Thoughts on ebay seller BS?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by truecam123, Dec 8, 2016.

1. truecam123

truecam123 Member

So I ordered an oven part from ebay. The seller has 94154 feedback score with 99.6% positive feedback.

In the last 12 months they had:

About 36,000 positive feedback
    About 150 neutral
    About 150 negative

I only read some of the negative feedback before ordering and some of it alleged some diabolical stuff like accusations that the company made up fake tracking numbers.

Anyway, with 36000 happy customers I figured my chances of getting screwed were mathematically speaking, extremely low.

So I purchased the $50 part and a day later got a tracking number from USPS. It had tracking info where the package was scanned and then a delivery date. The delivery date came and went and the package never came. The USPS web page still showed the date that had come and gone as the expected delivery date.

When I finally sent an email to the seller, I said something like, "I never got my part, was this one of those fake tracking numbers I read about in your negative reviews?" ( I know, I was kind of upset)

I immediately got a refund and an email saying, "sorry, the item must have been lost in transit. We can't send you another one as that was the last one in stock." The seller's store still shows the item for sale with 10 of them left.

Obviously something is weird, but what? Why go through all the hassle and then refund someone's money if it's some kind of scam?

Sorry for the novel. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Sounds like an honest inventory mistake to me. I suspect the guy has gotten too big for his business...that's a lot of transactions in a month.

65DuoSonic and Boxcar Wookie like this.
  3. truecam123

truecam123 Member

Ah, my bad. Feedback was from the last 12 months. I changed it. Thanks.

4. truecam123

truecam123 Member

I didn't know that. I was trying to determine if I should leave negative or neutral feedback. I guess I can't do either now.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

That's still 100 transactions a day...

6. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Scam, sellers hopes that you wait long enough for you funds to clear in his paypal account, transfers it into his bank account before opening another paypal account and linking that to his ebay account. I bet if you went through all of his positive feedback all of it would be from the same couple of dozen ebay accounts, as in the seller is in control of a few dozen ebay accounts and uses them to 'buy' things from his main account so that he can give himself great feedback,it's become a very common scam on eBay for sellers to operate multiple accounts to boost their feedback ratings on their main account and to puch up the prices of their auctions through fake bids using accounts that they control, in the UK there has been quite a few people convicted for it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2010/apr/20/ebay-seller-convicted-auction-fixing

http://readwrite.com/2010/07/06/ebay_seller_convicted_fined_for_shill_bidding/

http://readwrite.com/2010/07/06/ebay_seller_convicted_fined_for_shill_bidding/

The problem is that widespread and common now that I will never buy anything by auction on eBay again, and only buy low value items on eBay if I'm buying anything at all from them. The worst thing about is that unless you bring it up and point out that it's happening, eBay seem to be happy to keep their head in the sand about the whole thing, that is until they have police and trading standards knocking on their doors asking why they are allowing people to act and work as used car salesmen without the required car trading license, again something else which is very common and sellers get around by having multiple ebay accounts, and a lot of the times all these ebay accounts are all linked to the same bank and paypal accounts, so it's not as if it would be difficult to stop or police.

lendryesky likes this.
  7. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I wonder if it's one person or a company. The company I work for has about on average five orders a day, but they are expensive welding products (mostly) and need care to be packed and shipped. It takes about three hours to pull the products, pack them, prepare them, enter into the system, etc.

8. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I don't know if ebay is still like this, but feedback from the same buyer doesn't count towards the actual numbers of positive or negative feedback. That could have changed. People do try to hack ebay accounts, usually by phishing, to pull scams such as shilling or using an account with great feedback, sell something expensive on it then abscond with the money. I remember once instance where a guy put up probably over one hundred items for sale in November-December. The positive feedback was virtually perfect. Then a flood of negative feedback came on and it turns out the guy took the money and flew overseas. I doubt he took the time to make 1000+ good transactions to pull this scam, and it was probably an idle account that got hacked.

EDIT: The last instance was back in 2004, and the positive feedback went years back. I remember watching his feedback each day as more people mentioned the scam and got the FBI involved.

9. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Yes it does there are a hand full or ebay sellers that my girlfriend and I buy off of on a regular basis, and all our feedback counts towards their total feedback, every purchase you make with the same seller you are considered a new custumer.

10. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I would have probably seen 150 negatives and stayed away, regardless of the number of positives.

11. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

Oh, it didn't used to be like that. Same customer meant no credit to your feedback (you could see the feedback given but it didn't count towards the actual number) probably for this reasoning (scams) alone. Wonder why they changed it.

12. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Probably because of people like me and the girlfriend, we find a few sellers who are really really good and reliable, so we just stick to using them instead of risking using unknown sellers, so they were losing out on the credit from peoples positive experiences with them.

13. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I don't really understand how the USPS website would have shown a fake input scan and transit status.

@truecam123 , did you enter the tracking number on that actual USPS website? Or are you following a link provided by the seller which spoofs the USPS website?

