Thoughts on builders that don't offer non-relic'd guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderjapan, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sam Shakusky

Sam Shakusky Member

I'd only consider a relic if it was in mint condition...........

:D

2. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

They can't build a perfect brand new shinny guitar. It's that simple :)

Antmax likes this.
  3. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

There are many builders who build guitars exclusively with no relicing.
    There are many builders who build guitars exclusively with relic finishes.
    There are many builders who build guitars with either finish option.
    There are many examples of all of these on the new and used market.

With no shortage of new or used guitars in the world, with any sort of finish...why try to persuade a builder to do something they don’t specialize in?

I love good Thai food. I love great deli food. I don’t bemoan the absence of pastrami on the menu at the Thai restaurant, nor do I expect to see Pad See Ew at the deli.

TTHX, Failsafe306, johnh and 5 others like this.
  4. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

If I were a barber, I would absolutely NOT offer to simply trim a customer’s long hair. I would tell them I have more respect for my customers than to think they were so pretentious that they would want something as phony & poseurish as a “trim” when they could get their money’s worth with a nice brush cut. Number 1 clipper on the sides. Number 2 on top.

Northerner, TTHX, budglo58 and 7 others like this.
  5. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Supporting Member

I know a car dealer who only sells relic'd automobiles

kafka likes this.
  6. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

TGP member: “Why don’t you make non-relic guitars? All those relic guitars are for poseurs.”

Guitar maker: “Most of my customers want relic guitars so I make guitars that I can sell.”

TGP member: “If you made non-relic guitars, I would buy one.”

Guitar maker: “Do you want to buy a non-relic guitar? I could build one for you.”

TGP member: “No. I’m just saying that if you did make non-relic guitars, I would buy one.”

Guitar maker: :rolleyes2::facepalm

7. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

You can't be everything to everyone. The non relic companies are trying to find a niche.

If a non-relic is what you're going for in your custom build, there are TONS of companies that do custom guitars that are pristine. I can't imagine why you needed a reason or explanation as to why a certain company wouldn't do non-relics.

Why aren't Fenders making a current production mahogany glued on single cut guitars?? Why aren't Gibsons making a current production that's a SSS bolt on with a trem??

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yep.... the old arrogance parading as deep concern for the customer. That’s like a hair stylist not receptive to input from the customer because deep down inside they think they know what’s best.

9. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

And then you have people like the guy on the MLP forum who was upset at a dealer because some buckle rash on the back of his brand new aged Les Paul may not have occurred at the factory.
    :bonk

Northerner and Cam1936 like this.
  10. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

This. Any _____ can build a nice guitar IF they are outsourcing necks and IF they aren't doing fine finishes.

Norrin Radd 1966 likes this.
  11. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Tuttle doesn’t do relics. At least not normally.

Tony Foran likes this.
  12. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Yes and no. I spend far more time doing a new old stock finish than a relic. The extra time needed on the actual finish work is more time than being able to quickly spray a finish and relic later. Hardware takes all of about 45 seconds to age.

Not true for all builders. We do as many new builds as relic builds.

HERSCHEL, johnh and mattmccloskey like this.
  13. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

#3 for sure. I once reached out to a relic finisher about doing some parts for a partscaster, and asked about a non-relic job. He said he could do it, but the price would be much higher than any of the relic options.

14. Tootone

Tootone Member

Profit Margins.

Revenue - Cost

Not much margin selling a car.
    Much bigger margin selling extended warranty and a loan.

Guitar - low margin
    bundled with
    Relicing - high margin.

Q: Please can I have an non reliced guitar?
    A: No. Go to Sweetwater.

I expect it is something to do with this.

JoeB63 and uab9253 like this.
  15. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

"Customers" like this drive builders nuts and raise prices for the rest of us.

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Because relicing is stupid. It's stupid to build something and then mess it up so it looks old and you can appear to have an old guitar so you look a certain way.
    "wow dude is that guitar old and therefore valuable / cool?" "No! I just had it reliced so it appeared to be old and therefore cool or valuable."
    It's stupid.
    *treating/relicing the back of the neck is an entirely different thing.

17. runningman

runningman Member

4. no one can return a 'relic-ed' guitar because of finish issues.

This seems to me to be painfully obvious.

Judging a relic finish is a completely subjective enterprise. Don't like the finish? Don't think it looks 'authentic'? That's just your opinion.

Judging the quality of a traditional, non-relic finish is exactly the opposite. It's utterly objective. Either it's got flaws or it doesn't, and there's never any disagreement about whether it was applied properly.

This is not an indictment of relic finishes, btw. Regardless how you feel about them, you can't really dispute the logic here.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

It's all about finding a niche in the market place. Most anyone will build a run of the mill S or T style guitar, so they need to find a way to differentiate. Good relicing is a well-earned skill like anything else, so if they can market that as a differentiating factor to drive more business to them, then it's smart. They simply may not have the "closet clean" process efficient enough for them to want to do it. Perhaps on the relics they can get away without buffing up to a super gloss. That means they don't need the extra buffer, wheels, compounds, etc. Now you ask them if they can do something that they aren't set up for, and they say no to avoid the hassle. I build lots of guitars and if you aren't set up for something, you have to REALLY want it, and in making a living, and assuming you expect the non relic'd guitar to be cheaper, it makes no sense to the builder.

19. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I've always suspected that they cannot produce an unflawed instrument, and cover it up with 'aging'. Until I see them produce an unflawed instrument, I'm sticking with that assumption.

20. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Yeah, im sure. But people didn't understand this thread. The OP is Talkin' about some builders that refuse completely and have never ever done a perfect new finish. i.e. I remember an LP style builder that refused to build a new shinny guitar. He claimed it was for tonal reasons, but I suspect it's because he couldn't. So he did exclusively aged finishes.
    That's the kind of builder the OP is talking about. Not if someone does most relics or both or etc. Just some guy's that actually refuse to build new-looking guitars and what could be the reason behind it :)

fenderjapan likes this.