Thoughts on Fender Cabronita copy by Mark Jenny (MJT)

BADHAK

I may be buying a Cabronita copy this week and I thought I'd get some opinions on Cabronita's and also on MJT's work.

Looks to be a medium relic (not really a relic fan but the work looks realistic)lots of checking in Shoreline Gold , nitro, Musikraft C2 maple neck, 6105, 9.5 radius, Mark Rutter La Burrito bridge, Powertron and Powertron Plus pickups.
Decent price.

Only unknown is the skills of the person who bolted it together and set it up.

Anyway, it will be my second attempt at a Tele style and my first with Gretsch style pickups. I struggled with the scooped brightness of my previous Lollar Vintage T's loaded custom made Tele, and wonder if the Cabronita will be abit closer to my preferred LP's (in particular my #1 a Faded LP Special with Pearly Gates )
I'm not trying to make it sound like a LP, but want something abit more than the vintage Tele sound..

Any thoughts appreciated

Tony Bones

In a general way I find Filtertron pickups to be more balanced across the frequency spectrum than any tele pickup. So there's a chance that you'll be happy. :)

Tony Bones

I have not tried Powertrons. All of my experience comes from a set TVJ Classic and Classic Plus in a Baja tele. I do have a set of TVJ T-Armonds waiting to go in the same guitar if I ever get the time...

BADHAK

Anybody else play a Cabronita or any guitar done by MJT ??
Any opinions on Powertrons and how they compare to medium output humbuckers like Pearly Gates ??

BADHAK

No worries there, Teles are simple to set up.

The only thing I'm worried about is on my previous Tele with a Wilkinson adjustable 3 barrel bridge and maple neck , is I found the string tension to be a good bit stiffer than my Strat, forcing me to go to 9's for the first time in my life. I wonder if that's a vintage Tele thing or just that particular Tele ??

AdmiralB

Any opinions on Powertrons and how they compare to medium output humbuckers like Pearly Gates ??

I've used Powertrons, and the Plus version. They're IME pretty much indistinguishable from PAF-type humbuckers.

AdmiralB

Great , thanks

The Powertrons split really well. They sound just like Hilo 'trons in single-coil mode (which is essentially exactly what they are, at that point).

I tried the PT/PT+ set in an SG, using the conversion rings, and it sounded exactly like early Tony Iommi. They're great pickups...they just don't sound as distinctive as TV Classics or Fidelitrons or whatever, to me.

BADHAK

The Powertrons split really well. They sound just like Hilo 'trons in single-coil mode (which is essentially exactly what they are, at that point).

I tried the PT/PT+ set in an SG, using the conversion rings, and it sounded exactly like early Tony Iommi. They're great pickups...they just don't sound as distinctive as TV Classics or Fidelitrons or whatever, to me.

Would you describe them as dark...or bright in the SG ??

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
I have two MJT Strats. Best playing Strats I've ever owned, and for incredible prices. Can't go wrong.

JES1680

Yep Mark does good work. Here's Mine. I prefer the TV Classic to the Powertron myself.
IMG_1528_zpslbkmzuju.jpg

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I find MJTele's work to be somewhere in between Fender CS and Pre-CBS Fender.

I have an MJTele sherwood green Strat with a slab rosewood neck and it's exceptional!

monty

The only thing I'm worried about is on my previous Tele with a Wilkinson adjustable 3 barrel bridge and maple neck , is I found the string tension to be a good bit stiffer than my Strat, forcing me to go to 9's for the first time in my life. I wonder if that's a vintage Tele thing or just that particular Tele ??
I'd say that Tele. I put that bridge on 2 different ones and didn't find them stiff.

If the string rension is stiff you can either add relief or put a shim in the front of the neck pocket. Toward the headstock, not the bridge.

riff1006

MJT knows how to do Teles. I have one and not only is it the guitar I've owned the longest, but it plays and sounds fantastic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom