Thoughts on builders that don't offer non-relic'd guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderjapan, Sep 17, 2019.

1. fenderjapan

fenderjapan World Heavyweight Champion Silver Supporting Member

I dropped a few searches in to see if a thread on this already existed. I couldn't find one, so here it is.

Note... this is not a relic vs. not relic debate.

In looking into custom builds I have noticed there are a lot of builders (mainly those that build Strat/Tele type guitars) that do not offer guitars without aging. What is the rationale behind this? Because to me, that means I'm not buying the guitar for its musical qualities if the builder isn't willing to show me one closet clean.

Thoughts?

2. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

I think it takes a lot less work to make a relic’d finish than a perfect new one. Can you imagine if you offered “like new” finishes the crap you’d have to deal with from people expecting perfection? It’s a lot easier to hide that “blemish” on a relic finish, no?

3. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

If you want a relic, you go to the builders who specialize in them. The builder might do a clean version for you, if you want it.

Bodeanicus likes this.
  4. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

It will be.

5. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

$6000 for a $2000 guitar last March? :bitch
    Wait, what was the question?

gerg6, wrxplayer, TTHX and 2 others like this.
  6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

No.

Even if your theory were correct about it being about hiding a blemish, the builder would still need to spend the time doing the relic work on the guitar. They just don't spray it and have it look that way.

37 others, Mad-kiwi, McShred and 3 others like this.
  7. fenderjapan

Some may, perhaps. But some don't.

For example:

Whitfill Guitars:
    Q - Can I get a non reliced instrument?
    A - No, I do offer many different levels of relicing and checking. I will be happy to discuss these with you prior to starting your build.

Danocaster:
    NOTE: I can offer "light aging" overall - but I don't offer shiny new or "NOS" finishes.

8. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It does seem less legit when builder can't offer a traditional new clean guitar, but if course that's their prerogative. I just have never spent any cash with a builder who can't make a basic shiny guitar.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    LikeAMotherF, fazen and Sam Hill like this.
  9. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

I've got a couple of guesses as to why a builder would not offer non relic'd guitars
    1. The relic'd guitars must sell better than non relic'd guitars for those builders.
    2. Being able to produce a well done relic, will set the builder apart from those that build and sell new guitars. Doing it right takes time and is really an art form.
    3. Bonus reason - the extra work and detail probably raises the price point of the guitar.

10. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Member

Most Suhr’s are not relic’ed at all.

bobcs71 and Bluzeboy like this.
  11. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

What are you looking for? Gil Yaron will do aged or non-aged finishes. His quality is exceptional.

Bluzeboy likes this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I get it. My friend, David Petillo, will make you a shiny happy guitar, or a trashed relic. It's up to you. I've seen the Teles he's made for Springsteen. All of them are worn and relic'd.

13. fenderjapan

Suhr appears to be the best option. They will do an S type guitar with a scalloped board which is basically what I'm looking for.

14. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

I think builders build the kind of guitars they like and feel they’re good at building.

Buyers should find builders who build the kind of guitars they like, not try to convince a builder to build something outside their wheelhouse.

Go Cat Go!!, TTHX, Da Geezer and 8 others like this.
  15. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

Don Grosh doesn't do relics. One of about a dozen reason why I love Grosh guitars.

16. s2y

s2y Member

Pre-War is a cool acoustic company. They used to offer non-relic'd guitars. That option is no longer listed on the website, so I found a different builder and was happy enough to buy two and working on adding a 3rd.

17. Dickey

Dickey Member

If I were a builder, I would absolutely NOT offer a relic'ed finish to a customer. I would tell them I have more respect for my customers than to think they were so pretentious that they would want something as phony & poseurish as a "fake mojo" guitar.

gerg6, RR59CMS, Anklelocker and 7 others like this.
  18. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Yeah but 99% of players can't afford his stuff.

19. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

My guess?

A lot of builders use places like MJT for finishing work. Who coincidentally don't offer non-relic finishes.

Same as all the "custom" builders who throw together partscasters from USACG/Musikraft/Wildwood.

gerg6, TTHX, ieso and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Member

A while back we had a thread started by a guy who was hoping for a replacement body for a custom guitar that looked perfect - except for a paint blemish inside the tremolo cavity, under the back plate.

I can imagine that a lot of builders wouldn't choose to be subject to that level of scrutiny. It's much less heartache to only deal with customers who actually prefer imperfection, and who might even pay a premium for it.

TTHX, rambleon, Cam1936 and 2 others like this.