Thoughts on Bare Knuckle Pickups Irish Tours

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tiller, Oct 19, 2008.

1. tiller

tiller Member

Hi all,

I am getting a set of these bad boys brought into my local shop and was wondering what people had to say about them. I am trying to decide between these and a set of Lollar Special S. I am currently a Kinman Woodstock user but I am thinking I would like to go the traditional single coil route for a little while. They will be going in a maple neck, featherlight swamp ash, hardtail strat.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Adam

2. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

I own two differat Irish Tour strat sets.....They are excellant sounding PU's....One set has a sort of "base plate" on the bridge, that really sounds nice...The sound of these are like a vintage with a kick....Very Stevie Ray like. I also have the bare knuckle Mother's Milk, which are real creamy like....Still twang real good, but have this smooth kind of attack....I think you will be happy with BK products...They are top shelf! Since your dealing with a Swamp Ash body and maple neck...You may want to go with the Mother's Milk.....Un-less your looking for a real bright tone...Good Luck!

3. tiller

tiller Member

Hrm, and its going into a Hayseed 30... this could be extremely bright!

Perhaps the Loller Special S would be more suitable? Anybody out there have experience with both?

On the other hand, I am very much into that bitey, bright attack sound, so maybe they won't be too bad. I do like a beefy and tight bass though... gah, too many choices!

4. tiller

tiller Member

Bump! You guys think I'm making a bad choice?

5. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

Never had the specials...but have and logve the lollar blondes....Since they have alnico II magnets....They are real clean, but softer attack....A little less mids which gives you super quack! Did you listen to the strat PU clips on the Acmeguitarworks.com ?? It can be helpful...I beleive they were made with a rosewood board strat though...
    I think the specials desciption seem geared for heavier rockers....probally overdrive great...but not the classic start quack of the past. I could be wrong....I know they would have more mids and out-put....
    The Mother's Milk seem somewhere in between! I played my Mother's Milk strat yesterday for a while...Very smooth, but with great quack...Sound classic, and overdrive wonderfully! Check out the acme sight, that would be a good start....Good luck!:)

6. tiller

tiller Member

Damn, don't say that. This is a big investment. I will probably just end up taking the plunge and dealing with it later if I don't like them. No matter what pickup, I'm sure someone will come around and say they hate them!

Thanks for the input guys. More opinions?