1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on G&L Asat Z3?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Keld, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Keld

Keld Member

I'll have a chance to play/buy one in a day or two, but was curious about some input. Any owners out there or others who've played them? Likes? Dislikes?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Keld

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

Hey Keld,

I haven't played an asat z3, but I have played the majority of the asat line and own a comanche, so I'm fairly familiar with both the pickups and teh instrument itself.

The asat is an absolutely phenomenal tele style guitar in my opinion, and I can almost guarentee you will not be disappointed playing it. Everything is well made and extremely comfortable to play. As a general rule, they are very alive acoustically, especially if you can snag a semi hollow (I advised my guitar teacher to pickup a semi hollow special when he wanted a tele-esque guitar, and I must say it is one of the best guitars I have ever had the chance to play). The shapes will vary a bit depending on which number neck it is, but I have found them all to be quite comfortable.

The Z-coils are a really unique sounding pickup. The switching system on the comanche allows for a wider range of tones with its expander switch and PTB tone system, but the z-coils are an extremely versitile pickup regardless. Dont expect to get classic tele tones perfectly- it can closely approximate plenty of tones, but has a voice of its own. The bridge is very tele like, but the neck and middle do their own thing. Overall, they very clear sounding, with a bit more presence and punch than normal single coils. They also, to my ears, sound bigger and hi-fi.

I'm sure the asat z-3 will sound a bit different as the PTB system on the comanche really allows you to play with the voicing of the pickups, but this should give you a fairly approximate heads up.

feel free to ask anything more specific that i didnt cover

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

IMO, the G&L Z3 pickups are modern sounding with stronger mids than vintage Fender tones. So, if you're seeking vintage Fender-like tones I would look elsewhere. Otherwise, if you prefer a hi-fi modern & probably a more versatile sound, the G&L Z3 guitars are excellent.

4. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

I've got a Z3 (and will never part with it); at home it's one of my least favorite guitars. However, in a bandsetting the guitar sounds killer. It's a big sounding guitar that cuts through the bandmix really really well. More Strat than Tele i.m.h.o.. I suggest to try one before buying.

Mistar Bruce Wayne likes this.
  5. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

fabulous guitars, as my friend Chris S (moderator at the TDPRI (tdpri.com)) says, "the Swiss Army knife of guitars" -- I can do big blues on it, jazz (used it through a Twin for jazz and a friend who owns a real '53 ES-5 said he could not believe it, it sounded "like a big, fat archtop..."), rock, country, etc.

Go to the TDPRI and do a search and you'll get lots of info. I personally prefer the semihollow version, mine is one of my top 5 keepers among many big name, big deal guitars....

jc

6. Keld

Keld Member

Thanks for the great input all. I'll let you know what I decide tomorrow.

Cheers.

7. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I owned a Z-3 and it was my main squeeze for about a year. Stellar guitar with great sounds and versatility. Great quacky Strat sounds and a very clear, fat sounding neck pickup. Not real crazy about how it looked. Overall, the guitar is an amazing value.

8. Keld

Keld Member

Well I pulled the trigger this weekend and bought the Z3 - what a great guitar. The sounds and playability are terrific. I'm enjoying it more than I even anticipated. The neck is larger than I'm used to but it's easy enough to adjust.

It's pretty flashy, but I think the flash just makes it more fun :dude. I imagine tele traditionalists will choke, especially with the trem, but what the heck, it works for me.

Cheers,

Keld

[​IMG]

9. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Wow, that Z3 looks great. Trem looks good on that guitar as well I think.

10. Keld

Keld Member

Thanks. I'm really pleased with how full, yet articulate the tones are.

Well back to going deaf, er I mean practicing....

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Thats COOL!!! I like it!!

12. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

great looking guitar:RoCkIn

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

G&L trems are fantastic, IMO, that is a very cool combo you have...