Thoughts on Epiphone Elitist Byrdland

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LTE, Jul 12, 2006.

1. LTE

LTE Member

I made the mistake of listening to a bunch of Ted Nugent records and watching a couple of Tal Farlow DVDs. Now I want a Byrdland. (Yeah I know Tal didn't play a Byrdland, but it's close enough)

I can never afford a Gibson Byrdland (new or used). I got lookong at the Epiphone Elitist Byrdland. Any thoughts on them?

BTW, was it a Super 400 or a L5 Tal played on the Live at Bowlingreen DVD (is that in fact the DVD)

2. fastburn430

fastburn430 Member

I have heard alot of good things about the elitist series. I believe they are made in a different factory than the regular Epiphones and are built by real craftsmans. A local store has one, so I will have to try it out and report back.

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

They are MIJ, at the same factory that made the Orville by Gibson for the Japanese market, I believe. Yes, very good work.

4. MrAloha

MrAloha Member

Just played one at a guitar store in Honolulu, Very nice, played great. American pickups and the same hardware you would find on a Gibson. Even the binding nubs go over the fret ends. They said it took six months to get it....

5. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I own an Epiphone Elitist ES-335 which is my favorite 335-style guitar.

I have played the Elitist Byrdland also....very nice guitars at a fraction of the price of a "real" one.

Highly recommended....:D

6. OldNo.7

OldNo.7 Member

I didn't know Epiphone made a Byrdland. I did a quick search and only found the rounded cutaway. Is it available with the sharp florintine cutaway?

OldNo.7

7. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Have you played a Byrdland? I don't like the scale length. I mean, I'll admit I'm most comfortable on a strat, and perfectly fine on a standard gibson, but that 23 and a half, or whatever is on the Byrdland... Not for me...

8. Phineas

Phineas Member

their elitist sg's are better than a lot of gibsons i've played. honestly.

9. B Vance

B Vance Member

I've played a Byrdland several times. The shop down the street has one in stock. I thought that Epi did a very nice job with it. The one that I played was natural, but from what I've seen, I like the burst better. It was a bit awkward playing it though because I'm not used to such a big bodied guitar, but I had a good time with it. The tone was nice and deep. Lots of jazz/standard hollow-body tones to be had. I've been impressed by all of the Elitist series Epiphone guitars I have seen and played. For the most part, they seem to be of high quality.