Thoughts on getting rid of my RMC3 (for Fulltone Clyde)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Nov 29, 2005.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey,

So i've had my RMC3 for about 2 years, during which time I haven't been playing all that much. I have never really been happy with the tone i get from it, despite much tweeking. Before this, I had a Dunlop 535 chrome, but wanted a TB wah, and thought that the RMC3 would be the end-all-be-all. Well, it hasn't! I'm sure it's a great wah, but i have not been able to get that vocal, funky sweep with my current setup.

I've been considering trying to swap this wah out for a Fulltone Clyde wah, which i have also heard good things about.

I currently play (mainly) either a Gibson Custom Shop Paul JAckson Jr. (dual humbuckers) or an Ibanez AM-205 (dual humbuckers), but occasionally play my Tele Deluxe (single coil - red lace sensor - at the neck, dual blue single coil lace sensors with taps at the bridge).

Any thoughts on this change? Do you think it will work out for me? Any other suggestions for wahs that work well with humbuckers?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. baald

baald Member

trumpus - can't advise you where to go next, but i had the exact same experience with an RMC-3. Thought the tweakability would be great, but couldn't get a good sound from it. I finally realized that my penchant for lots of knobs just doesn't apply to wahs :)

i ended up with a kern (a tube wah) but can't say it'll stay forever. i'd like to try a clyde, an area 51, and the new crybaby (the classic? the one that is TB and has the fasel?). I think the clyde might have the right balance of adjustability and built-in goodness, at least from what people say (i might be thinking clyde deluxe tho...the one with just three well thought out sounds)

3. poutserman

poutserman Member

Why don't you try a Picture wah?It's very vocal and you don't have to tweak it(i hate tweaking wahs)I had an early Clyde which was great but sold it when i got the Picture wah as a gift.The Cyde has a broader sweep but doesn't really excell in any frequency range whereas the Picture wah is confined to a small but very pleasing range.

4. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Clyde has a much cleaner, more transparent tone compared to the Picture, which has a less aggressive tone than the RMC3. The Picture and the Clyde are both really, really sweet sounding wahs. Two different takes on the Clyde formula. I'd have a tough time deciding between the two if I had to.

5. tubes2bits

tubes2bits Guest

I agree. It was clean. But I didn't find any "character" in the pedal's tone.

I sold my Clyde for a Budda. Actually, I liked that better. However, I ended up going back to my all-time favorite... An $89.00 Hendrix (don't laugh). Narrow sweep, with mucho character.

Good luck.

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I have an RMC3LE and an original Clyde. For stomp and go, I prefer the Clyde. Especially with cleans! I think the RMC3LE has a little more grit and can be dialed in for more power with dirty sounds so it depends on what you're after.

That's my generalization between the two...

7. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I had a Clyde Deluxe for about a year. Thought it sounded great, but for some reason failed to inspire. Also, the pedal moved too much (up and down) for my tastes, not as bad as a Morely, but still felt a little uncomfortable. Having a wah feel comfortable under your foot is extremely important IMO - you wouldn't play a guitar that felt uncomfortable.

When I bought a Picture Wah my search was over. If it had a bunch of knobs to tweak it, I would not touch them - sounds great as is, and very comfortable to play (for me).

Final analysis - FCD is well made, and good sounding - TPW is well made and better sounding (and more comfortable to me).

8. trumpus

Thanks for all the great responses....

For those with good things to say about the TPW - are ya'll using humbuckers?

How does the RMC2 compare to the Picture wah and the RMC3?

I liked the tweakability ofr my 535, in that i had some options, but it wasn't overwhelming - i think the RMC2 is similar.

Brian

9. Nathan

Nathan Member

I was able to buy an RMC3LE because the original owner got another Fulltone. Boy was I happy! I never tried the Clyde and I don't even want to. The LE was difficult to figure out but I think I have about the most original, personalized wah possible. I DON'T think you can attain every wah tone out there with the RMC3 (even though theoretically it should be possible) but maybe you need to spend some more time with it (?). Of couse if you're fed up of tweaking or you can't nail down what you're after, I can see how anyone might opt for something else.

