh 1055 bridge, locking tuners, Suhr FL singles and SSV hum, coil split via push-push knob on the last tone pot.

Great position 2 & 4 tones, sweet single coil sounds and fat humbucker tones.

10. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

I've got a 2001 R7 Custom that's my do all. It's the only guitar I have at school currently.

Normally, I have an Epiphone LP Std that's setup to open E for slide work, but I didn't have enough space to bring it up over break. Hopefully, I'll get that back.

11. papersoul

papersoul Member

Just have a strat and LP handy!:RoCkIn

I always find split coild noisy! Well, unless you go EMGs or other noiseless.

My PRS CE-22 is pretty versatile. I saw a band do all sorts of covers and the guy used a CE-22.

12. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

An Anderson Standard with H/S/S is my most versatile guitar. It's got no coil split on the humbucker, so there's no super biting bridge pickup sound (which I wouldn't normally use anyways), and it won't get that Les Paul neck pickup sound, but it has a good mix of tones, and you can add the humbucker to any pickup config, so you can have neck + bridge, or all pups on.

Cheers

Kris

13. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

My do-it-all guitar is a CS Strat Pro. It has SCN's with the Greasebucket tone control. It gives me better tone than an Amer. Deluxe. Although it is single coil when I roll down the tone a bit it will thicken up pretty good, as well as stay Straty with the tone dialed up. Not a Lester, but does work real well as a do-it-all. An SSH works great too, but I need the bridge single jangle and #2 quack at times, so the Strat Pro is my axe of choice.
    Your always gonna have some compromise in a do-it-all, you just have to choose what can be compromised the most, and what your primary tones must be.
    Best Regards!

14. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

The original EBMM Steve Morse Model would qualify as a do-it-all guitar. The only thing I am missing in the stock configuration is a convincing split-to-singlecoil sound in the neck position for that great Strat tone. Everything else that*I* need is in there. Fat buckers for those LP/SG-tones, cool S-style inbetween sounds, play with the volume and the single coils and you get some nice T-style sounds too. Great guitars!

And of course there is the PRS Custom 24 or a Tyler with mid-boost. Both nice and extremely flexible guitars. IMHO

15. saucyjack

saucyjack Member

Mine is a SG Classic with Lollars.
    Good single coil bite, can grind with the right pedals and Amp...can approach Tele like sounds...Covers all the Bases for me.
    Oh and it's light and cheap as well.

16. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

My do-it-all guitar I had made.
    Dual humbuckers, 5-way switch, but also a push/pull to tap the buckers if I want.
    Piezo Bridge, wired up to blend in with the magnetic output, or go alone. Also has two outputs if I want to split the signal that way.
    Tremol-No is about to be installed, waiting for AllParts.
    It will be an acoustic/hybrid/electric - floating trem/dive-only/hardtail guitar! :)

On top of all the versatility, it sounds great. One-piece mahagony body with a 1/2" flame maple top. The body is just oiled, so it really breathes. I have DiMarzio BREED pickups in it, which are not high output. Lots of guitars have come and gone, but this one has stuck around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Why not go all the way to a two voice guitar? GREAT for church.

I have a US Masters Strat with a PowerBridge wired stereo (does lots well), a Godin Flat Five X with a stock factory Ghost wired stereo (does lots well), an Anderson Crowdster Plus with an Anderson/Baggs system AND electric pickup (does electric okay and acoustic better than any real acoustic I've ever played), and... the do it all guitar... My PRS Standard 24 (I don't like the sound of the maple-capped PRS guitars myself so I prefer the all mahogany). All five positions are useful, there are both Les paul-ish AND strat-ish tones AND it's (you guessed it) wired stereo with a ghost system. Since I got it a few months ago it's become my go-to electric.

Then I run the electric through an electric rig, the acoustic through an acoustic rig... and away I go. Any of these guitars will do for anything I need in a pinch, but even if I'm playing acoustic on the Crowdster I can dial in some electric if I need. Versatility indeed!

18. dayn

dayn Supporting Member

Buy a Parker Fly. They have numerous models with different pickup, wood and finish options. VERY versatile with both magnetic and peizo pickups.

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

If I was a touring pro who could only use one guitar, it would be an alder bodied strat with a rw board configured HSS with a hipshot trem. I'd have some sort of noiseless pups like Kinmans for the neck and middle pup and a moderately hot bucker.

20. archiestone

archiestone Member

For me it's my Reverend Rocco. I can get from very bright tele twang to Gibson dirty darkness. The coil taps are the key.