Thoughts on Fulltone's OCD.. I feel it's too bright?

reussen2907

Hi all,

First thread EVER here on TGP. I have been lurking for some time, getting some great info. Good to be here!

So I have some thoughts on Fulltone's OCD. I read raving reviews about this pedal all over the internet. But somehow, I feel it's not for me? Maybe I am using it wrong?

I recently stepped into the whole "1-channel amp and use pedals for dirt" scene. Sold my Soldano HR50 and Diezel Einstein, bought a Matchless Chieftain and a Fulltone OCD. Although this little pedal has a LOT of gain on tap, I feel it's just too bright.

The Matchless has a GREAT clean / break-up sound and I thought the OCD might take her into medium / high gain territory, without too much coloration of my tone. To do that, I need to turn down the tone-knob almost all the way. Killing a lot of tone in the process. I am running it at 18V at the moment, so maybe that accounts for it being brighter than usual?

I really want to like this pedal.. anybody else using it with a Matchless?

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome to the party! Don't drink too much Kool-Aid.

Anyway, check out the Mooer Hustle Drive. Cheaper alternative that will give you the OCD character but not as bright if you need to tame it back!

olejason

+1 on the Mooer.

Every drive won't work with every amp though. And maybe you have your 'clean' setting exceptionally bright? Single coil pickups?

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
A few years ago, I had a very bright, boutique, 5 watt amp. It was a great sounding little amp, but the OCD was definitely the wrong pedal for that amp. I like the OCD, but through that amp it was just way too much.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I've always had the same problem BUT.... I've always used it with Fender amps. Never with a Marshall. I'm willing to bet it's much better through Marshall.

I've always had the same problem BUT.... I've always used it with Fender amps. Never with a Marshall. I'm willing to bet it's much better through Marshall.
I played one for the first time yesterday at GC through a fender. It had to be one of the best drive tones I've ever heard. Great full sound.

reussen2907

hmm... I'm using it with a PRS SC, so no single coils. I think I'll try it on 9V first; see if that helps. And I'll be sure to check it with some different amps, before I decide to sell or trade it.

Pass Auf, are you using it on 9V?

Slideman

You may want to check out an OD with a bit more EQ versatility such as a Timmy. You can cut the treble, boost bass etc....nice match for a Matchless too.

popvulture

I play through a Chieftain as well, and also wasn't a huge fan of the OCD. It was definitely too harsh with that amp, so I sold it to a friend who now plays it through a Fender. Much better fit.

Pedals that I've particularly liked through the amp: Keeley modded Blues Driver, Whiteface Rat at low gain settings (yields a nice, streamlined kind of modern rock sound, ala Everlong), Centaur (silver) and KTR.

Pizzaking

I like the OCD, but ultimately stopped using it because I also thought it was excessively bright.

Tune-O-Matic

I never use mine with the Tone control turned past 9 o'clock.

I also roll back the tone control on my guitar. I hate that otherwise raspy overdrive sound.

pharmacybear

I've had my OCD since 2003 and I've tried dozens of guitars and amps with it. I think overall, the pickups make the biggest difference over anything. If there's too much jangle or brightness it makes it hard for the OCD to back off a bit. I love how it sounds with my Tele and Jazzmaster. I've always had trouble making it sound good with humbuckers though, which I feel becomes too dark and muddy with the OCD on.

The volume and the tone need to be worked together more than anything. I turn the drive way down (maybe 9 o clock?) and set my volume to start pushing the amp a little then adjust tone to brightness/darkness I want. Then slowly bring up the drive until you're happy. I've found it hard to use the drive past 1 o clock and get a variety usable results.

mscotts

What?!
Gold Supporting Member
The OCD has survived on my board through many changes, been a favorite drive for me. I'm always using a vintage Marshall type amp and it really shines. I use it more as a boost with a small amount of gain dialed in, the tone control never goes past noon.
Great pedal-

chillybilly

I use mine with a Vox AC-30 so there is some Matchless relevance there I suppose.

I do think it's a bit trebly at times especially with single coils which may be self-evident. There is the high peak/low peak switch and I always go LP. The pedal/amp combination is quite different depending on amp volume....I usually have the pedal tone knob at about 9:30-10 o'clock i.e. rather low to keep it from getting to bright and/or harsh.

Still, I have found OCD to be superior to most of its peers that I've tried and use it alongside a Wampler Sovereign with both providing very different character. I only rarely stack them together (also use an EP booster).

Staggerlee

How do you set up your Matchless? If the master is below 12 it starts sounding both muddy and brittle at he same time and any OD will sound too bright. Try running the master at 12 and use the volume for controlling overall levels. Also use your guitar volume knob on about 8-9 to soften some of the top end on the Matchless. See if this works better.

popvulture

^ Interesting–I've never had this problem with mine. I generally tend to run the volume at just the point of breakup when I hit the strings hard, still remaining clean and chimey with normal and light playing. Master is adjusted to wherever/with whomever I'm playing, but yes–it does sound better louder.

I've found that a lot of harshness on my amp comes from the brilliance knob, which I therefore end up keeping pretty low (about 9 o clock).

lukather101

Fliped the Ocd sounded s**t with my Matchless Avalon , the Plimsoul is a different story "Sounds Glorious"

Trending Topics