10. trumpus

Is 2 years not enough time?:D

Seriously. I feel like i've done a pretty thorough job tweaking this and just haven't been able to find a setting that i'm looking for.

I've tried all the sample settings, and had numerous suggestions from others, but still...nothing good for my particular setup. Now, i know a ton of people who have this wah and are infinitely happy, which i'm sure is no fluke, but for me, and my rig, it just hasn't given me the sound i'm looking for....

...so, onto my next wah i guess....

Brian

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Picture wah and have no need to look elsewhere. Step on and get great sound, this is the way it's supposed to be.

The only thing you need to do if you get an older one is do the shielding mod otherwise you'll get noise when stepping on your distortion pedal. The early ones weren't shielded well but the new ones are properly shielded.

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

For those with good things to say about the TPW - are ya'll using humbuckers?

I use humbuckers - SC's in my Strat - and P 90's in my LP Special - all sound killer with the PW

13. g-nem

g-nem Member

So the RMC3 is the more aggressive wah? I have to admit I like my wah raunchy- maybe I'm hearing you wrong when you say the clyde and picture wah are clean.

14. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I use and own 2 Area 51 wah pedal. I love the sound of mine and have compared it to my friend's RMC Picture wah. The Area 51 wah and RMC Picture wah are very close to each other, in terms of sound.

Guitar George

15. trumpus

Whi makes the Area 51? I've never heard of it...

Brian

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

I love the warm tone of my Teese Picture Wa, but it has a bad HUM when I turn it on! I emailed Geoffrey about it, and he said it's probably too close to my amp. So I tried setting the amp farther away from my pedals, and it still has that pesky HUM. Any idea's?

On the other hand, my Fulltone Clyde sounds great, and no hum problems with it. So, I use that for now.

Both are great Wa's - way better than Crybaby's, etc...

17. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey trumpus,

Dan Albrecht of Area 51 makes the Area 51 wah pedal. He's a former employee of Kendrick Amplifiers who started his own company, Area 51. I bought 2 Area 51 wah circuitboards and rebuilt 2 old Crybaby wah pedals with the Area 51 wah circuitboards. They sound killer now!!!

Here is the link:
    http://www.area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/index.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guitar George

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The hum is caused by the fasel inductor not being properly insulated. There was a thread about 2 months ago which spoke to this topic and yes you can reduce the hum to almost nothing with the use of nu-metal. Check out the thread because this is what I did as I had the same problem.

19. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

FWIW, I have owned a ton of wahs over the years. Mostly Vox/Dunlop. They'd last about 2-3 years before they'd bust.

In 1997 a then new company came out with a high end wah, the Fulltone Clyde. I checked it out against the others out at the time - Teese had one wah out at the time. I did try it. I bought one of the first Fulltone Clydes, serial #44.

I have never once looked back. Never wanted and NEVER disappointed.

For those guys seeking "character", well, character comes from your hands man. My Clyde suffers no lack of character, mojo or funkiness by *any* stretch. Mine will never leave my board, and in fact is the main reason I keep going back to my damn pedalboard when I have a G-System setup I dig. I just love the stupid Fulltone Clyde too much.

It is that good.

20. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I couldn't disagree more. I have a/b the picture with my rmc3 and I can nail the exact tone, sweep and quack. Using the rmc3 is not easy, but it isn't for beginners or kids either. I admitt that playing with the setting (literally thousands) it is kinda like smelling too much colognes or perfume, they all smell the same, but that is a human mistake..... THe Budda is a great wah. THe Fulltone is ok, too! IMO there is no comparison to the rmc3 or the picture wah. Geoff might be coming out with a new product next year I hear.... cool! Did I mention the FK-1 is a kick ARSE compressor, too, for old ROSS compressor sound. I am curious on the BJF pale green, but 3 times the price.