If the tracking number is indeed valid in the genuine USPS system, and they show the package being scanned in, then any issues regarding non-delivery are the fault of USPS, not an indication of the seller colluding with the USPS to scam you. In the case of a valid number and a scanned package, the seller refunded you out of caution that you would leap to a mistaken conclusion and an accusation of a scam.

Could you amplify and clarify these aspects of your story?

lendryesky likes this.
  14. truecam123

truecam123 Member

That's pretty crazy. I wasn't aware of how bad it's gotten as I haven't purchased anything in a while.

The scams appear to be endless. I still wonder how, if they used a fake tracking number, as alleged by other negative feedback, how that can be done.

15. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

You don't actually need to send anything to get a tracking number, all you really need to do is use a lazy courier company that will pre scan a tracking number for you once you notify them of your intention to send a parcel using their service.

I've had it happen to me several times from very reliable shops where they say they are sending me out my ordre with courier company 'A' and even supply me a tracking number that works at that couriers companies website, only for courier company 'B' to deliver the goods, usually a day or two earlier than courier company 'A' are telling me to expect it by their own tracking system.

16. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Since only USPS employees scan packages as received by the USPS, that doesn't fit the OP's story. It doesn't matter if a fly-by-night service generates a label. The hand-off to the USPS is necessary for the input scan.

17. truecam123

truecam123 Member

Sure. At first I followed the link, but I also went to the USPS website independently and entered the tracking number and the results were the same.

I just checked the tracking number again on the USPS website, since I received my refund, and it sill shows as the package being picked up in phoenix on 11/29 and arriving in Denver on 12/1, and it still shows the expected delivery day as 12/2.

Before I got my refund, I had tried calling USPS and was unable to speak with anyone about the tracking, and only able to enter the tracking number and got an automated messaging saying it's scheduled for delivery for 12/2 which was the same info from the USPS packing tracking page.

Certainly it''s not likely that that seller is colluding with the USPS to rip me off, however, I found it strange that the allegations of fake tracking numbers have been made in the past and then tracking issues came up on my order. Additionally, the fact that they told me they are out of the product so they cannot ship me another one, yet still list 10 for sale on the ebay site seems a little strange.

Maybe the package being lost is just a coincidence.

18. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Like I said a very reliable shop, and it was with DPD probably the best courier service in the UK, I was told that they would be delivering the guitars that I ordered on Black Friday on Cyber Monday and I paid to have them delivered on that specific date, was given traking details, number and everything, only for Yodel to deliver the guitars on November the 27th, the day before I was expecting the guitars to be delivered, and this is from a very very reliable company that I spend a lot of money with, that have given me special log in credentials to give me a very generious discount without me even having to call them about price matching or getting a discount, this company really goes out of it's way to keep me not only as a customer, but a very very happy one at that, they gave me a dozen free korg soud hole acoustic guitar tuners and a few seven guitar studio racks for free with my Black Friday order I made with them, and I hadn't even mentioned to them that I was in need of more guitar racks, and I didn't even know that clip on acoustic guitar sound hole tuners existed, this company sends me a lot of free stuff, whether or not I place an order with them or not, the sample bags a those Dava picks where the latest freebies they sent me.

So it wasn't some fly by night operation.

19. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

So... the tracking number isn't fake.

I've had USPS lose packages we were waiting on at work, and even had one mail carrier claim he had attempted delivery when he handed the actual "attempted delivery" slip to the mail room employees. They raised hell about the carrier after one employee went to the carrier's vehicle with him, and it turned out the carrier hadn't even brought the package. Our employee had even recorded the line of BS from the carrier on his phone, since it wasn't the first time something critical had gone missing with a USPS employee, and then drove to the post office where the package supposedly was waiting. The manager called the carrier on the phone after hearing the recording, asking where in the facility the package was, and it turned out the carrier been running some scam.

If the package is in the USPS system, that has nothing to do with the seller. If you got a box with sand or bricks, then it's the seller. If there is a tracking number generated, but no input scan, that's also on the seller.

Do you see how the claim of someone faking a USPS input scan is highly dubious at best, and completely wrong at worst?

Or, if someone is still making that claim, explain to me how such a USPS fake input scan would work, in simple terms like I was a child. Be specific.

I just don't understand what's to be gained by holding onto a false narrative of how you got taken by a huge conspiracy which includes at least one USPS employee at minimum. Wouldn't it be better to not claim to be a victim of a false conspiracy, and to be realistic?

20. truecam123

truecam123 Member

Erge, seems like your extrapolation from my post included some false and imaginative conclusions.

I wrote this: "Obviously something is weird, but what? Why go through all the hassle and then refund someone's money if it's some kind of scam?"

After reading my post you concluded something that made you state: "I just don't understand what's to be gained by holding onto a false narrative of how you got taken by a huge conspiracy which includes at least one USPS employee at minimum. Wouldn't it be better to not claim to be a victim of a false conspiracy, and to be realistic?"

Not sure where your reasoning comes from regarding conspiracies but I'm guessing that even if I were to reword my sentence above in an attempt to explain this like you were a child, you would still not grasp the simplicity of my statement.

Please see response #7. This is an example of a logical response from someone who is grasping this simple post.

Good luck and thanks for your contributions.