• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Thoughts on classic player Baja Tele

ScottT

I was wondering if anyone owns or has played a Baja tele? I'm looking for one that has a soft v neck and this seems to fit the bill, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. Opinions?

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

59Bassman

Plank Cranker
Gold Supporting Member
Played a couple of them and they're really nice guitars. Versatile switching system, very good pickups. What I can't get along with is the narrow nut, but everything else about them is well executed.

Mandrax

I love Baja's, just be aware, the neck on these is pretty fat. I have a Strat with a soft v and the Baja neck is definitely fatter.

ScottT

I'm used to playing Gibson's anyway, I have a strat with a c neck and wish it were fatter

73Fender

Big fan club on the Tele forum. Google: TDPRI, Baja Tele and you'll have lots of reading. Good luck.

Oh, some guys convert them to conventional wiring.

JDandCoke

Loved the Baja I used to have, ordered one in after trying it in store which was a mistake, the one I received was like a boat anchor. Definitely make sure you can play it before you buy it. Highly recommended guitars though!

lustycourtier

Strip the 2kg of plastic, wire it properly, and they are ok. My wife bought me 2 when they first came out. They were ok value then. Now, theyve doubled in price since 2007ish.

Average Joe

I like them a lot. I could see myself getting one if I ever find one that is 1) lightweight and 2) for sale. So far I've only found one or the other

I like the looks and specs of the Baja.

A friend of mine bought a Baja Tele and a Squire Jim Root Tele the same day. Since then he's consistently played the Squire Jim Root, rarely even touching the Baja. From the prices alone (€700 vs €400), I would think the Baja would be the better Tele, but who knows. The Jim Root does have a pretty nice sound, but I haven't heard the Baja, so I can't compare the two.

candid_x

Absolutely love mine. I also replaced my American Special Tele neck with a Baja neck, which has considerably less wood and a more pronounced V than that which came on the Baja.

I won't debate this with Boris, agreeing dat he da man on this model especially, but to my hands, the fatter Baja neck of mine is a very soft V, almost a U, while the thinner one is a more pronounced V, especially the first 5 or so frets. Hence the slimmer feel.

The 5/8" nut on both are slightly wider than advertised. Took a little adjusting to get back to a narrower nut, but easily adjusted to it.

I only have only three guitars, two are Teles, and my Callaham equipped Strat is up on CL, simply because since getting the Baja, it's all I play. The neck pickup gives me all the Strat-like neck position tone I need, and position four sounds to me like a humbucker. I almost never use the out of phase push knob, but once in awhile I'll forget it's pushed in and still enjoy playing it in those two positions it affects. Still, I'd be happier if that option was left out as it's just two more connections that could go awry, and could live without them.

Sean French

I was wondering if anyone owns or has played a Baja tele? I'm looking for one that has a soft v neck and this seems to fit the bill, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet. Opinions?

I've had my for two years. It's an '11 that I bought new in early '12.
Mine does have a soft V neck carve. ;)
I've played a couple of others and they too have a soft V carve.
Wonderful guitars with cool switching options.
I must admit I don't use the S1 switching much at all. YMMV
Still thinking about going with a standard three way switch.

I looked for over six months to find me a fairly light one. Some are quite heavy.
Mine is 7.1 lbs.
Neck is fat but not a tree trunk. Mine measures .910" at the 1st and .995" at the 12th.
The nut width is not thin.
My Baja is 1.680" wide. My Les Paul and PRS McCarty are 1.692" and 1.693" respectively.
A 1 5/8" nut measures 1.625".

Good luck in your search.

Here is mine.

jgk62

I never bonded with my Baja, ended up selling it. I really wanted to like it but something about it just didnt gel with me.
I love the soft V neck in my Jimmie Vaughan strat, but thought the Baja neck was too fat.
I ended up getting a 'regular' MIM tele and bonded with it immediately.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom