1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on a 'replica' amp vrs the original?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doublee, Jan 13, 2008.

1. doublee

doublee Member

Hand wired to '65 Fender specs (with Mercury and Weber added) vrs a real '65? It seems it would be as good or even better tone-wise?

2. doc

doc Member

The replica will need less upkeep and likely sound better out of the box. Depending on the maker, the replica may depreciate some - the original probably won't.

3. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

The original will rise in value, the replica probably won't. If the original need filter caps, so what, have it done and be good for another 40 years. I haven't heard a replica yet that sounds as good as my 65 Princeton Reverb.

MikeY

4. doublee

doublee Member

Yes I know the replica has alot less resale value, though it may sound better, its the same components but fresher...?

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Listen to both side by side. Most replicas are NOT as good sounding as the originals. (Some are)

6. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Everything is specific to the amp.

Some amps look fantastic and sound horrible, and others are well worn and sound fantastic. I call it the Millenium Falcon factor (referring to Star Wars).

That also applies to replicas, since it's very common for replica builders to make things look pretty, but not understand what really counts.

7. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

I'm starting to sound like a broken record here on this topic, but......

I A/B'd a replica with a freshly serviced 65 BF Deluxe Reverb.

Went home with the replica.

The only hesitation I had about the replica was future value, but even that could not override what my ears were hearing.

It still brings a smile to my face every time I play through it.

fwiw

D

8. xroads

xroads Member

May I dare to ask: which builder?

9. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Fender is thier own and everybodies worst enemy.They built 100000's classic amps that are still going stong and are tone benchmarks. And they are cheap! a Blackface fender should cost 3000.00 and i could buy 3 for that much any day of the week.witness-64-super 800.00-64 vibrolux 875.00-last year.
    [​IMG]

10. dhodgeh

dhodgeh Silver Supporting Member

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

the advantage of a QUALITY replica is that where the original has components that are still OK but have drifted off original spec over 40 yrs., the replica can be "blueprinted" with matching components. I have a blueprinted BF Super circuit built by a friend who's a well known amp tech and it is incredible, I prefer it to my 64 VR (and when I mentioned this he pointed out the issue of newly matched components v. 44 yr old ones as a reason why that might be the case).

Many variables in all of this.

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Anther oft overlooked variable is WHICH original? There was so much variance in amps from one to the next back then, that almost no 2 sound the same. Some were stellar and some sounded like ass. Most were somewhere in between. You also have to factor in component drift and the fact that they drift in different directions from amp to amp.

I have a '65 Twin that sounds better than any other I have ever played. I have a '64 Deluxe Reverb that sounds just OK. I'm sure if I went through it and swapped some caps, resistors, and transformers, I could make it great, but then it wouldn't be original anymore :( DonR has a '66 Deluxe Reverb that sounds pretty average as well. I've heard better than both of ours. He has a 70 something silverface DR that sounds better than both of the black faces if you put a 5Y3 rectifier in it to equalize the voltages.

Then he has a '51 Deluxe that is the best I've ever heard. He also has a '65 Princeton Reverb that is just average.

13. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

Don't you think this applies to bootiqe amps?judging by all the %by this and mary ann's on the emporium i bet they are sometimes not all stellar even with modern spec'd parts.As far as i can tell the last lasting "benchmark" tone after the classics(tweed,blackface,ac-30'plexi etc...)is old Howard Dumble and it's mostly us tonehounds that really know it's what we dig about a couple guitar players guitar players(ford etc..).
    Choice is great but there is the real deal and they are still available pretty inexpensively.
    [​IMG]