Thoughts on Fultone Fulldrive 3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flick037, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Flick037

Flick037 Member

Looking at getting the 3. Wanting the pros and cons from players who have used/have it. Also, interested in other options within the same price range.

2. nateco

nateco Member

The boost side is stellar...one of the nicer clean boosts going.

The comp cut mode was good, I enjoyed the thicker 90's mode too...asym didn't do much for me. Lots of gain on tap too.

Ultimately, I moved it along, for no other reason than to switch things up a little. I would buy one again.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

It has been my main and only OD since I bought it the first week the black version was released. It replaced my Boss OD2 and my diy-SHO boost.

Pros:
    - Independent boost (the big reason I bought it)
    - A fancy versatile Tube Screamer that gets the job done in a band context
    - Comp Cut mode
    - Not so expensive
    - Small size

Cons:
    - Extremely dark sound, unless you turn the tone knob all the way up (this is actually a good thing to me and my bright as hell 68 Twin Reverb)
    - Awkward switches placement, needs a little bit of space on both sides to take a proper stomp, unless you play with vaquero boots.

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I am a die-hard FD2 user, I have a pre-mosfet custom shop version, it's my "yardstick", I'll never sell it.

I wasn't impressed with the FD3. It no longer sounded like the FD2. All *I* wanted was an FD2 that had a boost that could be either volume boost OR gain boost.... IDK what Fuller did to change the thing, but it doesn't sound like an FD2 pre-mos, and I returned it pretty quickly.

Then my name came up on the KOT list (I haven't pulled the trigger yet).

Then I discovered the VS-XO, which I have not bought yet, but am going to in the near future.

Still love my old FD2, still will never sell it.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I grabbed a used fr3 Orange anniversary and love it. I do not find it dark but it is darker that he fd2 mosfet. I never used the cc mode so I don't miss it on the anniversary model. More gain and more harmonics than the mosfet. Really dig it. To me it has more personality than ithe 2

6. Flick037

Flick037 Member

I have an 808, soul food, vs route 66, and a boss super overdrive. Although, I definitely think I'm gonna grab the fd3. Thanks guys.

7. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I love the FD2 and love the TS808 RI even more. How does the tone compare? Please describe as I am one of those people who merely wants the OLD FD2 with a clean boost. That would be a great tone!

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Compare with what? An FD2 and FD3? or 808? I don't have an 808.

If you want a comparison of the FD2 and FD3, there's at least one giant thread hear about it.... search for "fulldrive" in the title.

9. shawntp

shawntp Member

Loving my FD3, what setting you use I find mostly depends on the amp. Over the plast 10 years I have come back around to the FullDrive several times and owned a few versions. When it works with your amp its just magic. The FD3 is the best version to me and the boost options are what make it special. In the past 2 months I have tried out a Jester V2 and an Ethos and at gig volume into a clean amp (I use a rambler) the FD3 just has this silky smooth midrange magic that wins out for me.

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I have the orange 20th Anniversary FD3 and a Custom Shop 'Ferrari Yellow' pre-Mosfet 3-way toggle FD2. I like the FD3, but still prefer my FD2 by a good margin.

Two biggest issues I have with the orange FD3 are:

1) Too much dirt that comes on way too early. By 9:00/10:00 on the rotation of the Overdrive knob the FD3 has as much dirt and compression as my FD2 set at 2:00. Because of this I find I'm unable to dial in many of those lower gain/less dirt settings I love with my FD2.

2) I pretty much live on the middle toggle setting 'Flat-Mids' mode of my FD2, and find that mode to give me the perfect blend of midrange color and compression while still retaining a lot of clarity and openness. It's really what I love about the FD2.

Can't get that with the FD3. It's 'Wide Asym' mode (while similar) is not the same. Still way too much dirt in that mode, and it doesn't have that same great quality of color vs. clarity/openness as the 'Flat-Mids' mode of the FD2.

So for me and my application the FD2 still wins out. If I had never played an old FD2, I could certainly live and be happy with the FD3.

Also, I'm not sure if the orange 20th Anniversary FD3 and the new black FD3 are the same (???)

11. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Mainly, how does it compare to a pre-mosfet FD2. It seems FD2 users aren't thrilled with this piece which makes me wonder if the JHS mod isn't a great idea to consider. It gives you the FD2 but makes the boost an independent clean boost.

Haven't seen one person who loves the FD2 praise the FD3. That's an issue for me because I would only be getting an FD3 as an improved-FD2 with a smaller form factor.

Love the original FD2!

12. scolfax

scolfax Member

Big fan of my black FD3. The tone control is non-conventional but works. 90% of it is in the "dark" range, but thankfully the last 10% is very sensitive and you can dial in whatever you need.